New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Platforms such as twitter and more so with Facebook, allow a user to control the page - the site. Young people today are attracted more to decentralized platforms that allow them to manage their own "cell" of information.

When I speak with young adults who are in their 20s, I am amazed at how sophisticated and smart they are about manipulating their own social media. Now, don't get me wrong. I AM NOT impressed with young people as a whole when it comes to acting like adults and be responsible as adults, but, I have to give them props for what they do very well. Local governments, and really any institution run by adults whose legacy with technology puts them into the over 25 or 30 crowd, may see twitter and Facebook as critical infrastructure, but if those two sites disappeared tomorrow, the world of the younger crowd wouldn't skip a beat or notice.

It's funny to watch adults try to monetize Youtube. Neither of my young adult children use Youtube accept as assigned by teachers at college. The sites they use, as do their friends and millions like them are just as monetized.

Facebook will fall from grace. So will twitter. Not today or tomorrow, but soon. Shelf life, ... it isn't even for breakfast in this fast pace moving world.

FWIW: I was watching my daughter take an exam on line. No matter what question the teacher asked, it seemed that question had been addressed somewhere else on the internet. More often than not, even the multiple choice selections were identical. She can pull up any question and have the answer with in a few seconds. I am not even sure if test matter any longer if the taker can access information on most any topic instantly.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
To an extent, I agree, but I think this may miss the forest for the trees. This model of both attracting ad revenue and collecting consumer data simultaneously by feeding into people's natural narcissism and relative isolation from each other is simply too powerful and profitable a platform to just die off like a consumer fad, at least not without a powerful change in the laws or culture at large. Social media platforms are like a license to not only print money, but to cultivate perfect consumers. The only real threat to the big players in the social media landscapes hasn't been waning relevance, but just comical amounts of bungling from the vain and eccentric "leadership" of its "genius" CEOs.
DARPA's LifeLog project was canceled on February 3rd, 2004. Facebook was launched on Feb. 4th, 2004. I'm sure it was just a coincidence.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
IDK, our city and county can only get information out via Facebook now. And, more businesses and governments facilities are vested with them. School closings are only posted there also. Other platforms come and go, but Facebook just remains the only one that stays constant. My debate team stays connected and shares their research through then also.
Besides these old grumps on here, I don’t know of anyone who doesn’t use FB. I suspect many say that they aren’t on there, but if you live in my area and you wanna know if garbage is going to be picked up on a holiday, you have to check FB.
Nobody under the age of 35 is on FB. It's Instagram, Twitter and TT.

I enjoy Twitter these days. Previously it was just an echo chamber of mono think. It's a good source for news if you can wade through all the garbage.

Nobody under the age of 35
I know this is hyperbole, especially since I know of whole schools that are on there. They may use these others more often, but it is definitely not like they don't have FB accts. I would also argue that Twitter is not exactly a hotbed of teen activity either. It's always been just a big echo chamber for narcissists and political fanatics that think that their political views are the most important thing in humanity.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I know this is hyperbole, especially since I know of whole schools that are on there. They may use these others more often, but it is definitely not like they don't have FB accts. I would also argue that Twitter is not exactly a hotbed of teen activity either. It's always been just a big echo chamber for narcissists and political fanatics that think that their political views are the most important thing in humanity.
I advertise a lot on Social. Yes they post School Closings and Team events, but there are very very few of them that spend any time interacting on FB. The bulk of their time is spent on other media. It wasn't like that 10 years ago. Instagram is a monster right now.

but there are very very few of them that spend any time interacting on FB
I mean, you can keep on saying that, but it doesn't keep- making it true. I follow my team of 170 debaters, and still follow the teams of years past, plus other team members from other schools, and they tend to post frequently, if not way more so than adults. Sure, so thousands is not an absolute sample for a ratio... but it just lets me know that your statement is ridiculously hyperbole. As I said, I do not deny that they may use other media more, but it does not mean that they've turned their backs on FB.
Twitter on the other hand is for the mentally ill, IMO.

telescopes

I mean, you can keep on saying that, but it doesn't keep- making it true. I follow my team of 170 debaters, and still follow the teams of years past, plus other team members from other schools, and they tend to post frequently, if not way more so than adults. Sure, so thousands is not an absolute sample for a ratio... but it just lets me know that your statement is ridiculously hyperbole. As I said, I do not deny that they may use other media more, but it does not mean that they've turned their backs on FB.
You might be seeing a regional use of Facebook that is more true of Alabama. I use Facebook to stay on touch with 37 years worth of students. However, I am aware that the younger ones are using other apps more frequently. How do I know. I see them showing up on Tic Toc, Instagram, and Snap Chat. Apparently my phone contact list can connect those apps without me knowing it.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
I understand your point, but anymore the insanity goes across all social media, and that includes web forums that don't have a lot of moderation.

You might be seeing a regional use of Facebook that is more true of Alabama.
You've obviously never been to a debate tournament. When we host them, we get students nationwide... but if thinking this helps your delusions of me being a backwoods hick never leaving my hobble, then fine. Maybe your experience is merely a small sample from your region?

telescopes

You've obviously never been to a debate tournament. When we host them, we get students nationwide... but if thinking this helps your delusions of me being a backwoods hick never leaving my hobble, then fine. Maybe your experience is merely a small sample from your region?
Why are you always so touchy?

'Obviously" you don't read. Take a moment to research this topic and come back to us when you have settled down. Not everything is about you or an attack on you. Honestly, for someone who is quite interesting and knowledgeable, you can be quite the pompous ass.

Reactions: K.E. Powell
That article is over a year old. And, it is reporting on data from over a year ago within, some stats from two years. And, it merely says that "use" had dropped 13%, and I can buy into that. But, this doesn't mean kids are deleting accounts and moving on to other mediums. It actually reads as a gross over estimate, "existential crisis"? ha ha. I think the restaurant industry has had more than a 30% reduction in business. Does this mean that eating out will end? Is the whole restaurant industry in jeopardy? No... that would be silly.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Sorry, more just keep coming to mind, Discord.
My 16 year old daughter and all her friends use discord almost exclusively, and only use email because they are forced to for handing in schoolwork and talking to teachers. Most of them aren't on facebook "with their moms and aunts" and at least half of them don't even know what twitter is. WhatsApp is what grandpas and corporate middle managers use to send outdated memes.

Everyone of all ages heavily use YouTube, it's very popular with 35-45 year olds and kids 5-15, youtube live streaming especially.

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
I just searched, there's probably a couple dozen, so it's no wonder FB is leaking young people. I haven't logged into Myspace lately...LOL