PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You'd have to be an idiot to use your real name and address to steal.
No one knows if those names are "real" or not. And the address - some address!- has to be there for the goods to be received.
Implicating the most likely innocent residents above could be considered slanderous and liable. I'd recommend you get your post deleted or modified..
Are you serious about bothering a mod to to that? Is there really a liability??

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Keep in mind, most thieves will send to a nearby address where they know the people are not at home, then follow the tracking, and take the box off the porch when it's delivered.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You'd have to be an idiot to use your real name and address to steal.

No one knows if those names are "real" or not. And the address - some address!- has to be there for the goods to be received.
Implicating the most likely innocent residents above could be considered slanderous and liable. I'd recommend you get your post deleted or modified..

Are you serious about bothering a mod to to that? Is there really a liability??
The address is public domain. I didn't see Harris accuse anyone of anything. Nothing wrong with his post and imho, no liability to be concerned about.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My password was a real good one that no one should have been able to hack. As far as the names and address I posted it is all public record I got off google. I have been thinking about calling the cops in Ft Meyers and giving them the info on the people living there. They may be dupes and have no idea people are using their address.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
hoosierpipeguy, if I did a google search of my name/address and a post like that popped up possibly implicating me in criminal activity, I would be pissed.

Wouldn't you?

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
My password was a real good one that no one should have been able to hack.
Have you ever used another computer to sign in to your ebay account? If not, then probably your password has been obtained from ebay servers as cohibajoe has mentioned. I would also run a full antivirus scan to get the computer checked for any possible malware attack.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jvnshr, I have never used ebay from any other computer but my own. I did a full virus and maleware scan as soon as I was done talking to ebay. Thanks for the suggestion though.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
jvnshr, I have never used ebay from any other computer but my own. I did a full virus and maleware scan as soon as I was done talking to ebay. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Well then, bienvenido a pipesmagazine, Jose :nana:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks guys. Ebay wouldn't let the seller of my pipe change the address so he had to do it a different way, even though the fake address is no longer in my profile. I wouldn't be surprised if the hack came from ebay.

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
Lastpass is a good (and free) way to keep all your passwords safely, you do need to remember the main one to get into it though.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
hoosierpipeguy, if I did a google search of my name/address and a post like that popped up possibly implicating me in criminal activity, I would be pissed.

Wouldn't you?
Being pissed and having a situation that exposes you to legal liability are two different things. If Harris explicitly stated the people's names and explicitly accused them of being thiefs and scumbags because he was certain they stole from him, he would potentially be liable for libel (it was written, not verbally stated, so it is libel instead of slander). Even then, they'd have to establish damages.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Even then, they'd have to establish damages.
You know, HR Departments routinely search job applicants for internet dirt, criminal history, etc. It's my policy to maintain an anonymous and rather invisible presence because once it's on the internet, it is there forever. I think it is also a good policy to consider when posting about others. Legally actionable or not, there are plenty of crazies out there that will take exception and possibly take matters into their own hands. All I see is potential downside with no upside.

onematch

Lurker
Mar 10, 2018
[blockquote]I wouldn't be surprised if the hack came from ebay.
Truer statement then you may think.

Ten years ago I found some one had used my paypal account to buy close to 5 grand worth of electronics off of ebay in one day. The shipping address was changed to California. It took months, and a lot of fighting, but the truth finely came out that the "hacker" worked at paypal, and mine was one of many accounts that was "sold" by this person. Needless to say I closed my account and will never open another with them after all the hassle of cleaning up this mess. Now for internet purchases I use one of those load as you go Visa debit cards that you can pick up at Walgreens, Walmart, and most banks. It has no connection what so ever to my bank account so there is no way to charge more then what is on the card, and I only load it when I win an auction or want to make an online purchase. It may cost a few bucks in charges over a year, but for me it's worth it to keep my funds safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.