PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Yeah cant smoke in the field, moose would pick up the scent from miles. The one bowl I had was the night before.
Huh, must have some spooky moose up there. I guess they wouldn't get that obscenely big if they weren't. When I lived in Wyoming, I was always more worried about walking right up on them and getting stomped than not finding them when I wanted to. We actually used to smoke while hunting to camouflage the scent of our BO.:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: kurtbob and petes03

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Huh, must have some spooky moose up there. I guess they wouldn't get that obscenely big if they weren't. When I lived in Wyoming, I was always more worried about walking right up on them and getting stomped than not finding them when I wanted to. We actually used to smoke while hunting to camouflage the scent of our BO.:ROFLMAO:
Yeah its contradictory in Alaska. Near town where moose are tame you do your best to avoid them, as they will stomp and kill your ass the moment you get too close. But wild moose have ears like satellite dishes and a nose that can smell for miles, and are shockingly silent in the woods for a huge animal. You almost never hear them before you see them. It’s all you can do to not get “busted”. At the first sign of unknown movement, smell, or sound, they are GONE.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Haha, indeed! Split between 4 guys though. Just got the final tally, 1,138 lbs! 25lbs of liver alone, hahaha. It will not be a lean winter!
How’s the liver? I’ve always heard that moose meat is awesome, but I’ve never heard anything about the liver. I love chicken liver, but can’t stand beef liver.
Also, what is your caliber of choice ?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
How’s the liver? I’ve always heard that moose meat is awesome, but I’ve never heard anything about the liver. I love chicken liver, but can’t stand beef liver.
Also, what is your caliber of choice ?
Moose liver is decent on its own, but makes excellent braunschweiger or liverwurst. It is exceptionally good if made with some heart mixed in. However moose heart is CRAZY GOOD on its own. Cut into strips and fried, or thicker strips and grilled, or in the slow cooker heart is amazing. Its always a tough choice whether to throw it into the schweig with liver or cook it on its own.

luckily, when we get two, we can do both ?

And yes, I prefer moose to almost any other game meat. Sitka blacktail, Dall sheep, axis deer, and Kudu are the only ones out there I’ve had that give it a run for its money. Granted though, I am biased, since I was raised on it. But I mean come on, a 7 foot long 20 lb backstrap? How do you beat that?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'm just waiting for Brobs to chime in with one of his pearls of wisdom rotf

Regards,

Jay.?
Actually, @BROBS and I have had quite a few very respectful conversations on the subjects of both hunting and veganism (and more). It’s amazing how much more enjoyable controversial topics can be when you approach them with an attitude of trying to understand the other person’s viewpoint rather than trying to MAKE them understand yours.

The white tail bucks I get down here, are like big dogs. I can haul one home by myself, so they have to be under 100lbs. It amazes me how they range in size from tiny mini deers down in Florida to huge horse sized bucks up in Wisconsin. I had a buck jump over me while mountain biking in Michigan, and it was huge. I never see that size down here.

I’m jealous. You are living the dream!

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
The white tail bucks I get down here, are like big dogs. I can haul one home by myself, so they have to be under 100lbs. It amazes me how they range in size from tiny mini deers down in Florida to huge horse sized bucks up in Wisconsin. I had a buck jump over me while mountain biking in Michigan, and it was huge. I never see that size down here.

I’m jealous. You are living the dream!
Good size Bucks in Michigan range from 140ish on small side up to 200 ish for bruisers. Thats gutted hanging weight. Usually get somewhere around half or slightly more of that in useable meat.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Congrats man! Especially since the initial outlook was grim prior to the hunt. Good score on both since I know you have to get stocked up before winter gets here, takes some of the stress off I’m sure

Reactions: alaskanpiper
Status
Not open for further replies.