PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Inuwamoha

Lurker
May 24, 2023
I totally get what you mean about finding a reliable mover. I'm actually in the same situation right now and looking for recommendations. It's frustrating when all you hear is that some movers are "shady." So if anyone here has had a great experience with a mover, please share! I'd really appreciate it. By the way, thanks for starting this thread, it's super helpful. Oh, and speaking of movers, I came across some moving services for interstate moves, like from Massachusetts to NYC. AOAMoving seems like a good option. I'm thinking of giving them a try. Check out their website here: https://аoamoving.com/long-distance-movers/from-boston-to-nyc. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I'm new here on the forum.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
We've hired movers several times over the years, last one was 25 years ago, so all I have for you is an anecdote:

My wife's employer was paying to move us about 50 miles from our Sears cottage rental to our current house. I packed all my own stuff like photo gear, arms and ammo, etc, and moved it myself. Everything else was packed by the movers. We were both there the entire time, and had pre-printed stickers with the box destination (i.e. Living Room, Master Bedroom, etc) and as boxes were filled, slapped the stickers on 5 sides of the boxes. It all went like grass through a goose. Zip, zap they were done. After a month in the new house, we realized that a set of silver candlesticks that my parents had bought on their honeymoon in Mexico, were nowhere to be found. Were were still unpacking boxes for several months, but no candlesticks. Skip ahead 10 years and my wife and I are cleaning out the basement. What had been pretty much empty was now packed with assorted junk. Basements are like purgatory, a place to hang out until the final solution is put into effect. Well, there's all kinds of worthless stuff and were being ruthless, not even opening boxes, just tossing it. We get to a moving box labeled "Shit From The Dinning room Table". My wife says "Toss it. We haven't missed it for ten years, we don't need it". Intrigued by the contents description, I argued for opening it. Inside we found a set of keys, unpaid utility bills, loose change, pens, sharpies, two cigars, an unopened newspaper from the day we moved, magazines, a supermarket circular, gloves, socks and...the silver candlesticks. Everything that was left at the end of the day, before they took the table. Just swept it all into the box, sealed it up and slapped an errant purgatory "Basement" sticker on it, and off it went, into a ten year exile.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Any luck with this @sablebrush52 ? Not sure why anyone would want to leave California!
Just returned from driving up my paintings and art equipment, along with camera gear and bins of tobaccos. My next trip will include other valuable personal property, legal docs, etc, things that I won't risk getting "lost". My son just left to bring up his personal valuables. Hopefully the rest of our belongins will arrive safe and sound. I've put a lot of effort into the packing of more fragile objects, and every box is addressed. I'll also be sending a detailed inventory of all items they are moving. We'll see.

California is a great state, but it's facing serious problems, like a lot of other states, and it has a lack of political talent, and intelligence, like a lot of other states.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Just returned from driving up my paintings and art equipment, along with camera gear and bins of tobaccos. My next trip will include other valuable personal property, legal docs, etc, things that I won't risk getting "lost". My son just left to bring up his personal valuables. Hopefully the rest of our belongins will arrive safe and sound. I've put a lot of effort into the packing of more fragile objects, and every box is addressed. I'll also be sending a detailed inventory of all items they are moving. We'll see.

California is a great state, but it's facing serious problems, like a lot of other states, and it has a lack of political talent, and intelligence, like a lot of other states.
I did the same last time I moved, all the "good cigars" got packed up and driven in my car and ... well that's about it, the movers handled everything else BUT if i had more valuable objects they would have been driven by me as well. Had a friend that moved and once the movers set everything up and left he went to put his cigars away and some of the sealed boxes were cracked and the open boxes had handfuls of cigars missing, hard to prove that so you basically just have to bitch on the phone then eat it.