More New Forums Members Than Ever? Why Is That?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There is definitely a more open environment at PM that keeps it more interesting for people. Occasionally people take advantage of that and they eventually get the boot, but not before being given opportunity to adjust their behavior. The result is a less buttoned down space, but with limits as any successful establishment will impose.

PM has also been fortunate to have people who are genuinely knowledgeable about pipes and tobaccos join to share their knowledge. You can learn something actually useful in pursuit of the past time here.

Overall it's an interesting assortment of personalities who can be more personal than other places, just as long as they have some sense of boundaries.

Add to that, the Mods here are, and have always been, exceptional!

Occasionally people take advantage of that and they eventually get the boot
Like George R. R. Martin, Kevin likes to remind us that NO ONE is essential here, no one is more important than the rest of us. He will eliminate you like Rob Stark without blinking an eye. But, only once you've crossed his lines.

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
To the Mods...
Alan Alda Captain Benjamin Franklin “Hawkeye” Pierce Mash Army salute gif |  Mash show, Alan alda, Alan alda mash
One of the few Hawkeye salutes, but all the more fitting. When he saluted, he meant it. Or made a joke out of it. Anyway, he meant well. Even if he was standing on that soap box of his. 😁

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I like this place. People don’t mind newbies asking the questions that often reoccur. This forum is a place of rest, enjoyment, and is populated by houses of learned doctors of tobacco. I salute you all.

To determine causality, a randomized experimental approach would be needed. The last experiment of the sort would likely be the 1960s surgeon general report, which without looking at their methods and on reference from memory might not have been a true experiment in its own right.

Regardless, I will accept that nugget of wisdom from the then credible SG….pipe smokers live longer. And maybe better.

Regards,
OM

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I’m not sure why I picked up a pipe this year. Some people like wines, some like bourbon, some cigars… but most people like to have some hobby to pursue and become an expert in.

The part I like best is exploring all the varieties there are on offer as far as the tobaccos go.

And I like the history of it too… a Peterson that’s just like what I’d have bought in a shop in the days when gaslight meant the streetlights… some of the same blends people enjoyed back in those days, before the wars or between them. As an Anglophile in many ways, it’s appealing.

But then you look at the golden age of Hollywood, even to (for some of us) our grandfathers, you like keeping a tradition from those days alive.

And pipe smoking may no longer have the social connotation of an activity for the genteel and distinguished, but there’s no doubt as to the merit of something that makes us slow down, appreciate small things, goes along naturally with deep thought, and thus breeds contentment and level thinking.

For me cigarettes were always low class, and cigars were for the brash and boisterous. Pipes are a different thing entirely.

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
Covid plays a part in it for sure. The pandemic found me hanging outside a lot with friends, and smoking cigars became a thing we did together. I had always had maybe 10-20 cigars a year, but it was becoming a lot more - a few per week. I found that cigars often took too long to smoke, and the cost was getting prohibitive (in Canada a decent cigar is at least $15 a pop).

I've always been curious about pipe smoking and took the plunge. Gotta admit, I not only love it, but I find that the reaction from most people when they see you smoking a pipe is great. Very few people enjoy cigar smoke, but many nonsmokers react positively to seeing a pipe and comment about how it reminds them of their father or grandfather.

torthur

Might Stick Around
Oct 4, 2022
Gdańsk, Poland
To me, it seems that somewhere subconsciously one longs for normal times. For a life without constant running and stress. More and more people are looking for this. I was also looking for it and started reading about pipe smoking at the same time longing for the "good old days".

As I started reading, I drew more and more from the knowledge contained in this forum. In the end, I decided to register, because this is at the moment the only place on the net with an active community and an overwhelming knowledge.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
I drifted in from another forum that has become very quiet and much to my surprise connected with Aussie pipe smokers and also some other nice souls scattered around the globe, been very rewarding to be a part of thus far. There is a good dedicated group here that keep most of the chats moving and of interest to many I’d suggest.

noobpipes

Lurker
Sep 2, 2022
Brazil - Rio de Janeiro
I'm a foreigner here.
I communicate with the confreres using a translator. (sometimes I make my corrections) My English is not good. I'm from Brazil.
I have 3 months of pipe. Many techniques learned and applied.
I follow more. I participate little.
Thank you for allowing me to participate, despite having poor communication. I have never been discriminated against in this forum and I am always grateful for the cordiality of the confreres.
Thanks!

visualmemory

Lurker
Sep 22, 2022
Can't say for others only for myself. I'm from small country in Europe and I'm using internet since newsgroups (too bad they are gone, those were the times). I'v seen rise an fall of disccusion boards when came social media, facebook ect. Local pipe smoking web pages and forums are pretty much dead and I ditched Facebook 2 years ago (best decission ever) so I'm lurking here. Also found local pipe smokers pretty elitist (at least in their internet interactions), so all Mc Baren is bad, aros are not real tobacco, like this. I see It's more loose here.

Warlee

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2022
Michigan
Speaking for myself. Tried pipe smoking, enjoyed it so joined here to read and get a few questions answered. After the initial obsession with trying 50 kinds of tobacco I’ve settled into what fits my palette and lifestyle. Still on here regularly but mostly just reading as I enjoy a good smoke.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I'm from Brazil.
Welcome! I have a house in Sao Paulo. There's some tobacco to be found there, but your best bet is ordering by mail.

Unfortunately, only 1-2 companies in the U.S. will ship tobacco to Brazil. There is a guy in Argentina who blends his own mixtures and sells to Brazil. Can't recall his name at the moment, but he's in Buenos Aires.

When I come down, it's usually with a suitcase of tobacco to avoid having to order it. I think I'll be waiting a month or two after the elections to make sure all is stable and well though! Hope you're doing well.

What part of Brazil are you in?

Reactions: edger and JOHN72

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
It's like when everyone used to attended church back in the day. We're here with a common cause, apart from our secular cares, and an atmosphere of conviviality prevails, for the most part.
Lots of people still attend church regularly, myself included :) I think it has what a lot of people are looking for when they yearn for what was “back in the day.”

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Lots of people still attend church regularly, myself included :) I think it has what a lot of people are looking for when they yearn for what was “back in the day.”
Agreed. What I said was back when everybody used to attend church. That was an exaggeration. But nowadays, there is widespread disaffection with organised religion (depending on where you live), and people who don't attend church are often lacking the social connections afforded by those institutions.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I joined up here about a year ago, after finding the radio show pod. I had been on brothers of briar for years, but most of the guys I knew there wandered off… I like it here though, it’s much more active. I don’t post a lot, but then again I can’t read everything posted here daily. And I found a pipe club to hang out with near to where I live!

Reactions: edger and woodsroad
Status
Not open for further replies.