PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
Just went to load a pipe and noticed that one of my jars looked funky. It's full of white web like mold. I've had this tobacco for quit some time and haven't even opened it for a couple months. All of the jars and lids I use get run through the dishwasher on the sanitize setting so I doubt it was contaminated there. I guess it could have come off my hands? I've never had a jar get mold before, but now I'm obsessively looking at all of my other jars wondering what else I'll lose. I just jarred up a pound of Syrian latakia and would be very upset if it goes off. I've found G.L. Pease's article and plan to scour it tonight. Ugghhh!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Don't trust dishwasher. Handwash with antibacterial soap and dry thoroughly. Molds are everywhere. They just need right condition to "bloom". Heat, moisture, and no light are perfect for the molds.

Scarlet claw

Can't Leave
Mar 9, 2020
I can't say from experience my tobacco is not round long enough for that to happen. it may be just a very juice tobacco, Anything with moisture can create mold i guess

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
Just went to load a pipe and noticed that one of my jars looked funky. It's full of white web like mold. I've had this tobacco for quit some time and haven't even opened it for a couple months. All of the jars and lids I use get run through the dishwasher on the sanitize setting so I doubt it was contaminated there. I guess it could have come off my hands? I've never had a jar get mold before, but now I'm obsessively looking at all of my other jars wondering what else I'll lose. I just jarred up a pound of Syrian latakia and would be very upset if it goes off. I've found G.L. Pease's article and plan to scour it tonight. Ugghhh!
Sorry to hear that, mold sucks! Just an FYI from my days of cultivating mushies; when you jar your tobaccos, make sure you are in a fairly small room woth no fans running (this includes the A/C or furnace unless it is a room without vents and the door is shut. Fon't forget to wash your hands with dish soap (dawn preferably), and about 10 min. before entering the room, you can spray a lite mist of lysol in the air and then shut the room off until you go in. If it's a persistent problem, you can even make a still air box out of a rubber maid tub. www.shroomery.org has a ton of info about sterile transfer practices. ???‍♂️

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I always use either new jars or just wipe them out with a dry paper towel. I do not introduce dishwater or sponges into the mix.

the only mold I’ve seen was on an unopened box of Kendal Plug. It was all inside the ziplock bag inside and none in the box so it was obviously introduced to the tobacco at the factory.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I've had one jar go fuzzy on me........I think two or three ago.Never had a problem washing with unscented soap and then reusing the Ball jars.I just make sure the jar AND lid components are actually dry,and back to room temperature.I also open the jars periodically,and let the tobacco breath an hour or so.

Reactions: Pierre1965
Status
Not open for further replies.