More New Forums Members Than Ever? Why Is That?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been on Forums since February 2013. I haven't been counting, but it seems there are more new member introductions than ever. Does this indicate an upsurge in pipe smoking, or is there some other factor? It also seems that about a third of new members are from outside the U.S. I'm intrigued, but I can't think of any contributing factors that would make this true. Ideas?

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Probably that Facebook is getting worse and worse.
Or could it be people are ditching FB to pursue more meaningful social media? This is my hope, though I’m not holding my breath. Perhaps some of our new members can give their thoughts. Perhaps they like the idea of social media that discusses a specific interest as opposed the FB, which is about everything (and nothing all at the same time😉)

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I would guess that, as the overall fascist clamp-down gets worse and worse, more and more people are looking for solace from oppression, whether they be frivolous diversions (e.g. social media) or serious contemplative pastimes (e.g. pipe smoking). The more new pipe smokers there are, the more instances of the various problems that plague beginners which, in turn, will inevitably drive them to places like this looking for answers. I just hope Kevin's hosting company has the bandwidth to accommodate the influx.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any social media is self-centered, I suppose, but I have always found Facebook and before them My Space, complete naval gazing, while the provider sells your data to the world for high prices. At least subject matter focus gives a site some sort of purpose and makes moderating possible.

I don't do Twitter, Instagram, or any of that. Few apps. No games. I'm almost a quill pen and parchment guy, I guess.

Anyway, I am fascinated by the number of new Forums members. I hope some of the new members stick with it, and that the ongoing members stay around.

I do notice that there are fewer new original posts, and fewer new posts on new subjects. There are six or eight subjects that recycled in various ways, ad infinitum, which is the only down side of new members who tend to ask the same questions coming in the door.

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
I am one of those new members here. Long time pipe smoker. I ditched Facebook a couple of years ago, along with Instagram and Twitter (although I never really used them). Still on Reddit, but the anti-tobacco mindset of that platform is getting really bad, and honestly, you can only tell people so many times that the pipes with screens in them that they bought of Amazon are for smoking weed before it gets frustrating.

Since I've been listening to Brian and was friends with him on Facebook for several years, it only made sense to retreat to the last bastion of pipe smoking freedom, this forum.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
People picked up "relaxation" smoking during covid or got a renewed interest with being at home and now it's kinda "gone" (it is but it isn't) they continue to do so. At least thats it for me. And indeed the anti smoking sentiment with other platforms like social media and large forum groups, while I have never been a fan of those compared to other cigar and or pipe forums.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It is simple. From US-China and everywhere else in the world, people wait with baited breath for the next pearls of wisdoms that come from my vast knowledge that encompasses the entire pipe world.

Most people don't realize that Jesse only learned what he did from me. GeorgD was fixing Grabows before coming in contact with me. The list goes on and on but you get the idea.

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
If I was to shoot from the hip, a lot of social media makes tobacco related content hard to enjoy or speak about openly. Here, a good old fashioned forum shines. Most forums are dead, their communities refugeeing to Discord or Reddit, but forums dedicated to particularly niche hobbies and subject can still thrive.

Also, Google is good to this forum. You Google a pipe related question, and chances are the first thing to pop up is a thread from this forum. It's how I discovered this place, and I even get the magazine catalog sent to my door! I think I was trying to find info about Peterson System Deluxe pipes, found a few threads here, and was impressed with the knowledge and kindliness presented by most of the people here. I only have one friend who smokes pipes, and bless him, he is a complete flake, so if I want to discuss this hobby, I got to do it online, and this seems like one of the best places to do it. I know I've enjoyed my time so far.

As something of an aside: I know newbies have a tendency to ask the same questions and not use the search function. I used to be member to several forums, so I was able to acquaint myself before even making posts here; you're all welcome I didn't ask you about using Q-tips to clean system pipes. But a lot of new folks, especially younger ones, well, forums are new to them. They didn't grow up with them like us millennials and younger gen-xers did. I know this probably doesn't need saying, but when a new guy comes with an old question, humor them and be polite. I'd bet you a dollar and a doughnut it's why we get newer members. But you folks are already decent at this, so all's good. :) Besides, even covering old topics can occasionally yield new perspectives.

Status
Not open for further replies.