Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
Title edited for caps. Rule 9!

Tomatoes---
San Marzano; Roma; Big Beef--there are already some blossoms!
Eggplants---
Black Beauty; Ichiban
Cucumbers---
Armenian
Squash---
Black Beauty Zucchini
Peppers(so far)---
Fresno Chilis; Curly Italian
Onions(so far)---
Red

I hope to add some Red Bell and Anaheim
Green Onions, Radishes and Sugar Snaps
Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Lucky sonofabitch! You're down in the flatlands of the San Joaquin, so you can grow year round. Here in Frazier Park, we're reduced to either coldboxes, or indoor pots, the latter of which we've got going. Hard to grow much of anything in this, except maybe pine trees:

12.30.21 backyard snow.jpg

From November until sometimes as late as the end of May, this is my backyard. Anyway, got some scallions, basil, and cilantro growing indoors. First time trying to grow anything, so not bad I guess. And +1 on the above, cheers to your growing season, and may it be ample!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Love it and glad to hear you've got it up and running! I'm sick of the schizophrenic weather here in TN, so I'm all-inning my spring garden starting today before yet more rain. Cole crops, lettuces, and arugula going in. Will start root crops (taters, carrots, beets) as time allows.

Reactions: Hovannes and STP
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Tomatoes---
San Marzano; Roma; Big Beef--there are already some blossoms!
Eggplants---
Black Beauty; Ichiban
Cucumbers---
Armenian
Squash---
Black Beauty Zucchini
Peppers(so far)---
Fresno Chilis; Curly Italian
Onions(so far)---
Red

I hope to add some Red Bell and Anaheim
Green Onions, Radishes and Sugar Snaps
Time will tell.
Did that once and a hard frost occurred in April.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I've planted a red Bell pepper this morning.
I'll try to find an Anaheim tomorrow.
I'm kind of running out of time as I've got two more cardiac stents being installed on Saturday
so no shoveling for awhile, until my wrist heals.

Reactions: kcghost and jpmcwjr

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Congrats... here in FL last frost is Never 31st. Growing season is January 1st - January 1st.

My garden is still very much in the works, both functionally and aesthetically. I am maximizing suburban space. I use dead space along the ground to plant things where soil is Native FL soil (literal sand), like watermelon and squash. Sod will most likely be placed in the spots I do not use once the setup is finalized. I am also going heavy on the side of the house with pots to try and sell at markets. I planted the Native American 4 sisters on the other side of the house (corn, black beans, squash, and sunflower... all hundred year old heirlooms).

Okra sprouting, remnants of winter garden, letting some things go to seed so I can reduce carbon footprint and save money, broccoli rabe was planted late. Fava beans, adzuki beans, and Chinese yard long beans sprouted and growing near the unfinished bamboo trellis.
IMG_0071.JPGIMG_0073.JPG

Use of dead space without soil, potatoes, guava tree, pineapples, squash, sprouts... Two plantain trees to canopy the entranceway when they grow. Cactus patch in back to keep me focused. It hurts if I jolt into it.
IMG_0075.JPGIMG_0074.JPG

New traditional medicine bed filled with medicinal herbs (not done, most are transplants due to harsh summer heat), shaded in all directions. Extra space with pots. Growing a tamarind tree and hawthorn tree (to dry flowers for medicine)
IMG_0077.JPGIMG_0076.JPG

Native American 4 sisters have started growing... Besides using the sunflowers as a decoy against birds, I can use them to dye clothes black. All my transplants and hopefully enough to sell at market.
IMG_0080.JPGIMG_0081.JPG
12 inch path stones for reference :)
IMG_0082.JPGIMG_0051.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 2

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
I've got Roma tomatoes and heirloom Oaxaca tomatoes going, oh and I think some cherry tomatoes. I've got about 10 different kinds of peppers though which take up tomato slots. I know they're more specialty for such a small garden but I hope to transition this to how I feed myself someday.

This is my first year square foot gardening. In SFG yields are slightly smaller but you can add an absurd number of crop in some situations. Like for carrots, last year I planted one row, maybe 2 carrots per square foot max. With SFG you plant 16 carrots per square foot and they grow fine... Some things can only have one crop per SF, like peppers and tomatoes, okra as well. Cucumbers can have 2 plants per SF, etc...

Here's a chart :

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
After surgery, I'm supposed to limit my physical activities for a week.
No physical exertion warns my cardiologist.
Fortunately putting in onion sets requires no physical exertion
----just poke a wooden dowel in soft soil, insert an onion set and cover.
So today is going to be an onion day.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
The local ag college had a plant sale today. I added 3 strawberries, a Marconi pepper, a Sweet 100 tomato and an Orient Express eggplant.
The garden is starting to look awesome!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Bought a new house last year in an historic hay field. Heavy clay and no truck mean no manure to start transforming this soil into magic. Still, I had fantastic luck last year with One Sucker Burley, so this year, I'm experimenting some more:
IMG_20220401_194706258.jpgIMG_20220323_155142153.jpg