PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
I used to use Carnauba wax on my pipes. The only problem was that it turned white in any of the cracks and crevices of my rusticated or sandblasted bowls if not thoroughly removed.

Problem solved- one pipe maker recommended Renaissance wax polish made in England. I researched it and saw that it is used by major museums and conservators on antique furniture and dries clear. It’s made by appointment to Her Majesty the Queen and a small jar was less than $20. I highly recommend it, as shown in the photos below.

(tap on photos to enlarge)

Attachments

• IMG_9418.jpeg
    IMG_9418.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9423.jpeg
    IMG_9423.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9420.jpeg
    IMG_9420.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9421.jpeg
    IMG_9421.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9422.jpeg
    IMG_9422.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 33

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Renaissance is one of several microcrystalline waxes on the market. Two newer versions, formulated specifically for pipes, one for smooth, the other for rusticated or blasts, are Halcyon and Paragon waxes. Ive used them for years and they work great. None of these are as durable as a buffed on carnuba. On the other hand, they can be brought up to every bit as high gloss as carnuba, and there's no risk of gradually buffing the pipe into a soft lump.

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
Renaissance is one of several microcrystalline waxes on the market. Two newer versions, formulated specifically for pipes, one for smooth, the other for rusticated or blasts, are Halcyon and Paragon waxes. Ive used them for years and they work great. None of these are as durable as a buffed on carnuba. On the other hand, they can be brought up to every bit as high gloss as carnuba, and there's no risk of gradually buffing the pipe into a soft lump.
Thanks for that information. I will check them out. I do have a buffing wheel, but it is not variable speed and I am concerned that it may be a little too fast for my older pipes.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

+1 For Halcyon and Paragon, I use both. 👍

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I used to use Carnauba wax on my pipes. The only problem was that it turned white in any of the cracks and crevices of my rusticated or sandblasted bowls if not thoroughly removed.

Heat gun = gone

Indeed, over-waxing on a hard wheel to deliberately create white buildup in the cracks and crevices, followed by a heat gun & final buff on a soft wheel (while it's still warm) is the only way to reach the low spots that hand polishing can't reach.

The technique works equally well with microcrystalline wax---which is what Paragon is---if you like the look and hand feel of it better.

Here's a full rundown on the subject by hardcore shop guys:

Anyone tried block microcrystalline wax on a buff? - pipemakersforum.com - http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12621

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I do have a buffing wheel, but it is not variable speed and I am concerned that it may be a little too fast for my older pipes.
The real danger is having your pipe flung across the room and breaking against a wall or floor.
As happened to me the first time I used one.

It was an old buffer gifted by a well-intentioned friend and did not come with instructions. And he had forgotten what a klutz I am with power tools
:(

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
The real danger is having your pipe flung across the room and breaking against a wall or floor.
As happened to me the first time I used one.

It was an old buffer gifted by a well-intentioned friend and did not come with instructions. And he had forgotten what a klutz I am with power tools
:(
Yep, I too learned the hard way to always keep my index finger inside the bowl…

Reactions: jpmcwjr and OzPiper
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have not heard of Rennaissance wax, so thank you for sharing. Since I don't have a buffing wheel, I use Halcyon and Paragon waxes for my pipes. They both are great on my pipes and give the briar and the stems a nice finish. Super easy to use as well.

Reactions: Mike N

Briarcutter

Can't Leave
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
Im pretty sure Renaissance wax is made with petroleum distillates which you want to avoid on a smoking pipe.It is great wax for many applications, but IMO, not a smoking pipe. I cannot speak of the other two waxes mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: umbrella001

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Im pretty sure Renaissance wax is made with petroleum distillates which you want to avoid on a smoking pipe.It is great wax for many applications, but IMO, not a smoking pipe. I cannot speak of the other two waxes mentioned.
What dangers have you observed for those using same? Or something you read? Or deduced?

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
I use Renaissance wax on the exterior of my briar which does not contact my mouth. To the contrary, Vulcanite pipe stems which do contact our lips and which we bite into on occasion, are made largely of synthetic rubber which in turn is made from petroleum.

Interesting point, though.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I can’t envision any problem as you are applying to the exterior of the stummel and not using as a chamber coating

I use Obsidian oil on my stems

Reactions: Mike N

Briarcutter

Can't Leave
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I don't like the odor of petroleum on the briar and i believe what ever is on the outside will eventually come to the inside. It comes down to what ever the owner is comfortable with. I knew an old collector that use to put Ponds hand cream on rusticated pipes to bring out the luster. I cringed but also felt they were his pipes and he was entitled to do what ever he chose.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What dangers have you observed for those using same? Or something you read? Or deduced? (Besides unpleasant odor)