Nijmegen, the Netherlands
+1 For Halcyon and Paragon, I use both. đź‘Ť

Food grade micro wax ? Hmm.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hmmm. Chapstick? My father warned me it could become addictive. So I use it only when the chapping starts.
Bingo! I was wondering how long it would take till someone pointed that out, not the addictive thing, the petroleum distillate thing. People are in contact with petroleum distillate products constantly, especially if they’re attempting to avoid accidental replication while engaged in coitus.

As I recall, these microcrystalline polishes are carnuba in a suspension that evaporates away.
Risk? What risk.
If concerned about risk, avoid what’s in the bowl, rather than what is outside of it.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Anyone know where Paragon or Halcyon can be purchased?

The link provided in this thread seems to take you to a dormant site - none of the tabs on the page it links to are working.

I know both Halcyon and Paragon used to be available from an eBay store but that doesn’t seem to be the case any longer.

Smoking Pipes had Paragon at one time but they don’t have any now.

Dec 10, 2013
Anyone know where Paragon or Halcyon can be purchased?

The link provided in this thread seems to take you to a dormant site - none of the tabs on the page it links to are working.

I know both Halcyon and Paragon used to be available from an eBay store but that doesn’t seem to be the case any longer.

Smoking Pipes had Paragon at one time but they don’t have any now.
Yes. Please enlighten us.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
The Renaissance wax is a museum quality wax used by many for restoring antique wood and silver to a more appropriate shine for museum pieces, which might not be as shiny as we want our briar, but it is safe, the only thing is the smell of gas that gets me, I'll use it on old estates that I want to keep less shiny then a carnuba waxing.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
+1 for the heat gun. I will lightly buff the blasts with carnuba and then heat with the gun and then hand buff with a microfiber towel.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really enjoy not using wax on my pipes. I have some I bought new I've had for nearly forty years. I buff them off after every smoke with a slightly abrasive cloth or paper towel. I don't like the residue of wax or polishes, and don't want the shiny new look, rather the enjoyably used aura. This includes the first pipe I ever bought, a Tinder Box St. Ives sourced from one of the French pipe makers, still smoking and looking fine.

Incidentally, I use a paper towel after I scoop out the ash each smoke, leaving a thin carbon layer but not building cake. This keeps the chamber at its original diameter and eliminates the need for reaming which preserves the briar.

Some love to build cake, and bless them, but this works for me.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I don't know if it is effective, sometimes I have used almond oil, virgin olive oil, and even coconut oil or coconut butter. Logically to the outside of the briar pipe. A small tear. It looks amazing, but I don't know how effective it is. The result is fantastic. I mean, they are not abrasive, they are natural. I don't know what the results will be over the years, applying this to heather wood. But it's just a novice's experiment.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I've heard of the Life Savers museum and museum of mustard, but a wax that is museum quality would probably make for a small museum as there aren't that many waxes out there.

Unless of course you mean

• Haha
Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Some time ago I studied the productsheets ; renaissance, P. and H. wax.
It occured to me that it all , more or less, comes down to the same.
As memory serves correctly the Renaissance - , or museum wax offers the highest melting point.
Food grade makes no sense to me, it is chemical stuff. The odd smell of white spirit quickly evaporates.
The renaissance is my favourite for both smooth and sandblasted/rusticated bowls.
Stems are waxed with Walker's carnauba wax. The tiny jar is ancient, but seems to last forever.

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
Some time ago I studied the productsheets ; renaissance, P. and H. wax.
It occured to me that it all , more or less, comes down to the same.
As memory serves correctly the Renaissance - , or museum wax offers the highest melting point.
Food grade makes no sense to me, it is chemical stuff. The odd smell of white spirit quickly evaporates.
The renaissance is my favourite for both smooth and sandblasted/rusticated bowls.
Stems are waxed with Walker's carnauba wax. The tiny jar is ancient, but seems to last forever.
Renaissance is my go to for years.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I have and use Renaissance Wax, but more as a protectant than a shiny pipe maker.
I also rub it on the reviver of my early seventies Winchester 94’s that are made of mystery metal alloy.

It does make my lips tingle in stems if it hasn’t been much time after buffing by hand, perhaps the carrier of the micro crystalline hasn’t “flashed off” by then.