PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Thanks a lot guys, for the input. I think I have experimented enough with lakelands, and I have made up my mind. I like them, I like some of them more than others, and they are something that will definitely stick in my cellar. The stronger ones, vitamine n wise, like 1792 is not something I reach out for on a regulare basis, but condor or st brun are two blends, for example, that I hardly ran out during the past year. This being said:

First of all, I think it is not too late to save my Stanwell Zebrano from the lakeland haunting throng, or at leas I will try. Just like the fox with the sower grapes, I will say that the bowl was too large for the lakeland genre anyway. I will dedicate a meer for them, I have a filterless one too, with a small enough bowl that will make them enjoyable. All joke aside, I have avoided the stronger lakelands simply because they came in such large bowls along with such a strong punch. For some reason, I have gotten it through my head that flake is better enjoyed in large bowls. I still back up this belief, but when I first tried 1792 in a no 4 dunhill, then a 320 volcano, I was overwhelmed. So a smaller bowl may be the way to go.

Secondly, for the rosy lakelands I will dedicate another pipe. I have a vauen second with a medium sized bowl, hardly smoked, that should work well. It's not that the Zebrano is too nice of a pipe to pair with lakelands, but the Zebrano is a nice enough of a pipe that I feel I should employ it in smoking blends I enjoy more often.

All in all ... soapy aromatics can ghost, latakia may be an issue as well, but I have learned that lakelands are a serious case, if not the most emblematic case for ghosting.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@madox07 ,Thanks for sharing your thoughts,decidedly I find anything bigger than size group3(max.4)by Dunhill is excessive,and Yes,consecutive /repeated bowls of hever lakelands might turn to be tiresome ,similarly as with stronger latakias, nontheless personally in my opinion a pipe ghosted with Latakia is even more repellent than that one sauced with Lakeland aroma'when smoking anything in Lakeland genre or tobaccies like Erinmore/Amphora Red I'm preferring pipe like this Medium size Stanwell , Meerschaums are also good option but not necessary

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
I don't smoke Lakeland blends never felt the need to try one.

Now given some of the comments here about how Lakeland's smell and taste like old lady perfume,...I'm even less inclined to give them a try. It just sounds foul.

Years ago I used to smoke nothing but aromatics and I have a lot of older pipes that I use for blends with heavy toppings. But nowadays I don't smoke aros much, so I'm content with the few aromatic blends that I currently have in my cellar.

Reactions: rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I don't smoke Lakeland blends never felt the need to try one.

Now given some of the comments here about how Lakeland's smell and taste like old lady perfume,...I'm even less inclined to give them a try. It just sounds foul.

Years ago I used to smoke nothing but aromatics and I have a lot of older pipes that I use for blends with heavy toppings. But nowadays I don't smoke aros much, so I'm content with the few aromatic blends that I currently have in my cellar.
Your avatar pic has a tin of War Horse and, while not technically a "Lakeland" there are some overlaps in flavor. I'd say not to count them off entirely until you've tried them!

Last edited:

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
Your avatar pic has a tin of War Horse and, while not technically a "Lakeland" there are some overlaps in flavor. I'd say not to count them off entirely until you've tried them!

Yes, there is a sort of mild flowery kind taste to War Horse. It's in the background and not all that obtrusive. It's also not exactly a blend I would choose to smoke often because of that floral taste....Not that there is anything wrong with War Horse, it's just one of those tobaccos I have to be in the mood for.

Reactions: rushx9

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I wonder if I will ever be able to get that ghost out, or I should rest the case, and keep this pipe dedicated for lakelands until it catches a legion of ghosts.

Prince Albert has usually been a pretty good ghostbuster for my pipes. Sometimes I'll smoke a bag of it through a bowl between ghosty tobaccos just because I don't want lakeland flavors to ruin the absolute perfection that is Captain Black Grape.

I kid, I kid.

Reactions: madox07

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City

It's definitely an acquired taste, like black coffee or Islay whisky. Once you get over the hump there are some tasty things though. BUT of course if the flavor really turns you off there's no reason to force yourself through it. War Horse bar does have an element of it though, like @rushx9 was saying.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Prince Albert has usually been a pretty good ghostbuster for my pipes. Sometimes I'll smoke a bag of it through a bowl between ghosty tobaccos just because I don't want lakeland flavors to ruin the absolute perfection that is Captain Black Grape.

I kid, I kid.

In spite of how much I appreciate Prince Albert, I can't get it here in Europe. I did manage to get the legion out with rubbing alcohol in the mortise, elbow grease, salt baths and more elbow grease. I smoked a virginia last night and they were all gone, except for a faint scent of palace gate cocoa just before the bowl was entirely done. I am guessing that with a few more smoke even that is going to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.