PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
Sorry for the delay. been a crazy month. Meant to get back earlier. 1st and 3rd we’re just mr brogs. 2nd I was trying for a Dublin sitter. It’s a bit chunky on the bottom but came out decent. I don’t have any drilling equipment but slowly acquiring stuff. If I could stop buying tobacco and pipes, I’d have enough for a lathe. I’ve got 43 pipes I need to sell. Just too many already. So if I can sell all of them, that’ll be the cash I need. finishing up my 5th one now and starting on 6th. this one has grown on me and I do like it more now. my first wasnt great, but I’d only been smoking pipes about a month or so. It’s been a bit over a year. Hope to get a lathe next year. I’ve finally got some plateaux briar for next pipe after this brandy I’m doing. Figure trying the various shapes but want to do something unique coming up. Anyway, thanks for looking and the comments. Pipes has become my main thing during COVID and definitely a full passion both smoking and making. :) I’ll be making a video series on making a hobby block with barely any tools on my YouTube channel but it’ll take me a bit.A6F607EC-16E6-447C-9140-11C412789C63.jpeg
here’s the others. First, I didn’t have a shape in mind. 2nd I was going for a Dublin. 3rd a bent egg.
36763981-915F-49EA-9BC1-FF0F8485F12B.jpeg
2nd... about 2 months into pipes.
33A2E7CD-E953-4C97-B7F6-009FC5620E5A.jpeg
EC5BD846-91D2-4374-ADB3-D09F4C5CDFAB.jpeg
DAB4A3FD-F147-421C-A794-14292FDB48B6.jpeg
3rd.. I did about 3-4 months ago
22581DF5-B943-4E60-AE7D-A779B69C064D.jpeg
E841E0C9-F2CD-4AE9-A24B-0FD5B0C1926E.jpeg
C1877EA5-6AD8-4A91-A297-17907C6EA6BE.jpeg‘I
936833E4-DDCD-41B2-95DE-6DE5FC9FCCFA.jpegwant to go back and reshape the stems on 1 and 3 now I have that knowledge.

Last edited:

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
I love pokers- are you open to commissioned pipes?
Sure but im a newbie. Lol. When I got into this a year ago, I bought many old pipes and practiced restoring. I’ve got about 43 or so of those. So I learned a good bit that way and on these others. I’m making a site to show my collection and sell some to make $ for a lathe. I’m working on my 5th one now. Limited in what I can do. I’ll do it just for the experience if you want one, but theres many far more experienced guys out there. I hope to have a shop going after a big move to a larger home with room for a dedicated place. Then I’m really getting Into it. If you want something like that one, I can make another. Why not. Just pm me. Won’t charge much beyond the cost of materials. I wouldn’t feel right not being a pro. I need a stamp. :)

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
For so few pipes made, the stem work on the Poker and the Dublin looks quite good. Nice details on the Dublin; the flat bottom, the convex curve of the rim, and the countersink on the rim's inner edge. I also like in the top down view the taper of the shank from the transition to the stem/shank join. Very nice piece of briar on the Dublin, your staining certainly brings out its grain. A shape to work on, maybe just a little more forward cant to the bowl, and a less "meaty" (perhaps flat oval) shank...? Maybe start the stem's profile taper a little bit closer to the stummel...?

:)

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The other two stems remind me of some shaping seen on Italian pipes, Armellini comes to mind, the Napoli pipes they made for Iwan Ries back in the day. I think they need less "barrel" and more flat area/taper, with the saddle curve on top more sharply defined. You are off to a good start!

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
The other two stems remind me of some shaping seen on Italian pipes, Armellini comes to mind, the Napoli pipes they made for Iwan Ries back in the day. I think they need less "barrel" and more flat area/taper, with the saddle curve on top more sharply defined. You are off to a good start!
Yeah def those were stock stems. I had no clue what to do then. Hadn’t experimented with stems too much at that point. I don’t like the roundness. I’m going to redo that.

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
For so few pipes made, the stem work on the Poker and the Dublin looks quite good. Nice details on the Dublin; the flat bottom, the convex curve of the rim, and the countersink on the rim's inner edge. I also like in the top down view the taper of the shank from the transition to the stem/shank join. Very nice piece of briar on the Dublin, your staining certainly brings out its grain. A shape to work on, maybe just a little more forward cant to the bowl, and a less "meaty" (perhaps flat oval) shank...? Maybe start the stem's profile taper a little bit closer to the stummel...?

:)
I fully agree. I barely knew what a Dublin was then. Lol. I’d def make it less chunky the bottom and forward canted. Thanks for the advice. I wasn’t starting with any particular plan or sketch etc. just thought.. Dublin? Look at a pic and sand, look at more pics, sand etc. but now I’m interested in learning sketching and reading about how to see the grain and shape in a block. I prob spend most of my day reading and watching vids. :). This is the place to be for me. I’ve been so bad about posting and reading on this forum but I want to be here more and not just search random threads. Know there’s so much knowledge here. :) thx again for advice and reply. ? the people on this forum are great and feedback, comments i respect a ton.

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
oh and I’m not a huge fan of pokers either. I like them but not obsessed like I’ve seen some can be. I’ve got a Savinelli 311 cherrywoodI like a lot, it’s lightweight, great for walks. but that and an old Grabow poker is all I’ve got, aside from this one. I just want to try a new shape every time. Finishing a brandy this week. Then I’ve got a plateaux briar and I’ve not decided yet but want to do something challenging. All of this is challenging really. I’ve never made anything. But it’s so satisfying. I spent a day buffing and waxing pipes this week while smoking bowl after bowl. cant think of a better way to spend the day. :)

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
Mr Brog sent me 2 of their bent briar pre drilled sets to make a video series so I’ll be doing that. Should have this brandy finished soon. Only a couple hours left but Xmas..... and just deciding on this first plateaux briar and what to do with it. I want to try more rusticated and Morta. I’ve got a 1 x 30 belt sander on the way now. I’ll post up next time. :). Thanks for reply and comments.
I really like the poker shape in general. This is a beautiful piece.

I too would be interested in your other projects.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

PipeDad33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
Kansas
Sorry for the delay. been a crazy month. Meant to get back earlier. 1st and 3rd we’re just mr brogs. 2nd I was trying for a Dublin sitter. It’s a bit chunky on the bottom but came out decent. I don’t have any drilling equipment but slowly acquiring stuff. If I could stop buying tobacco and pipes, I’d have enough for a lathe. I’ve got 43 pipes I need to sell. Just too many already. So if I can sell all of them, that’ll be the cash I need. finishing up my 5th one now and starting on 6th. this one has grown on me and I do like it more now. my first wasnt great, but I’d only been smoking pipes about a month or so. It’s been a bit over a year. Hope to get a lathe next year. I’ve finally got some plateaux briar for next pipe after this brandy I’m doing. Figure trying the various shapes but want to do something unique coming up. Anyway, thanks for looking and the comments. Pipes has become my main thing during COVID and definitely a full passion both smoking and making. :) I’ll be making a video series on making a hobby block with barely any tools on my YouTube channel but it’ll take me a bit.View attachment 56936
here’s the others. First, I didn’t have a shape in mind. 2nd I was going for a Dublin. 3rd a bent egg.
View attachment 56932
2nd... about 2 months into pipes.
View attachment 56937
View attachment 56938
View attachment 56940
3rd.. I did about 3-4 months ago
View attachment 56942
View attachment 56943
View attachment 56944‘I
View attachment 56945want to go back and reshape the stems on 1 and 3 now I have that knowledge.
I love the third one. Very nice

Status
Not open for further replies.