PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
We all know the big names...Dunhill, Peterson, Savinelli.... But what about less,um, "renowned" pipes,past and present?

What lesser brands do you like or found to be suprisingly good smokers?
Myself, Certainly L&H Stern is my personal favorite...Handmade pipes, average briar at the time(1880s thru 1950s) but would be considered premium briar today.

Dr Grabow goes without saying. Ive never had a bad Grabow. I think Whithalls were very nice pipes also! I have 4 or 5 and only one was disappointing but that was due to the previous owner.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I second the Grabows. I also like the Bentons that Iwan Ries sells. Cheap and smoke great.
-Jason
*edit- Hit send accidentally.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I will have to go with the Amphora ,WDC and Sterncrest lines . My own Amphoras though not pretty out smoke most of my rack . As of late they commend higher prices on EBay .

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Hey, all you pipe mongers stay the hell away from the nice Aldo Velani that's on Fleabay this week, it's my turn Darnnit, I don't have a great pipe to my name...lol

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Older Edwards pipes are usually made from very high quality Algerian briar and are almost always great smokes. Some of the Tinder Box pipes are nice, I've got two that were made by Armellini that are excellent.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Great thread.
I've been thinking of my next pipe being either a Hardcastle or Ben Wade from the B&M, but some of you guys have convinced me to go on and get a Grabow.
As far as the ones I own, I don't think enough good things can be said about Savinelli's Baronet Bruyere line.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Dr. G's have been well chewed in this string.
So I'll, change tracks a little.

I have recently acquired three good pipes none of the makers have been mentioned as of yet.

#1TRG

Truly an up and coming craftsman.
#2Johs

Very high quality and reasonably priced.
#3Maggiore

Again very high quality, except these are Stefano seconds. The blemishes are only detectable with very careful inspection and are worth far more than what they retail for.
That's my 2 cents.
Edit: Here they are:

DSCF4026.jpg

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Are Cassano pipes underrated? I don't often see anything about them on the forums.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Pstlpkr,
That TRG is pretty sweet. Nothing but good things about that one.
The Johs is very nice also and looks like it'd smoke forever.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I grabbed a Falcon for 2.49 off ebay about a week back and I find it to be my go to pipe as of right now. It has a great draw and cleaning with the removable bowl is a breeze. Also I snagged a Duncan Lytewaite and it is also a great smoker.

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
I also have a couple of Wally Franks that are great smokers....As a matter of fact, I need to take a pic of one for yall. Its a little and maybe someone here may have some info.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Here are a few brands that I think are underrated or do not get enough recognition. These are only limited to brands that I own and have smoked:
Cassano Pipes

LaRocca Pipes

Luciano Pipes

Bob Gilbert Pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.