PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Errrr also, can someone help me out with all these abbreviations? I have no idea what these are

1. JKP

2. ABF

3. OJK

4. ODF
JKP - JackKnife Plug

ABF - Aged Burley Flake

OJK - Old Joe Krantz

ODF - Old Dark Fired

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Frog Morton Cellar - English crossover

Hearth & Home Magnum Opus - Balkan

PS Luxury Twist Flake - Virginia w/ light topping

Hearth & Home Anni Kake - Va/Per

McCranie's Red Flake - Straight red Va flake.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I'll take a little different tack here and say, "Try five from each of these lists" :wink:
I'll break mine down into two categories.

1st would be more mainstream / available

2nd tougher to find but worth the effort.
Dunhill MM 965

Dunhill BB 1938

Dunhill Early Morning Pipe

Dunhill DNR

Sutliff Peach Cobbler

Frog Morton Original

Red Cake 5100

SP Black Cavendish

GL Pease Westminster

GL Pease Stonehenge

GL Pease Odyssey

Carter Hall

Lane BCA

Molto Dolce

D&R English Hooplah

D&R Navy Dock

Esoterica Margate (I know, but it's easier to find than Penzance or Stonehaven)

Esoterica Penzance

Esoterica Stonehaven

Esoterica Peacehaven

Esoterica Dorchester

Esoterica Blackpool

Esoterica Woodbridge

Esoterica Pembroke

Esoterica Tilbury

Germain Rich Dark Flake

( can't help it, love Estorica )

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, and it's helpful to spell out an abbreviation the first time it's used in a thread. (or long post)
Way too many non-American blends mentioned!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My ongoing advice to new pipe smokers is to buy tobacco in small samples, an ounce or two at the most, or a single tin, for the first year or two. Your taste changes a lot, develops, even if you like a blend a lot, don't buy anything in quantity. And if you don't like something, jar it and try it again in six months or a year. I wouldn't buy four or more ounces of anything until you've been pipe smoking for a couple years.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
@mso489
I have a 2 year old Jar of Peterson Old Dublin. Do you think that would have aged well? I haven't tried it in over a year and a half.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two years is not much time as aging goes, but with the Virginias in Old Dublin, you might get some improvement, and the Lat wouldn't have faded much if at all, and the other tobaccos are likely doing fine. It should be fine, maybe excellent.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
English/Latakia - Samuel Gawith - Skiff Mixture

Virginia - Dan Tobacco - Patriot Flake

Virginia/Perique - Escudo - Navy Deluxe

Burley - Solani - 656 Aged Burley Flake

Aromatic - Lane Limited - 1Q

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
If you want the prototypical list, here's what I suggest:
Aromatic: Lane 1Q. It goes by hundreds of different names in hundreds of different tobacconists, but everyone has Lane 1Q

Red Virginia: McClelland 5100. You can smoke dozens of red Virginias and never be much better than this bulk standard.

Virginia flake: Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake. One of the best, with a different flake style to learn to deal with.

VaPer: Escudo Navy Deluxe. Presented as a coin, this gets you yet another prep style and is consistently a top rated VaPer.

English: Dunhill Nightcap. MAny to choose from, but this is a highly rated standard and at least one Dunhill should be on the list.

VaBur: GL Pease JackKnife Plug. A solid nic bomb burley. Plus this adds a plug to the list. And GL Pease should be on everyone's list at least once.
This is almost exactly MY list as well. Great choices and excellent succinct write up!

only suggestions I might add would be the Peter Stokkebye Luxury line. All 3 are fantastic quality tobaccos at a fair price point.

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
My ongoing advice to new pipe smokers is to buy tobacco in small samples, an ounce or two at the most, or a single tin, for the first year or two. Your taste changes a lot, develops, even if you like a blend a lot, don't buy anything in quantity. And if you don't like something, jar it and try it again in six months or a year. I wouldn't buy four or more ounces of anything until you've been pipe smoking for a couple years.
Also, as advice for newer folks goes, this is absolutely solid! Should be given to everyone that is interested in smoking a pipe!

May 4, 2015
Awesome stuff, guys. Hopefully someone looking around for ideas will find these lists useful in narrowing down a purchase.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
Awesome stuff, guys. Hopefully someone looking around for ideas will find these lists useful in narrowing down a purchase.
I've already added some stuff to my list :wink:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
1. Dunhill 965 - "Scottish" style with a nice sweetness and milder latakia

5. Dunhill Nightcap - Latakia Bomb will tell you if you want a LOT of latakia in your life, or just a little
Excellent choices!
I might add OJK, Elizabethan Mixture and of course Royal Yacht.
Start with Dunhill, move on to C&D, and then, the world awaits...

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
SG Best Brown Flake - my first instinct is to say FVF, but I think BBF is a little more forgiving.
Solani Aged Burley Flake - lots of great Burley blends out there. I prefer Stonehaven but no use sending a newcomer on a wild goose chase.
GLP Cairo - just an all around great oriental blend.
SG St. James Flake - my favorite Va-per...A&C Petersen's version of Escudo a close 2nd.
McCranie's Red Flake - straight red virginia needs it's own category and McCranie's is king!
This. Maybe with a few more latakia/oriental blends thrown in. I think that Yenidje Highlander would be the first I would recommend- too bad you can't get it anymore. Yours is by far the best list I have seen in this thread glassjapan.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
@toddryan84
For some other aro standards, if 1Q doesn't interest you, Lane's BCA (Black Cavendish Aromatic) is a close 2nd to 1Q. Also, the newer Lane Dark Red is a spectacular aromatic. All three are great, but 1Q really sets the standard and is why I named it on my list. My personal preference when I smoke an aro (rarely anymore) is 1) Lane Dark Red, 2) BCA, 3) 1Q.
Hopefully that is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.