PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Sometimes my wife tries talking to me in the morning before my left eye is even open. Granted, sometimes that takes 3 cups of coffee first, but still.
It took about a half century to achieve but I’ve pretty much discouraged people from talking to me before 9-10 in the morning. For damn sure I’ve got them to expect snarling, grumbling and cursing at best and thrown objects or half coherent threats of horrible and imminent doom being more likely.

My lovely wife grasps the situation perfectly and doesn’t even try. She puts a large black coffee in front of me and leaves me alone. Anything that needs to be discussed she writes on a note on the fridge so I can actually comprehend post coffee.

Works great.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I agree, black is the only way to drink coffee, unless it is barista-made cappuccino or latte. A local place that serves pricy but excellent doughnuts makes what they deem a seasonal raspberry-latte, which is in abeyance until it cools off. So here we add flavoring to milk both of which I say I abhor, adding to the argument that that ambivalence undermines my opening statement.

So the spirit of "Smoke what you like and like what you smoke" applies equally to coffee despite the following.

My theory is that like all mass-produced consumer goods produced by corporations, coffee, like beer, cigarettes, etc. etc. is produced as cheaply as possible, losing all character and a substantial amount of quality, becoming the object of millions of dollars advertising campaigns to convince a public of the merit of these goods even in its absence. Think of the Clydesdales of Budweiser or Mrs. Olson and the incorruptible Juan Valdez of Folgers. Think of the millions/billions? spent in this effort, creating entirely fictitious characters to mouth duplicitous advertising. By this these brands gain an intimacy in the mind approaching family.

Then think of the staggering profit! Nestle's in the last few years have been multi-billion. Money is power, the power to manipulate the marketplace.

I agree, black is the only way to drink coffee, unless it is barista-made cappuccino or latte. A local place that serves pricy but excellent doughnuts makes what they deem a seasonal raspberry-latte, which is in abeyance until it cools off. So here we add flavoring to milk both of which I say I abhor, adding to the argument that that ambivalence undermines my opening statement.

So the spirit of "Smoke what you like and like what you smoke" applies equally to coffee despite the following.

My theory is that like all mass-produced consumer goods produced by corporations, coffee, like beer, cigarettes, etc. etc. is produced as cheaply as possible, losing all character and a substantial amount of quality, becoming the object of millions of dollars advertising campaigns to convince a public of the merit of these goods even in its absence. Think of the Clydesdales of Budweiser or Mrs. Olson and the incorruptible Juan Valdez of Folgers. Think of the millions/billions? spent in this effort, creating entirely fictitious characters to mouth duplicitous advertising. By this these brands gain an intimacy in the mind approaching family.

Then think of the staggering profit! Nestle's in the last few years have been multi-billion. Money is power, the power to manipulate the marketplace.
I love how a simple coffee post can lead into a declaration against the evils of capitalism, ha ha. Keep an eye on the blood pressure, market surveys say that it leads to worse problems down the line. puffy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I agree, black is the only way to drink coffee, unless it is barista-made cappuccino or latte.
One opinion.

What about when the coffee's crap? Or great coffee too long on the hot plate? Milk and sugar save the day.

I drank only black coffee for almost 50 years. Now I make my own cappucinni, and it's as good as from a fine coffee shop. Still enjoy a great black coffee when I'm away from home.

No comment on the balance of the post....

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
A codger I know asked me to order him 12 Captain black pouches for cheap online and I’m taxing him one (he still gets a great deal) and I’m looking forward to smoking it…
Talk your codger friend into buying the Lane bulk versions of Capt Black. He'll save money and codgers like that.

I verified with Lane by phone years ago that they're the same:
Capt Black White = Lane RLP-6
Capt Black Blue = Lane 1-Q
Capt Black Gold = Lane MV-1000

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Coffee and a pipe is what makes the weekends!

Agreed. I’m not a morning person, so I have no time for a pipe in the morning before work and I usually drink my coffee on the go.

But on the weekend, I love starting my day with a coffee and a cob of burley, which go great together as many know. This morning, it was a mug of cold brew and some Angler’s Dream in a cob.