My Estervals Order Was Sent By USPS To Customs And Has been Shipped Back To Germany

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse, in the realm of unlikely but possible examine your credit card statements carefully for fresh charges from Estervals over the coming weeks/months. If I’m reading the terms of purchase quoted by craig61a correctly in theory by buying through their site you acknowledged their policy of levying additional fees on you in certain specific circumstances. I’m not interested In going down the rabbit hole of arguing legal rights. I’m just pointing out they have your credit card number on file. Again, I think this very unlikely but I’ve personally experienced worse. Jon
Thanks Jon,

Goodd suggestion! My agreement with Chase requires them to notify me of any foreign charges and for me to respond with a code for those charges to be approved. But every system fails now and again.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think that "Customer is always right" philosophy has changed. I know it changed in my own company. I tell my people, "The Customer has the right to always think they're right, but they don't have the right to make unreasonable demands and act like obnoxious assholes".
That was true even with our store, though the only one who retained the right to invoke that corollary was my boss, who owned the store. Among the items we offered were meticulously restored vintage pocket watches which we guaranteed against manufacturing defects for a year. A customer who bought one came back several months later, screaming that we had sold him a watch filled with water. The watch that he pulled out of a bag, a 14k gold Waltham in a hunting case, had a mighty smell of urine. We think he dropped it in the toilet. My boss was incensed. All that work destroyed. When the customer wouldn't leave, my boss physically threw him out of the store.
Such occurrences were rare, maybe a handful in the 10 years I worked at that store.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am surprised customers argue about anything in a jewelry store. You know you are getting raped walking in. Myself included.
Some stores, you bet. Generally stores that did a lot of credit sales. We didn't offer store lines of credit, though we did take checks and credit cards. We also did most of our own mounting and fabricating since we could offer better quality stones than the pre-made stuff, for a competitive price.
To give you an idea of the trust our customers put in us, we would get orders from various parts of the country, often an envelope containing a check and a note asking us to make "something nice" for the client. Sometimes there were instructions, sometimes not. And these were often repeated on a regular basis. We felt a real obligation to supply something special to honor that trust. We always gave value. In retrospect, when I see how so many businesses operate, I've come to realize that our store was run in an exceptionally customer focused way.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Some stores, you bet. Generally stores that did a lot of credit sales. We didn't offer store lines of credit, though we did take checks and credit cards. We also did most of our own mounting and fabricating since we could offer better quality stones than the pre-made stuff, for a competitive price.
To give you an idea of the trust our customers put in us, we would get orders from various parts of the country, often an envelope containing a check and a note asking us to make "something nice" for the client. Sometimes there were instructions, sometimes not. And these were often repeated on a regular basis. We felt a real obligation to supply something special to honor that trust. We always gave value. In retrospect, when I see how so many businesses operate, I've come to realize that our store was run in an exceptionally customer focused way.
There’s a shop here in town called Roth’s that’s very similar to what you describe. ?

I got my wife a near 1ct chocolate diamond with excellent clarity (not Vvs or anything but upper spectrum) for under 2k without the setting. Market value of the stone was anywhere from 4-5k. Had it been purchased from a mainly credit run shop... would have been closer to the 4-5k.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

When, as the owner, you are ultra conscientious about quality and customer service, it's very difficult to not get pissed off when dealing with an unreasonable prick blatantly trying to take advantage. I've mellowed with age and become infinitely more pragmatic but occasionally, you reach the point where enough is enough. I sometimes envy those who are 100% pragmatic and in complete control of their emotions. However, a fair amount of passion is required to demand excellence so there's tradeoffs no matter what.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
There is at least one alternative. HU at Pfeifendepot

I ordered multiple times from this shop prior to Estervals. I switched to Estervals primarily because of price. I have no idea if dealing with Pfeifendepot at this point in time is any better than Estervals but I do plan to inquire. Paying more but at least receiving the package seems like the better deal to me.
Yeah, Estervals certainly has the better prices, that’s for sure.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I dated a girl that worked in a local owned jewelry store in Oklahoma City back in the day, lots of oil money flowing. They were downtown right in the thick of it. They had a glass shelf break one day and when it came down it took out a bunch of shelves of Waterford Crystals. She said they barely blinked an eye. Insurance I am guessing?

She also mentioned they kept detailed logs of what their main customers had looked at etc. Then another time she came over after some engagement they had her attend and wear some jewelry to show off (she was a looker) and had forgotten to take off the earrings she had on, some crazy ass amount...worth more then my 65k condo at the time I am sure. When she called them they just casually told her to just bring them in Monday. We talked about that all night yet barely slept!

I was astonished at how meticulous they were on some things and yet obtuse on others.

Status
Not open for further replies.