PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
What is the most money you have paid (or would pay,) for a pipe? And who is (or would be) the maker?

Dec 24, 2012
Pasted from an e-mail in my outbox from earlier today:
"Why honey, as you know, I would never pay, and never have paid, more than $50 for a pipe. By the way, you are the best wife a man could ask for."

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I don't keep track what I spend on my pipes. I paid a few hundred for a vintage Dunhill that was probably my most spent in one shot.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not so much. I really enjoy getting what I perceive as a lot of pipe for not so much, and thereby being able to have a large variety of shapes, finishes, and nationalities, and a wide selection when I go for a smoke. With a windfall sale of a piece of writing, I bought my most expensive pipe, which was a new Ser Jacopo 1/4 bent blast Dublin, on sale from smokingpipes.com about three years ago for something like $175 plus shipping. You can't get anywhere near that (low) now, even with estate pipes. (Mostly, I'm sure you might find something on ebay.) My other most expensive pipe was given to me by a generous Forums member. It was sent with some tobacco he'd tried and didn't want, and it was such a surprise, I didn't know it was in the box until he asked after I'd thanked him for the tobacco! Boy was I surprised. It's a smooth bent billiard Ferndown with a silver band, the perfect cooker for Semois burley variants.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
I bought a Gamboni for $695, but I had credit with Smoking Pipes. I wound up returning that one though, unsmoked. I replaced that with a Eltang for $430ish.
Looking to break a record in Chicago though!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
iajaffe said:

I bought a Gamboni for $695, but I had credit with Smoking Pipes. I wound up returning that one though, unsmoked.

What caused you to return the pipe?
I've always spent less than my credit limit. Just.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
$67.00 for a 1956 656 Dunhill Shell Briar. I paid $70.00 for a Howard Schulte Dunhill certified replacement stem.

It did come with a stem, just not the original and I thought I wanted it to be Dunhill all the way. Now the first stem doesn't fit, because, evidently, Howard reamed my stummel to make his fit.

I might spend more money to get an artisan (hand made all the way...Balkovek comes to mind) some day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hasten to add, despite my thrift in piping, that I think it is inspiring when Forums members and others invest in artisanal and other fine pipes. My wanting to do this on more or less a shoestring isn't a philosophical stance, just my way of going. I really enjoy and savor fishnbanjo, peck, foggymountain and other photos showing magnificent pipes at higher prices. Knowing what's out there enhances rather than diminishes my enjoyment of my own rack(s) of pipes.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
$200 USD for a Tinsky Canadian.

$290 CAD for a sandblasted Stanwell Hans Christian Andersen Cutty with regular and churchwarden stems. :puffy:

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I don't believe I've ever spent more than $30 or so on any pipe... all have been estates, except for my first pipe which was a basket pipe, but that was $15... I do have a few $100+ pipes, that were new, but those were gifted to me by my wife or my best friend.
I do however, really appreciate the beauty of many of your guy's pipe's... I sit back at times and watch what many of you post and man there are some truly beautiful pipes. I just cannot justify spending that type of money when at the end of the day, its all about the tobacco for me. Of course my disposable income has been very limited the last quite a few years... so maybe that has allot to do with it, but I don't believe it to be.

rainman_zpszw812hf8.jpg

KMart sucks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.