My First Plug Experience Courtesy Of Member Oldreddog.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
On a recent thread where we were discussing different cuts of tobacco, I happened to mention I had yet to experience any plug tobaccos. Hours later I found I had a PM from forum member David, aka 'Oldreddog' offering to post me a sample of Condor Plug and of Erinmore Plug if I was interested.
Well, Condor Long Cut (flake) is my favourite tobacco and Erinmore Flake within my top ten favourites so to be offered Condor Plug and Erinmore Plug was double delight for me. After an inordinately long time (I wondered if HM Customs had snaffled the package) it finally dropped onto my doormat.
I eagerly opened her up and was delighted to find not only what he had offered me but also a generous hunk of Jack Knife Plug and a few other loose tobaccos (HU Director's Cut, Maltan Ready Rubbed and a couple of flakes of Peterson's UF!). I was in tobacco heaven!
First to trial was the Condor Plug. Out came my vintage Sheffield made (the best in the world) super sharp carbon steel pocket knife. Now though I had no experience of plugs, I had read enough about their preparation to know what to do but one thing I wasn't quite expecting was how damned hard this stuff was...it was hard as wood! I managed to shave off several very thin sheets which by themselves broke apart into something resembling a very fine cube cut. So far so good.
I loaded up my Mcquade bent bulldog and gravity fed my loose cubes whilst pressing gently. Fully loaded I lit up. Immediately I recognized the distinct Condor flavour and settled down to enjoy the smoke. As an aside, I used to buy Condor Ready Rubbed until I discovered their Long Cut (flake), the latter being a much more flavoursome smoke so now only buy that. The plug is very similar flavourwise but slightly more intense with the 'floral' topping being perhaps a little more pronounced. I thoroughly enjoyed that smoke which seemed to last forever and the same with subsequent smokes, a very enjoyable way to pass an hour or so. A couple of relights were required but I put that down to the freshness of the baccy (it came to me factory sealed.
Condor Plug...
1x8-600x400.jpg

2x9-600x400.jpg

3x8-600x400.jpg

Second up was the much vaunted Jack Knife Plug. This was a different beast altogether being somewhat dry it was therefore harder to cut. Also I did need to be careful here as the layers were starting to delaminate themselves and it wasn't easy to get even flakes but I did manage to get enough for a bowl with judicious cutting.

Fired up and puffed away and immediately got the gorgeous dark fired Kentucky flavours that I love so much. Further into the smoke there was an earthy nuttiness with the lightest hint of bitter chocolate. This really is a multi flavoured blend and I find each smoke to be slightly different from the last. I put this down to the uneven layering of the component leaves.
Jack Knife Plug...
1x9-600x400.jpg

2x10-600x400.jpg

Finally it was time for the Erinmore Plug. This very dark, almost oily 'brick' cut just as well as the Condor giving me small sheets that I broke into smaller chunks. Loaded and lit I got that Erinmore Flake flavour but much more intensely, I hate using the word 'awesome' but it really was awesome. The flavours really came out after only a few tugs and they really sang right until the end.
One huge difference here twixt the flake and the plug is that one gets far more tobacco flavour from the plug version despite the 'plum/berry' topping being ever present.
Erinmore Plug...
1x10-600x400.jpg

2x11-600x400.jpg

3x9-600x400.jpg

In conclusion I would also add that each of the three plugs were extremely slow burners with hour long smokes being easily achievable even for a fast puffer like me and their flavours were very intense indeed and what initially appears to be a small amount of tobacco actually goes a heck of a long way.
My huge thanks to David (Oldreddog) for introducing me to plug tobacco in such a way, such generosity to total strangers seems to be an ongoing theme on this forum and I am humbled to have been gifted these plugs plus the other blends. I hope to repay that kindness in the near future.
I hope some of you managed to get to the end of this without falling asleep :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Nice to hear. Nice photos too.BTW what's the verdict on maltan? I've heard said its a bit like the old st. Bruno, this true?

Regards, Simon.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Lovely share, mate! Thanks for all the info; I too am a plug-virgin, but I'll definitely add some to my next round of TAD!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Simon, am still working on the Maltan RR but I can say thus far it is a great smoke. I'll have more info once the sample is all gone. As for it being like the old St. Bruno, I have only smoked the new and would tentatively say Maltan is more flavoursome.
Nate, Director's Cut is the spiciest VaPer I have yet smoked, knocks Dunghill's Deluxe Navy Rolls into a cocked hat. Imagine Elizabethan Mixture with more balls and you would be close to the mark. EM I would say is the smoother of the two and perhaps given the choice twixt the two I would pick EM though DC is far from being a duff smoke.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Nice photography!"
Thanks John, I have special lenses + other gear for photographing micro minerals (usually around a couple of millimetres) so close ups are pretty much a doddle. With a bit of luck you might well be tasting your plugs in a Barling meerschaum pot...so sorry for the delay :oops:
I also forgot to mention that these experiences with plugs got me to buying two of my own. Sam Gawith's Full Virginia Plug and Gawith & Hoggarth's Kendal Plug. Again, very slow burners with great intensity of flavour. Tomorrow I shall be ordering Peterson's Perfect Plug.
Am so pleased to have entered a new chapter in pipe smoking :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Those plugs look delicious. Gonna throw a few tins of Jackknife Plug into my next order. Hurry up payday!

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Those in the UK are very lucky to have access to so many great plugs. Yes, they can be a bit of a bother to prepare, but boy, they're good. I wish I still had access to Revor plug and RB plug.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hugo, of the three plugs I reviewed only Jack Knife Plug is available here in the UK and it is hideously expensive to buy. The Condor and Erinmore Plugs are only available from Ireland and they too are pretty expensive in comparison to other tobaccos. That said, I have just put in an order for both as I enjoyed them so much.
As regards preparation goes it only takes a minute or so to cut enough for a single bowl and that short effort is so rewarding for the intensity of the smoking experience.
Fitzy, go on and give it a go, you may well enjoy it. Do report back if you do.
Regards,
Jay.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Didn't realize the Erinmore Plug was only available in Ireland. A very kind gentleman once sent me Condor plug, which was delicious and the Gaelic health warning was interesting. Can you still get Yachtsman?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hugo, regards the availability of Yachtsman I'm afraid I cannot advise. Perhaps Oldreddog might know as it too is a Murray product.
As an aside, my Peterson's Perfect Plug arrived this morning and after smoking just a single bowl am not overly impressed. Let's hope things improve with further trials.
Regards,
Jay.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Hugo Petersons did have Yachtsman the last time I was there. Although there is uncertainty over the future production of the plugs made by STG.
Jay I'd suggest perseverance with PPP and hopefully it will click for you. I really rate it.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Thank you, gentlemen, for answering my questions. I enjoy plugs very much when I can get them, which is becoming more difficult. I am amazed at the quality of tobaccos available at a British or Irish newsagents.

Status
Not open for further replies.