PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't remember if AKB makes false spigots but I know they make at least some true spigots; if that particular stem mount is important to you you might want to double check before you buy. The description doesn't explicitly mention a spigot anywhere as far as I can see.
Not mentioned in the full description either but I see they're still running with the "immune to ghosting" myth.

Screenshot_20230425-163601_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I don't remember if AKB makes false spigots but I know they make at least some true spigots; if that particular stem mount is important to you you might want to double check before you buy. The description doesn't explicitly mention a spigot anywhere as far as I can see.
Can you explain a bit. Sorry I’m not up on all the mount styles and terminology. What does false spigot mean.

Last edited:

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
Can you explain a bit. Sorry I’m not up on all the mount styles and terminology. What does false spigot mean.
See the post by @MikeDub above showing true vs. false spigots. Generally the benefit of a true spigot is you can take the stem out of the pipe when it's still hot without compromising the mortise/tenon, but in practice I rarely have need to do so. Still, if you were dead set on a true spigot and got a false you'd probably be disappointed.

Not mentioned in the full description either but I see they're still running with the "immune to ghosting" myth.

View attachment 218358
They must know better, that's scandalous. They even sell Cannon Plug, which would ghost the very vacuum of space if it had a chance.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Generally the benefit of a true spigot is you can take the stem out of the pipe when it's still hot without compromising the mortise/tenon, but in practice I rarely have need to do so.
If like more modern meerschaums it has a delrin sleeve instead of a screw in mortise, the stem could be removed at any time. Considering its meerschaum instead of briar, there's no swelling from the heat and moisture of smoking anyway.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
If like more modern meerschaums it has a delrin sleeve instead of a screw in mortise, the stem could be removed at any time. Considering its meerschaum instead of briar, there's no swelling from the heat and moisture of smoking anyway.
Can you give a visual example of a delrin sleeve and a screw in mortise for us who don't know the difference?