PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
You're doing great! I definitely do not recommend those bit plastic cabinets that are supposed to be made for tools. They say they have reinforced shelves, but one night all four shelves just collapsed, pretty much destroying the cabinet, which went straight to the dump.

I now have mine in boxes on a set of metal shelves. I really need to get them out of the boxes or in some fashion of organiozation. Right now, I am playing a game of reaching my hand in a box and just smoking whatever I grab, ha ha. It's like a present, sometimes a nice surprise, sometimes not, ha ha.
That’s my idea with organizing by brand etc. hopefully easier to find what I want. Before my process was close to yours. Find a jar and say “ok I’m gonna smoke that”.

once I get it all inputted into the tobaccocellar site... I can look there to see what I’ve got and pick off that. Then I also know which one is oldest and can start with that one.

the shelves are “closet-maid” brand so I’m gonna see if they make a solid shelf of some kind rather than wire. It makes the jars want to tip over.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Thanks for the inspiration! I am in Pipe Tobacco Cellar! right now updating.

Have you had to add a surprising number of blends? I had to add 4th Generation the Brand, as well as Charatan and Kramer's. I have added like 15 blends. They had only one Hearth and Home blend in the list. I love the site, but it is painful going.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thanks for the inspiration! I am in Pipe Tobacco Cellar! right now updating.

Have you had to add a surprising number of blends? I had to add 4th Generation the Brand, as well as Charatan and Kramer's. I have added like 15 blends. They had only one Hearth and Home blend in the list. I love the site, but it is painful going.
Yes I had to add probably over 50% (maybe more)

the stupid thing is that other people can add blends or brands, but only for themselves. So if every person on there needs “X” brand.. every single person needs to add it themself.

• Love
Reactions: wyfbane and 3rdguy

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Have you done the search thing first? I think I added someone else's brand, but I am not sure. Then some cornhole misspelled Sutliff with Sutliffe and I accidently added it so now I have duelling Sutliffs... lol

You are smarter than I. I actually am trying to add the $ part so my wife knows a vague reference for selling the stuff should I die. My son will be well versed in tobacco prices, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Have you done the search thing first? I think I added someone else's brand, but I am not sure. Then some cornhole misspelled Sutliff with Sutliffe and I accidently added it so now I have duelling Sutliffs... lol

You are smarter than I. I actually am trying to add the $ part so my wife knows a vague reference for selling the stuff should I die. My son will be well versed in tobacco prices, though.
I have searched an found some of them. I have no clue why it’s in there as “Sutliffe”. I just pretend it’s old timey and use that one for sutliff rather than adding a new brand.
I don’t believe you can add anyone else’s “adds” though. That’s what I find dumb. Like if I enter in Sutliff 515RC1... it should then be on the list that everyone uses. But it’s not.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Very impressive stash. Not too proud to admit I have serious cellar envy. If you don’t mind me asking...how much on average do you spend on tobacco a month, and generally how much per order? Is this your main vice/hobby? How much you think you have and do you have a goal in mind. I’d love to see it fully organized with labels, etc. Very impressive.

My wife puts up with a lot of my shit, but yours must be a saint. Much respect.

Mike D

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2020
the shelves are “closet-maid” brand so I’m gonna see if they make a solid shelf of some kind rather than wire. It makes the jars want to tip over.
Put a piece of cardboard on the shelf before you start stacking the jars, and that will keep them from wanting to fall over due to the wires. If you are going to go to another level of jars, simply put another piece of cardboard over the top of the first layer of jars, and then stack. Also, I've found that if I keep the boxes that the jars come in, I can just put the jars back in the boxes before putting in the cellar. They stack a lot better that way, and you don't necessarily have to put them on shelves....you could just stack the boxes on top of each other on the floor. Will instantly give you more space in your closet.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Very impressive stash. Not too proud to admit I have serious cellar envy. If you don’t mind me asking...how much on average do you spend on tobacco a month, and generally how much per order? Is this your main vice/hobby? How much you think you have and do you have a goal in mind. I’d love to see it fully organized with labels, etc. Very impressive.

My wife puts up with a lot of my shit, but yours must be a saint. Much respect.
For tobacco maybe a couple hundred a month for a year to get here. Before that I had a bit, but not much at all.

right now yeah it’s the main thing I buy. I’m basically just trying to get to a point at some point where I don’t really need to buy any.

and yeah my wife bitches about it.. but I think I have her talked into buying me some cringle flake for Christmas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.