My First Plug Experience Courtesy Of Member Oldreddog.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Paul I like the routine of plugs so I just slice enough for a bowl at a time. I know that other posters cut up a quantity and save it.
Jay ah well it's not for you so.

Ropes are great craic, cigar cutters,knives, scissors slice dice cube quater rub or stack....I wish you well in your endeavour.

But I tell ya if you don't like brown bogie I coming round to your house to slag off your mineral collection so there :nana:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I coming round to your house to slag off your mineral collection so there..."
Well you best bring your own microscope because you ain't borrowing mine :nana:
Regards,
Jay.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Sorry to hear revor is not to your liking. I would recommend you stick with it & smoke the pouch though.

Revor is a very different tasting smoke to the norm, & it takes most people a fair few smokes to actually settle down the taste buds to actually realise what their tasting. (If that makes sense)

Sit yourself down in one of those nice beer gardens, looking out at the sea. With a nice pint of Cornish ale, can't be that hard to finish the pouch!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Dave, I'm pleased to report that my mineral collection is safe from being inspected by your critical eye...Brown/Happy Bogie is a great smoke...no burning tyres here!
That said I am pleased I took the precaution of smoking it in the smallest bowled pipe (a Portland prince with a zillion fills) that is in my regular rotation. Blimey that is a powerfully loaded nicotine bomb. I do have a seemingly high tolerance of nicotine but I was made very aware of it in BB. A lovely, dare I say it, slightly fruity blend...looking forward to more on the morrow.
Simon, yes Revor is indeed very different however one knows when one is smoking something unpleasant to them and I know for a fact I could never like it. Look on the bright side...it means more Revor for you :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Oh well, if it's not for you it's not for you. At least it's one off the list. (& the list is long)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I find that flakes and plugs are often more flavorful. Not sure why, except that most of the tobacco is not exposed to oxygen and light.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
well I shaved and dried 2 bowls worth of G&H Dark plug Aromatic for 3.5 hours and loaded up a bowl full.Still difficult to keep lit but better.The other bowl full is starting to turn brown from black as it dries so I will leave it a bit longer and try that.I will not be beaten!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Paul, though I have had and enjoyed Dark Flake (unscented) I have yet to try the plug version. Of the few plugs I have tried I have usually been successful with their burn rate without any dry time. That said you must do whatever is right for you but do be aware you are likely to have a longer smoke if like me you shave off slices then cube them (I use a pair of surgical scissors).
Regards Brown Bogie, I had another bowl as my first of the day this morning and blimey did it wake me up! I think I might try cutting it 70/30 with something like FVF or Brown Sugar Flake in an attempt to tame it somewhat...but don't tell Dave!
This whole plug experience has been a bit of an eye opener for me and hopefully the same for you Paul.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well Dave you got more balls than I have!
Am smoking your Condor Plug right now as it happens :puffy:
Got my Bernina bent billiard already loaded with what is perhaps my last full pipeful of Erinmore Plug ready for when the news starts at 7pm.
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Don't know how I missed this thread (guess it was during my time off period) but it's worth bumping for the photos alone.
I will add that not only do I love all the plugs mentioned above, including Revor Plug (McConnell's Latakia Flake is my replacement for that in the States). I have recently become very fond of GL Pease's Temple Bar. This one is just a delight to my senses and it's really good to see plugs being released in the American market by American's at that. Nothing however, will beat the almighty Condor Plug. Much to my chagrin, I came into the plug market just a tad bit late and missed out on what I can only assume would be right up my ally because I love the flake version and that one is Erinmore Plug and I just fell in love with Velvan Plug just in time for them to yank it off the shelves, woe is me, at least I still have my Condor and I'm stocking up on that one just in case "they" deem it no longer viable.
Anyway, good thread Jay, I always love reading about plugs and even better yet looking at plugs. I hope you are still enjoying your plugs!
My parting shot:
gV3eDwK.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
$195.20 for 500g, current Pipe Divan price, is too steep for my blood. It's very good but not that good.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah, with shipping it’s close to $250 per 500g and the price just continues to climb. I purchase some every three months or so and I always notice a price increase, which is another reason I need to get my lifetime supply ASAP. I’m about 20 plugs shy of my goal.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Yeah, with shipping it’s close to $250 per 500g
This is exactly why I have never tried to acquire any Condor, fear I might really like it. 500g of something I'm in the mood for regularly could be gone in 10 days, too rich for my blood.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Great photos.
I just hope UK authorities do not learn that mawnansmiff has a pocket knife. The result would certainly be a full-on raid followed by years of confinement.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
This is exactly why I have never tried to acquire any Condor, fear I might really like it. 500g of something I'm in the mood for regularly could be gone in 10 days, too rich for my blood.

I treat the Brit plugs as treats, not everyday smokes. Condor, McQuaid, and the lost and lamented Warrior are all favorites, but Revor is my standout blend. If it were readily available here in the states, I could easily go codger and smoke nothing but until my final bowl. As Hawky suggests above, McConnell's Latakia Flake is a really good stateside substitute, but it's a substitute nonetheless. Viva la Revor!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Price is the thing with plugs. Salty Dogs is $182.80 for 500g, but I've been loading up on it when I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.