PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tom Sawtooth

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
Romania
Good evening Gentlemen.

Few days ago I managed to obtain a tin of Samuel Gawith - Bothy Flake but after I cracked it Open the flakes looks like this.Is it mold ?

20230203_230135.jpg

20230203_225444.jpg

Attachments

• 20230203_225444.jpg
    20230203_225444.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Love
Reactions: rossmycroftholmes

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
I opened a tin of Balkan Sobranie. Had the hiss sound and all … looks like mold but hard to tell. Jarred it and it’s been sitting for a month or two but I guess better safe than sorry and tossing it … only tin I’ve ever opened with mold or what looks to be mold. Certainly not bloom/plume. I got the tin in the last couple years too so not too old.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Good evening Gentlemen.
Few days ago I managed to obtain a tin of Samuel Gawith - Bothy Flake but after I cracked it Open the flakes looks like this.Is it mold ?

View attachment 199480

View attachment 199481
No, this is not mold. Mold doesn’t look anything like this; it blooms, it rises up into fuzzy clumps, sometimes it’s shaded green. This is crystallization that sometimes occurs, naturally, over time. It indicates at least some degree of age in the tin. (I’ve never heard of tobacco crystallizing once jarred, but maybe it happens.)

Honestly, maybe we need a Sticky Thread pinned to the top of the forum that includes one picture of moldy tobacco and one picture of well-aged tobacco. Because I’m at a loss to understand why so many people think their newly opened tins of tobacco are moldy. (But I smoked well-aged tins long before this forum existed, and it never once crossed my mind that the tobacco was anything but delicious leaf with some years on it.)