PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm going to need to hire a mover for an interstate move in a few months. I thought I'd start my search by asking here if anyone has had a mover they liked. What I've heard from people I know is more along the lines of this or that mover was less "shady" which is hardly a sterling recommendation. So anyone use a mover they thought did a great job, or is the field just populated by thugs?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Moving is my least favorite thing to do. While I encourage packing with a movie on in the background, the one time I added a few adult beverages to the mix was a disaster (despite not being sloshed).

Not liking to move myself and friends being too far and few between (and slightly too old), I've used companies. The best was a distant relative with a close second being 2 Men and a Truck.

Since I'm in Michigan, my words may not be too helpful but there are some decent movers.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Interstate, no. But even local, you get what you pay for. Had to move our stuff into a storage due to the new house not being ready. The ones who moved our stuff to storage sucked. They had good reviews and all, but seems like they were not ready for the house our size. They talked fine on the phone then sent less people with a smaller truck. Took all day and night to load and didn't finish the job. Got pissed and raised hell. Got most of the money back. When moving out of storage, hired well known movers and everything was done before the promised time with extra people. Much more expensive, but was better in the end.

F

fMf Piper

We have had to move across the country more than a few times for work, and we have never used the same moving company twice, if that says anything. All were national brands, and we still always ended up with damaged or missing items, and their "insurance" is junk.

Hopefully @Streeper541 will be able to help out.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
We did an interstate move almost 9 years ago. What we did was pack everything ourselves and then hire local movers to get the big stuff and load it all into a truck, which I drove to the new home, where I hired other local movers to unload it all.

It may not have been easier or even much cheaper than hiring interstate movers, but not a single thing was broken or missing.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
We moved frequently in my years in the Navy so I've only experienced some of the "big" names who would typically win the annual contract. Most of them were okay, some breakage, damage and lost stuff each time. When we moved after I retired in 2021, we used a local moving company, to move from Metro DC to NC, suggested by our realtor. Wow we never knew how good it could be, only one item suffered slight damage which the mover pointed out to us.

We found we could save some money and POM by packing some stuff ourselves, the mover dropped off boxes, tape and paper for us to use, any leftovers they used when they came for final packout. We moved stuff like jewelry, cameras, computers, firearms, ammunition, and expensive pilferables ourselves. Interstate moves are charged by weight, not volume or number of boxes. Our mover expected a cashier's check or cash before unloading at the destination, they called us after the truck was weighed to tell us the fee so we could get to the bank before they arrived. The actual cost was pretty close to the estimate provided when they did a walkthrough. I'd also check into insurance, the moving company will have some and maybe your homeowners has some coverage, neither may be enough to cover your stuff especially if you have rare/expensive pieces.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Unfortunately, I have no suggestions with regard to a moving company—the few moves I’ve done have been handled mainly by myself with friends and family.

It may be obvious, but I thought it worth mentioning it’s worth taking the time to label the contents on the top and all four sides of each box, along with a number for each box, and a keep a list of the boxes and their numbers if time permits. It helps with locating items you need on the other end and keeping track of what is where. Unpacking doesn’t always happen as fast as one would like, and having the contents labeled comes in handy when you need something specific, like art supplies or kitchen utensils, or a reference book.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
It may be obvious, but I thought it worth mentioning it’s worth taking the time to label the contents on the top and all four sides of each box, along with a number for each box, and a keep a list of the boxes and their numbers if time permits. It helps with locating items you need on the other end and keeping track of what is where. Unpacking doesn’t always happen as fast as one would like, and having the contents labeled comes in handy when you need something specific, like art supplies or kitchen utensils, or a reference book.
The mover will attach an inventory sticker to each item which will then be added to an inventory sheet, you'll be asked to sign all of the inventory sheets after the truck(s) are off loaded. I'd suggest putting your name with a big marker somewhere on the outside of each box, I don't think you need to label five sides of every box.

In retrospect we'd have tried to label our boxes to indicate better where they we to go in the new house, not where they came from in the old. That would have reduced moving boxes around to different locations after unpacking started. At times we had 7 folks packing boxes at a time so it's hard to keep track of all of the labeling.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
Based on experiences with two moving companies in the last year, best advice is " buyer beware".
Moving companies, even familiar names, hire gig workers or subcontract to independent movers. They'll play games by charging how many steps from door to truck and they decide where the count begins. If the initial van is an eighteen wheeler that will not fit in the apartment complex they'll unload and reload a smaller truck, without telling you, and charge for the new truck rental plus loading and unloading the truck and the "steps" between trucks.
Then they'll try to charge more upon delivery because "they didn't know there were steps to the second floor.
Another problem is the window they give for pick up and delivery. This can be anywhere from three dates but often twice that and you won't know for sure until the day before. Kind of makes it a PITA if you have to arrange for someone to be present. Oh yea, and they insist on cash.
I'd seriously consider portable storage or moving pods.
If you'd like some names to avoid feel free to PM me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Unfortunately, I have no suggestions with regard to a moving company—the few moves I’ve done have been handled mainly by myself with friends and family.

Thanks, I've been doing that.

This will be my first move using anyone but myself and a couple of friends. But with my physical conditions, it's the only way to do it.