PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
You'll please notice two things about my response to you: 1) I specifically said "not to single you out" 2) I used the pronoun "our" to further that and to include myself and the culture in which I also contribute.
No problem...I'm quite opinionated and I fully understand many don't share my perspective on certain things.

I did take note of those aspects of your wording, but nevertheless it was my comment which you replied to, and even though you said "our own BS", you also said "our own convoluted inner dialogue". Both of these seem to imply that I'm just inventing this particular opinion in my own head, but it's based on accumulated info from various writers, researchers and commentators over the years...I'm not saying this amounts to proof, but it's compelling evidence IMO.

A real example of things truly convoluted are the financial structures that exist in the world...a labyrinth of forms of financial holdings, interlocking directorates, shell companies, and God knows what else.

I'll just say that on the face of it, based on common sense alone, I'm very skeptical that someone like Elon Musk has a higher net worth than the multi-generational wealth of various "royal" lineages and banking families.

As for what is BS and what is not, that's a continual process to sort out, but there's a lot of it dished out by the government and corporate media that people accept without question simply because it is the "official narrative".

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Swapping topics when losing a point is not a win. And "Florida man" is a very popular meme for crazy.
'merica... :)

florida-man-chandlers-wildlife.gif

• Haha
Reactions: sablebrush52

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Well, this is where this thread turns down that dead end street to nowhere but a locked gate. The amount of "alternative facts" and speculative surety that proceeds at the end of a thread destined to end is here. FWIW, worth, as measured by stock valuation, is worth that is speculative at best. Imagine what the share price of any company becomes if one were to cash in all the shares all at once. Unless of course you make a binding offer for a company to purchase every share of stock to make it private, lol.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, this is where this thread turns down that dead end street to nowhere but a locked gate. The amount of "alternative facts" and speculative surety that proceeds at the end of a thread destined to end is here. FWIW, worth, as measured by stock valuation, is worth that is speculative at best. Imagine what the share price of any company becomes if one were to cash in all the shares all at once. Unless of course you make a binding offer for a company to purchase every share of stock to make it private, lol.
Like any buyout offer, there are remedies to undo the deal, but not without consequences. Musk could have paid a fee, reported as being one billion dollars, to have quit the deal. He decided not to.
This is an ongoing process and no one knows how it will go. In the meantime, there are a lot of ripples, including new social media sites being set up by former employees of Twitter, Twitter clones, if you will. So the story is interesting on a whole number of levels.

Reactions: Briar Lee

telescopes

Twitter, like Facebook, will loose its luster. Younger audiences simply will gravitate to something new. The only real money in social media as I see it, is to create a company with a vibe, and then sell it knowing something else will eventually replace it. In today's world of quickly changing platforms, nothing last forever.

Twitter, like Facebook, will loose its luster. Younger audiences simply will gravitate to something new. The only real money in social media as I see it, is to create a company with a vibe, and then sell it knowing something else will eventually replace it. In today's world of quickly changing platforms, nothing last forever.
IDK, our city and county can only get information out via Facebook now. And, more businesses and governments facilities are vested with them. School closings are only posted there also. Other platforms come and go, but Facebook just remains the only one that stays constant. My debate team stays connected and shares their research through then also.
Besides these old grumps on here, I don’t know of anyone who doesn’t use FB. I suspect many say that they aren’t on there, but if you live in my area and you wanna know if garbage is going to be picked up on a holiday, you have to check FB.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I suspect many say that they aren’t on there, but if you live in my area and you wanna know if garbage is going to be picked up on a holiday, you have to check FB.

That's why my wife has FB. As for myself, I had to create an account because my bandmates insist on using FB Messenger. Other than that I have no use for FB or any other social media.

telescopes

IDK, our city and county can only get information out via Facebook now. And, more businesses and governments facilities are vested with them. School closings are only posted there also. Other platforms come and go, but Facebook just remains the only one that stays constant. My debate team stays connected and shares their research through then also.
Besides these old grumps on here, I don’t know of anyone who doesn’t use FB. I suspect many say that they aren’t on there, but if you live in my area and you wanna know if garbage is going to be picked up on a holiday, you have to check FB.
True of adults of a certain age and institutions that are run by those adults. However, as the metrics indicate and these institutions clearly watch, more and more of their messages are not resonating or being heard by younger communities. When I wanted to get a message out to my students and make sure they all read and heard it, snapchat and tic toc did what Facebook could never do.

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
To an extent, I agree, but I think this may miss the forest for the trees. This model of both attracting ad revenue and collecting consumer data simultaneously by feeding into people's natural narcissism and relative isolation from each other is simply too powerful and profitable a platform to just die off like a consumer fad, at least not without a powerful change in the laws or culture at large. Social media platforms are like a license to not only print money, but to cultivate perfect consumers. The only real threat to the big players in the social media landscapes hasn't been waning relevance, but just comical amounts of bungling from the vain and eccentric "leadership" of its "genius" CEOs.

• Love
Reactions: sablebrush52