PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
I am using my grandfather’s old ashtray today. Smoking some Peter Stokkebye 1931.

Bronze is a copper and tin alloy. My grandfather was born in 1886.

Attachments

• IMG_0926.jpeg
    IMG_0926.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0924.jpeg
    IMG_0924.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0930.jpeg
    IMG_0930.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

H

HRPufnstuf

That's a gorgeous heirloom! A wonderful tie to your family!

I hope you'll forgive me for sharing a few images of my tobacco inheritance from my paternal grandfather.

He served in North Africa battle testing the Ordnance QF 6 PDR Mk. 1. He sent this firing pin home as a souvenir.

IMG_0151.JPGIMG_0146.JPGIMG_0148.JPG

I have never shared this with anyone outside family. I thought it might be appreciated here.

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
I love it! And I'm glad you still have this in use.
Are you smoking Erik Stokkebye 1931? That's a fabulous blend. It's one of the blends I consistently re-order.
Technically you are correct, the tin is sold by Erik, But as the description notes, 1931 is his father Peter’s blend.

Attachments

• IMG_0948.jpeg
    IMG_0948.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Rossi320 and yanoJL

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
That's a gorgeous heirloom! A wonderful tie to your family!

I hope you'll forgive me for sharing a few images of my tobacco inheritance from my paternal grandfather.

He served in North Africa battle testing the Ordnance QF 6 PDR Mk. 1. He sent this firing pin home as a souvenir.

View attachment 263292View attachment 263293View attachment 263294

I have never shared this with anyone outside family. I thought it might be appreciated here.
Your ashtray is fantastic piece of art. My grandfather whose ashtray started this thread was a Polish immigrant. All three of his sons served in combat for our country- one was severely wounded in the Battle of the Bulge and earned the Purple Heart. Another flew over 50 combat missions and is in the Smithsonian Air Force Hall of Fame.

I have another ashtray that was “trench art” brought back from the war. It’s at my office and I will post a photo later.

Last edited:
H

HRPufnstuf

Your ashtray is fantastic piece of art. My grandfather whose ashtray started this thread was a Polish immigrant. All three of his sons served in combat for our country- one was severely wounded in the Battle of the Bulge and earned the Purple Heart. Another flew over 50 combat missions and is in the Smithsonian Air Force Hall of Fame.

I have another ashtray that was “trench art” brought back from the war. It’s at my office and I will post a photo later.
I look forward to seeing it. :)

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Very cool! My maternal grandfather was born in 1893 (I’m 45, go figure) and his ashtray was passed on to my dad. It was made by Lalique and depicts a Koi fish:

0888DFF8-088B-4877-A10A-F8B0D17BA5BB.jpeg

Rather than wait a few decades I sought one out and bought it. I‘ve used it daily for at least 10 years, probably 15. That ancestral connection means quite a lot, although mine is more representative than direct.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Very cool! My maternal grandfather was born in 1893 (I’m 45, go figure) and his ashtray was passed on to my dad. It was made by Lalique and depicts a Koi fish:

View attachment 264173

Rather than wait a few decades I sought one out and bought it. I‘ve used it daily for at least 10 years, probably 15. That ancestral connection means quite a lot, although mine is more representative than direct.
Trying to do the math on your generations. My grandparents were born around then, too. But I'm several months shy of 70 and my mother was 41 when she had me. So 1 or 2 of your generations must have featured much older men with younger wives who gave birth.

Last edited:
Reactions: tfdickson