PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
I've seen it stated many times that it is, in fact, Rose-Geranium. But in MSO's defense, there are a few listed on tobacco reviews as both rose and geranium. Not sure how that info got there but they make it look like manufacturers info. Grasmere comes to mind, and it really does taste specifically of rose petals. Maybe some use RG and others just use r and g, or all of the above?
Tobacco Reviews also says, as of today, that Peterson’s Hyde Park is made by GH. Chris Gawith says that hasn’t been true in years. The info on TR has come from a variety of sources over many years, and might or might not reflect any “official” information. The person I know with the most “inside” knowledge and has addressed the subject (not Chris) says they use RG (one substance). There are Turkish candies out there that use RG, if you try one or two of those, you won’t have any doubt.

Reactions: madox07 and rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Correct as far as it goes, but some of the tobaccos they use do in fact have a distinctive taste that is present before they leave the country of origin. If you want to experience the difference in how Virginia’s can taste without intervention by the blender, and want to move away from discussing Lakelands, give Dan’s Patriot Flake a try. Not a Lakeland taste at all, some swear it has Turkish in it, but the blender says not, just a healthy portion of Virginia seed tobacco grown and cured in India.
Never tried DPF but I have noticed the florality of African&Indian VAs in other blends. Even Rattray's Old Gowrie has a little of that going on. Perhaps African Fire Cured contributes to this as well. I think that's why people claim to taste "Lakeland" on everything touched by a Gawith. SG only makes a few blends that use floral essences and some are convinced they are all infected. Some say the same about Royal Yacht when it's just heavy African VAs with Dunhill's plum topping and either a perique-like treatment or fermented tobacco juice added back to it. And I'm with you in wishing folks would just say "floral essences" instead of "Lakeland", but it's too late to turn that ship around now. Its firmly in the vernacular.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
The info on TR has come from a variety of sources over many years, and might or might not reflect any “official” information.
I wish they would only state legit, verified manufacturers info in the blurb before the actual reviews. Or include a "suggested edit" feature. Might curtail much confusion.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Pelargonium, Valerian Root is used in War Horse Bar, Heliotrope is used in War Horse Green, if you search through the old threads on here I think we told everyone what was used to flavor those two blends originally. Other additions would be Madeira Wine, Gum Arabic as a binding agent. I have often wondered what they used to flavor Condor and St Bruno.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Pelargonium, Valerian Root is used in War Horse Bar, Heliotrope is used in War Horse Green, if you search through the old threads on here I think we told everyone what was used to flavor those two blends originally. Other additions would be Madeira Wine, Gum Arabic as a binding agent. I have often wondered what they used to flavor Condor and St Bruno.
Straight from the (War) Horse's mouth!

Reactions: lightmybriar

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Just to be clear Pelargonium Oil (Rose Geranium) was never in War Horse and is a Lakeland 'thing' which I happen to be very partial too. Valerian Root extract was used to offset the fact that W.H was made from Empire Grown Tobacco (i.e) from Africa and the Valerian was added to stop people wrenching on the stuff. Incidentally the ribs of the tobacco leaves used in W.H back in the day were ground up to make snuff so if you didn't fry your brain smoking the stuff you could snort yourself into oblivion!

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Just to be clear Pelargonium Oil (Rose Geranium) was never in War Horse and is a Lakeland 'thing' which I happen to be very partial too. Valerian Root extract was used to offset the fact that W.H was made from Empire Grown Tobacco (i.e) from Africa and the Valerian was added to stop people wrenching on the stuff. Incidentally the ribs of the tobacco leaves used in W.H back in the day were ground up to make snuff so if you didn't fry your brain smoking the stuff you could snort yourself into oblivion!
I've acquired a bar and some ready cut. Intense in strength and scent! Green is next on the "must acquire" list, especially if there's even the remotest similarity to the beloved Condor!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The W.H. Green is a funny animal. It was cooked up by Russ O the brilliant blender from Pipes & Cigars for Standard Tobacco. To me it was like smoking a glass of anisette but if you let it air out for a little while you realize it's a Heliotrope flavor or what some people call the Cherry Pie plant or others have compared to the scent of Play Dough. Either way it has its devoted followers and boy can it ghost a pipe!

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
That is some interesting information! Wonder how it mixes with today's medicines, as valerian root is used to help with sleep and calming the nerves.

Reactions: rushx9

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have no idea what P&C have done with the blend since they purchased the trademarks from ourselves but I would imagine they must have stuck closely to the original composition since they seem to sell an awful lot of W.H.

Reactions: madox07 and rushx9

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Myself, Dan (woods road) and John were the owners of the Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania Ltd owners of the trademarks for Bengal Slices, War Horse Bar and Rub Your Own, John Cottons 1 and 1&2 and Smerna as well Dobey's and Murray's. In conduction with Russ O of C.I we resurrected all of the above blends after they had been missing since the early 1980s and put up with endless crap from armchair enthusiasts who had never done jack! We sold the whole catalogue to C.I last year so we could pursue other ventures in the tobacco space.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Myself, Dan (woods road) and John were the owners of the Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania Ltd owners of the trademarks for Bengal Slices, War Horse Bar and Rub Your Own, John Cottons 1 and 1&2 and Smerna as well Dobey's and Murray's. In conduction with Russ O of C.I we resurrected all of the above blends after they had been missing since the early 1980s and put up with endless crap from armchair enthusiasts who had never done jack! We sold the whole catalogue to C.I last year so we could pursue other ventures in the tobacco space.
And here I thought you could be Batman or better yet Condorman!
That's awesome information, sorry about the endless crap though! It sounds like a challenging endeavor, even more so during these times. Thanks for the back story which adds to the experience, knowledge, and mystery to these forums.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
^I'm pretty sure he is, indeed, Condorman! Simon, if you don't already have that printed out and hanging in your office, you should!

Status
Not open for further replies.