PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
One of the main reasons I smoke, aside from the simple enjoyment, is the nic glow/buzz, without having to inhale like cigarettes and other stuff. I’ve never expected any sickness, but if I do smoke too much, will get a sore throat. I tried dark fired Kentucky thinking it might be too strong, but wasn’t, although it was the Amphora, considered more mild... I should try Mac Barren HH dark fired, maybe that one will put me over the edge, it is supposed to be strong.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
One of the main reasons I smoke, aside from the simple enjoyment, is the nic glow/buzz, without having to inhale like cigarettes and other stuff. I’ve never expected any sickness, but if I do smoke too much, will get a sore throat. I tried dark fired Kentucky thinking it might be too strong, but wasn’t, although it was the Amphora, considered more mild... I should try Mac Barren HH dark fired, maybe that one will put me over the edge, it is supposed to be strong.
;c Baren Old Dark Fired is not much stronger than Amphora Kentucky they about the same but tastes a bit different for that matter I'd advice trying out their HH Bold Kentucky if you're looking for stronger nic yet bolder taste, another popular option might be is Mc Barens HH Rustica and Peterson Irish Flake

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Red Man Golden Blend was one of my regulars when I chewed. It was usually either Golden Blend or original. I never liked the Silver Blend though.
I never got a strong nic hit from any pipe tobacco but I tried some Red Man Golden chewing tobacco once and I heaved for an hour.

Thank god that Golden Blend isn't readily available near me. I LOVED that stuff.

Believe it or not, the only time I got a big Nic hit as described by OP was from GLP Gaslight of all things. Didn't dry it enough, puffed and torched it like a coal furnace, and smoked it out of a giant MM Freehand. Crappy feeling for sure.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’m guessing my tolerance must be higher than most folks’. The ropes I’ve tried so far don’t really do anything to me nicotine-wise, and reportedly they are pretty strong. Black XX and Brown #4 give me a gentle nic effect with a big bowl, definitely not head-swimming. And I enjoy stuff like War Horse Bar, 1792, etc. That said, I mostly smoke pipe tobacco for the taste, not the nicotine.
not necessarily. A lot of factors can effect how you absorb nicotine. It's also possible you just don't get as much in your system or as quickly. I rarely get the too much nicotine response but it's not so much just my tolerance I also exhibit signs that point to my system quickly metabolizing nicotine. Or why even when I've really gotten dizzy and violently ill from nicotine it's only lasted for 20 minutes and I start craving more in less then an hour. I have only had one time a pipe gave me nico over dose. Other forms more often. Pipes even really strong pipes absorb pretty slowly.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
When McClelland came out with the Blakeney's Best,I tried some,and it was my first experience with a higher nicotine blend.The flavor was very good.It was more interesting than the full Latakia mixtures I had been smoking,which I was tired of.So it was worth it to me to learn to manage the nicotine element,and get a more interesting smoke.One thing led to another. ?

Oct 7, 2016
I never got a strong nic hit from any pipe tobacco but I tried some Red Man Golden chewing tobacco once and I heaved for an hour.
I swallowed a whole chew of Beechnut while playing third base in a sandlot baseball game at age 15. While I am not nicotine insensitive, I think I acquired lifetime immunity to the symptoms of major nic hit from being as sick as I have ever felt from that dreadful experience. Gawith ropes don’t cause any problems.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I swallowed a whole chew of Beechnut while playing third base in a sandlot baseball game at age 15. While I am not nicotine insensitive, I think I acquired lifetime immunity to the symptoms of major nic hit from being as sick as I have ever felt from that dreadful experience. Gawith ropes don’t cause any problems.
I swallowed some Skoal when I was a kid. Thought I was going to throw up my toenails ?

Kingdom Dokha

Lurker
Jan 15, 2020
Oh man, I remember my first nic hit. It wasn't even with normal American or European style tobacco. I was about 16 or 17 and had been smoking herb for a while and thought I could hit a pipe. I had friends that recently visited their Dad working in Dubai and they had brought back some of the traditional tobacco from the region called "dokha". It's a unique strain that isn't fermented and aged and has a really low moisture content and is essentially ground up. It's smoke out of a little pipe called a medwakh and leaves a instant buzz called a "laf raas" or head spin in Arabic.

Being young and curious I asked if I could take puff. Only I didn't puff on it. I took a long and deep drag and held for a few seconds before coughing it out. What ensued next I will never forget. It took a second to kick in but hit me like a ton of bricks. I had such a strong spin I literally had to lay on a bed looking up for what seemed to be at least five minute. I felt my eyes fluttering and my whole body had an intense tingle. After 5 minutes or so I got up and asked my buddy "hey man, think I could get another one of those?" :ROFLMAO:

Needless to although being very intense, I certainly enjoyed it. Dokha feels very differently than other tobaccos. Not really sure what it is about it. The buzz is much more in the head than in the stomach without the nausea. When I would inhale cigarettes or rolling tobacco it was a much heavier almost "sick to the stomach" kind of sensation.

Oh man, I remember my first nic hit. It wasn't even with normal American or European style tobacco. I was about 16 or 17 and had been smoking herb for a while and thought I could hit a pipe. I had friends that recently visited their Dad working in Dubai and they had brought back some of the traditional tobacco from the region called "dokha". It's a unique strain that isn't fermented and aged and has a really low moisture content and is essentially ground up. It's smoke out of a little pipe called a medwakh and leaves a instant buzz called a "laf raas" or head spin in Arabic.

Being young and curious I asked if I could take puff. Only I didn't puff on it. I took a long and deep drag and held for a few seconds before coughing it out. What ensued next I will never forget. It took a second to kick in but hit me like a ton of bricks. I had such a strong spin I literally had to lay on a bed looking up for what seemed to be at least five minute. I felt my eyes fluttering and my whole body had an intense tingle. After 5 minutes or so I got up and asked my buddy "hey man, think I could get another one of those?" :ROFLMAO:

Needless to although being very intense, I certainly enjoyed it. Dokha feels very differently than other tobaccos. Not really sure what it is about it. The buzz is much more in the head than in the stomach without the nausea. When I would inhale cigarettes or rolling tobacco it was a much heavier almost "sick to the stomach" kind of sensation.
Man, you make that stuff sound good! puffy