PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
With well over 50yrs of pipe smoking I have never ever smoked a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob, last week I was on one of online Tobacconists here in the UK and just about to finish my order and I saw a advert for corn cobs, so I clicked on it and selected a shape I liked, never looked for them before and couldn't believe how cheap they are, so I bought one. When it was delivered next day I loaded it up and what a great smoke it was, I was very very surprised how good it smoked, I think every time I put a order in for tobacco I shall add a MM to the order. One question, there is a bit of the wooden stummel that sticks through into bottom of the chamber, do I have to worry about setting this alight ? I am being very careful not to smoke it all the way down, am I right to do this.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Welcome to the club. I have dozens of them. They are great beater pipes for around the house or out and about. I smoked them a lot in the beginning of my pipe smoking career and they are all still going strong. Drop it, break it, lose it...no big deal. A great cheap pipe and such a bang for the buck. Although, I miss the days when you could get MM Country Gents and Diplomat 5th Aves for less than $9.

Last edited:

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I like cob pipes. I’ve left the wooden stubs in the bowls with no problems but I’ve heard of people who get rid of them. Usually they take a sharpie and mark the top of the stub they need to cut then remove the shank. Then they fill the bottom of the bowl with pipe mud and jetting it dry. While drying they cut the nub off the shank and when the pieces are ready, they pop the shank back into the bowl using Elmers glue.

I’m lazy so I do t do this lol

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
One question, there is a bit of the wooden stummel that sticks through into bottom of the chamber, do I have to worry about setting this alight ? I am being very careful not to smoke it all the way down, am I right to do this.
No. What you do have to worry about is all the endless gunk that forms on it and, worse, under it where it's very difficult to clean.

One reason I don't care much for cobs—and I have several of them, even an $80 affair special edition reverse calabash cob—is what a pain they are to clean:

Cob_gunk.jpg

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
With well over 50yrs of pipe smoking I have never ever smoked a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob, last week I was on one of online Tobacconists here in the UK and just about to finish my order and I saw a advert for corn cobs, so I clicked on it and selected a shape I liked, never looked for them before and couldn't believe how cheap they are, so I bought one. When it was delivered next day I loaded it up and what a great smoke it was, I was very very surprised how good it smoked, I think every time I put a order in for tobacco I shall add a MM to the order. One question, there is a bit of the wooden stummel that sticks through into bottom of the chamber, do I have to worry about setting this alight ? I am being very careful not to smoke it all the way down, am I right to do this.
Congratulations! I first thought cobs were just cheap, but they've turned into my most regular smokers.

The end of the stummel that sticks into the chamber is called the "spoon" by MM, and they recommend leaving it alone. It helps protect the bottom of the chamber. On my cobs, I might get a slight charred smell/taste for the first couple of bowls, but then it usually cakes over.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
They smoke differently than briar and have a different taste. They are cheaper and don't last as long, but you can make one last a while. Usually, you have to load a cob looser than a briar for it to smoke good and it's a more open draw than a briar pipe. They can smoke great. I much prefer briar overall, both for smoking quality and duration though corncob can have a nice flavor too.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

No, that slanted cut piece of dowel was made to protect the bottom of the bowl and once it gets a little charred it sort of stops burning out.

You could huff and puff and burn the dowel out but I’ve never done it in fifty years yet.:)

A cob is almost miraculously fireproof,,,,,but.

If you rotate them and let them dry out, I own and smoke cobs forty or more years old.

But my first pipe was a cob and I burned out the side (not the dowel) by daily hard use in a few months. I’ve not burned out another one since 1972.:)

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
🌽 cob MMs have been consistently my favorite smoking pipes. They’re cheap, patina beautifully with time & good use, have a wide open draw, and you can beat the hell out of them without feeling as if you’re doing something wrong. In my opinion these pipes are best suited to burley blends, although it really doesn’t matter. To me no smoking experience beats a 🌽 cob in the early morning filled with some good burley and big mug of the black stuff.

Many pleasant 💨s and hope you continue to enjoy the smoking experience. 👍☕

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Thanks all to your answers and advise, I always wondered what Cobs were about, I have been a member on here for many years and have read many posts about Cobs, I didn't even know they sold them in the UK, just never looked for them, always been a Briar man, glad I found them, thank you all.