PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Here's what I do. The first couple of bowls, I intentionally smoke it all the way down and then tamp the ash around the sides of the piece of shank. Until eventually, it forms a nice bottom even with the drilling. The last few puffs of the bowl taste a little rough, but it only takes about two bowls to achieve.

This is the inside of a little devil cutty from about 2018

IMG_20240224_185745.jpg

Last edited:

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Cobs are great and require very little maintenance. That projection is standard for the cob's construction. You are fine to leave it alone. I do find, however, that some dottle tends to collect underneath if the gap between it and the bowl bottom is significant. Typically with a new pipe. I just remove the stem and work the projection away so that the end of the stem is flushed with the hole in the bowl and then re-glue.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
What can I say that hasn't already been said here. They are excellent smokers. I only use the Missouri Meerschaum, very satisfied with this brand. Some of my cobs are already three years old, I have a handful of them, unused, since I don't know how many years they can last this efficiently, I imagine many more. I'm happy for you friend.IMG_5574[10765].jpg

multitool

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2023
Hawaii
Congratulations on your first cob. I have about a dozen and will definitely buy more. The spoon will not be a problem whether you leave it in or remove it. I've done both. IMO removing the spoon is not worth the extra work. Next I'll try adding pipe mud to the sides and under the spoon to create a "bottom".