PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
So I am sitting here watching a pipe I bid on win the auction. I paid for it immediately through paypal and then I get a receipt saying the pipe is going here.

13027 7th St

Fort Myers FL 33905

United States
I just happen to live in Sarasota Fl about 90 miles from this address. I immediately go to my paypal account and it is fine. I then contact the seller to let him know something is fucked up and tell him my correct address. I then go to my ebay account and see this new address along with my correct one. I get on the phone with ebay and tell them my tale of woe and report the hack. I got rid of the false address of course but now I am wondering how I got hacked. I have had the same password on my ebay account for at least a decade. My latest ebay purchase was my Meer on Feb 9 so it had to have happened since then.
I looked up who lives at the address in Ft Meyers and came up with these names.

Jose Angel Mercado Sr. and Zoelly Mercado and Amber J Gates. What makes no sense is why on earth someone at that address would want a 1969 Dunhill LB. I am totally perplexed as to how and why this happened, anyone else have something similar happen to them?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
You are being punished for buying my birth year Dunhill?
Joke aside, I hope it gets sorted out.
Probably not "personal" or about the pipe. My understanding is that these vermin try various passwords on

various accounts until they get a lucky hit. Then just try to profit from whatever they get.
jay-roger.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My guess is that it was more likely just some kind of glitch in eBay's system than a hack...but who knows, especially these days.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
What makes no sense is why on earth someone at that address would want a 1969 Dunhill LB.
99.999% of the general population probably would not want an estate pipe...but probably close to 100% of the people on this forum wouldn't mind snagging it ;-) Kidding aside, hopefully these people get busted.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
What's odd is that if your account got hacked, they would have almost certainly changed your password.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Interesting. I was bidding on a Rad Davis pipe from Treasurepipes. It looked like I had it as I watched it until the last second ticked off. Usually, within 10 seconds or so, the item either appears in your shopping cart or Didn't Win list. This was this morning I think and it still hasn't appeared in either. Interestingly enough, two other pipes I had thrown bids out on with treasurepipes and lost did show up in Didn't Win. Made me wonder if the guy at treasurepipes was playing games because the bid on the Rad Davis was fairly low (or at least I thought, it was a 2012 for $132.50 Devil's Anse). It shows some guy bought it for $154.06 so I suppose he had one of those bots that placed the bid at the very last millisecond. Seems strange though that it didn't show up in my Didn't Win.
I don't care much as I think eBay is incredibly screwed up anyway.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I am totally perplexed as to how and why this happened
Answer is there on your post Harris:
I have had the same password on my ebay account for at least a decade.
Change the passwords of your ebay and Paypal accounts. For a stronger password always include:
-numbers

-characters

-uppercase letters
Here is an example:
1735P@ssW0rd

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
You'd have to be an idiot to use your real name and address to steal. Implicating the most likely innocent residents above could be considered slanderous and liable. I'd recommend you get your post deleted or modified..

smittyd

Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
Well i hope the Dunhill come's to you , other wise its liable to get tossed in the trash and that would be tragic!

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I have had the same password on my ebay account for at least a decade

eBay was hacked in 2014 with customer names, account passwords, email addresses, physical addresses, phone numbers and birth dates. My day job is Cyber Security Analysis for a Fortune 200 company.. I hope you are seeing a Hint about not changing your password for 10yrs??? When was the last time you changed your ATM PIN??

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well i hope the Dunhill come's to you , other wise its liable to get tossed in the trash and that would be tragic!
I've put one there. As to the OP, are ties possible with online auctions?

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
I discovered on Sat that my account had been hacked. They changed the address, phone number, email address and name. eBay's customer service was good and got it straightened out. I rotate my passwords, so how I was breached is a bit of a mystery. A good part of Saturday was spent running virus/Trojan scans and updating all my important passwords.
The odd thing is they didn't use my account for anything...

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
Fwiw, the two most common attack vectors are a compromised email account or Trojan installed on your computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.