PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
In the category of Benefits of Pipe Smoking: The Morning Coffee. Several years ago before retirement, I wondered if the office coffee really sucked that bad or if it was something else. Of course you couldn't smoke in the office. The only difference in coffee from home to office was the fact that I liked my morning coffee with a pipe. That was the main difference. The pipe gave me that smokey, nutty taste that I like to have with my dark, bold coffee. The so-called experts say that you loose the use of a great many taste buds once you get into the 60 age group. That is probably true for me, plus I believe coffee isn't the quality it use to be either, but due to the two pipe bowls with my morning coffee, it is still a blessing and an enjoyment.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
There’s lots of good coffee out there, more than probably ever. Like pipes, beer, and spirits there has been sort of a blossoming of independent roasters doing good work.

unfortunatly, there’s a lot of offices and society that are totally content with buying the mass produced stuff in a plastic cup. It’s always good to experiment with different roasters! You might find some blends you truly enjoy on their own.

I wake up every morning just before the sun comes up, grab a cup of my mass produced, non hipster approved, Maxwell House, and set on my back deck to watch the sun come up with my pipe. I will drink a Starbucks or whatever swill is being served at independent roasters, but it's not what I enjoy the most. I think it's whatever you get used to. If you drink primarily hipster Ethiopian whoopsie blend, pour overs, then you get used to that as your favorites.

Just like there are guys who only smoke Carter Hall or Granger, not everyone likes the same things. Me? I especially love a cup of coffee at about 2PM, when the pot has had time to set on the burner for a whole day and cook. Man, that is the best cup of coffee. Like on Barney Miller, when Detective Yamena made the coffee... That's the good stuff.
1631626881993.png

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
It’s ok. Maxwell House is like the aromatics of coffee.

:)
Actually it is worse, there are actually some good aromatics:) Been enjoying aros lately.

I‘m joking of course, I enjoyed Cosmic’s story of his morning routine and it is whatever you like…. Macdonald’s makes a decent cup of Java these days…

A codger I know asked me to order him 12 Captain black pouches for cheap online and I’m taxing him one (he still gets a great deal) and I’m looking forward to smoking it…

I've been smoking tobaccoweed since 1962 and could never tolerate the smoke before lunch. Not even cigs. Especially cigs. Ain't dat weird? I'm delicate...and quite pretty, if I do say so myself.
I've heard of weirder. You're going to have to really work harder to be as weird as some of us. Ha ha.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Two bowls of EMP or Presbyterian with espresso has become my morning ritual (when possible). A good cup and a good pipe on the back deck is something I look forward to. However, this quiet pleasure is frequently intruded upon by my beloved dogs barking at a neighbors cat or a passing deer. Such is life
The dogs are a blessing all by themselves. It is amazing how much joy our furry friends bring us.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
In the category of Benefits of Pipe Smoking: The Morning Coffee. Several years ago before retirement, I wondered if the office coffee really sucked that bad or if it was something else. Of course you couldn't smoke in the office. The only difference in coffee from home to office was the fact that I liked my morning coffee with a pipe. That was the main difference. The pipe gave me that smokey, nutty taste that I like to have with my dark, bold coffee. The so-called experts say that you loose the use of a great many taste buds once you get into the 60 age group. That is probably true for me, plus I believe coffee isn't the quality it use to be either, but due to the two pipe bowls with my morning coffee, it is still a blessing and an enjoyment.
I have experienced a change in what tastes good. Never drank office coffee, but now have to have heavy whipping cream frothy with morning brew. I’ve always been a coffee snob grinding my beans and using either a Chemex, press, or stove top expresso.

Back when I was addicted to tobacco, I always wanted a chew first thing. If I wanted a pipe first thing, I’d be concerned, not for you, just me.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I always have a pipe with my morning coffee. I used to be a bean whore but got tired of that game. I love my Cafe Dumonde coffee that was created back in 1862 I believe. It is the Chicory that makes it special. It is a very dark and strong coffee. I use half and half and Stevia. I would own a nice espresso machine but then I would never get any sleep as I would be pounding shots of espresso all day long. I drink my espresso with nothing in it and just a lemon twist. I have to stop drinking my coffee by 5 pm, 6 at the absolute latest. I don't know how anyone doesn't smoke a pipe with their morning coffee.