My First Pipe Project - Sea Urchin (with Progress Pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Rough? This looks as professional as they get!
Very kind of you; there are a few flaws I think... the chamfering of the chamber leaves a little to be desired and I had a few issues lining up the detailing ‘nodules’ (if that’s what they are!).

I think I got away with it as it’s a very natural looking object and it’s a learning curve but really appreciate your kind words. It smokes great and I’m proud of to use it which is what it’s all about! ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Very kind of you; there are a few flaws I think... the chamfering of the chamber leaves a little to be desired and I had a few issues lining up the detailing ‘nodules’ (if that’s what they are!).

I think I got away with it as it’s a very natural looking object and it’s a learning curve but really appreciate your kind words. It smokes great and I’m proud of to use it which is what it’s all about! ?

That's the difference between a proper craftsman and an occasional hack like me, I don't even see the flaws in yours, and the flaws I do see in the two (soon 3) pipes I carved out of hobby blocks would be laughed out of any serious craftsmans' forum as unfinished :)
But my pipes smoke very well, I like their shapes and know I made them myself so that's all I care about!

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
That's the difference between a proper craftsman and an occasional hack like me, I don't even see the flaws in yours, and the flaws I do see in the two (soon 3) pipes I carved out of hobby blocks would be laughed out of any serious craftsmans' forum as unfinished :)
But my pipes smoke very well, I like their shapes and know I made them myself so that's all I care about!
I wouldn’t call myself a craftsman but appreciate it. ?

Hah! Unfinished? I think ‘rustic’ is the term you’re looking for isn’t it?! :LOL: You’re right, there’s nothing quite like enjoying something you’ve made that works as intended.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Update: finally got round to lighting it! I left it a few days as I was paranoid about the moisture I’d put into it and waxed over.

To my - albeit novice - standards, it smokes great, and it’s my new favourite.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Agreed with everyone else here. That is an outstanding first pipe. I would suspect you must already have quite a bit of woodworking / carving experience to make something that good on a first go. We may have a burgeoning high grade pipe craftsman in our midst. Very cool pipe!

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Agreed with everyone else here. That is an outstanding first pipe. I would suspect you must already have quite a bit of woodworking / carving experience to make something that good on a first go. We may have a burgeoning high grade pipe craftsman in our midst. Very cool pipe!
Thank you very much! ? I’ve been collecting vintage hand tools for around 4 years and started actually putting them to use around a year or so ago. I spend most of my spare time pottering in my wood/leather/‘whatever I can find to pick apart’ shop though ? I’m not sure I’ll reach the echelons of skill I’ve seen on projects in this forum, but I’ll have fun making! Thanks again for the kind words.

Status
Not open for further replies.