PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
That is the first I’ve heard about bad CS from SP! I’ve always had stellar service, no questions asked. I have been a patron since 2009 so maybe they give me a little favorable leeway because they know I could have bought a second home with the money I’ve spent on pipes and tobaccos over the years.
What are the dates on your tins that have molded over?
My 2 cents
You've had this open for several months and have been smoking it so the jar has been opened and closed many times plus with a plug you have been handling it to cut it into smokeable portions. My opinion is how is this the blender's fault? Mold is everywhere and just your fingers could have inadvertently exposed the tobacco. Again this is just my 2 cents so take it for what it is worth but I personally wouldn't be sure that C&D is at fault.
Also unless your dishwasher is an autoclave I don't think it heat sanitizes, especially concerning mold spores.
This is a very good point. It may not be C&D’s problem after all. I’ve only had a mold problem with C&D once, made a phone call and in two days my replacement tobacco arrived in the mail.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Just run the old blow torch over the plug and then send it to Jim Inks to review - I believe the blend is called 'Short Cut to Mushrooms' :rofl:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Lol. “The slightly earthy mold adds a stinky, slightly ill taste of fart and fromunda cheese. It sublimates the tobaccos slightly but pairs well with the figgy, bready, stewed fruity flavors from the Perique”. Mmmmm sounds delicious! All in good fun, Jim. All in good fun.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This is the URL, but it wants me to sign in. No can do!
https://gorillafly.imgbb.com/
The top two are valid links, and here's the other photo from your first post:
IMG-0207.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
sanitized in my dishwasher. My wife and I are clean freaks. I think that is why this is killing me.
External moisture, even miniscule amounts can attract bacteria. I only use jars freshly unwrapped and unwashed, they are disinfected before shipping, and once emptied I never use them again.

Sep 18, 2015
Imo a dishwasher does not sanitize jars, unless you’re running bleach in it. It’s very possible that the contamination CAME from the dishwasher.

When I do home canning I wash the jars in hot soapy water and rinse em in a light bleach water, then they go into boiling water to sanitize em.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I’d say this is a simple cross contamination. Whatever was in that Triple Play got into the Jackknife, probably by your hands. Cut your losses, get some Old Dark Fired and call it a day.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Make sure you're storing the tobacco at or somewhat below 72°F -- even for sealed tins.

It's not a sure-fire solution to the problem, but it's a sound practice.

+1 onestrangeone, dishwashers do not sanitize. Everyone who jars foods knows that you have to boil them for at least half an hour and then put them in bleach and water. It has been shown, time and time again, and we even had a member here who tested it, dishwashers put more germs on dishes than the jars would have come straight from the factory. Dishwashers are great for knocking food off of plates and stuff, giving people a sense of false cleanliness, but it is far from truly sanitary.
I'm sorry about your mold thing. I have never tried to return one of C&Ds or GLPs moldy tins. I have thrown away dozens of jars and tins. I just chock it up to the gamble we all take when cellaring. If there wasn't any risk, the rewards wouldn't be as great. And, if you can't afford to lose, don't gamble. :puffy:

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I'll add that the dishwasher was the likely culprit here. I only reuse jars if I am putting the same blend dried out into it. I have yet to have any issues. I always dry out tobacco before jarring as a rule also, not crispy dry but dry.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I would agree with these quasi-scientific assertions if Triple Play and Jacknife weren't repeat offenders in the mold olympics.

gorillafly

Lurker
Feb 20, 2019
I think people are missing what I am saying. Number one, my dishwasher has heat sanitation, and I use a bleach solution. The jars are fine, but the Jack Knife was only in there for about two months, if taking the tobacco out to smoke it can create mold then... God help us. This is only this case anyway. The first tin was mold right off the bat from opening it. I was discouraged from ordering again from SP, so I ordered another Jack Knife from Pipes and Cigars, and the same thing. I opened this one outside and it too had mold.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have no idea why anyone messes around with C&D at this point.
Other than the Bijou incident in 2016, I haven't had an issue with them. SPC even replaced all of my bad tins with Black Frigate. C&D remains my favorite tobacco brand.

Mar 1, 2014
At this point I feel perfectly justified in eating all my meals out of a single ceramic dish that is never ever ever ever washed, but it spends an hour or so at 450f every day.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I definitely reuse my jars, Geesh, throwing them away after one use is cray cray! I never use a dishwasher though, those things disgust me and I don’t trust them. I wash all my dishes, including my tobacco jars by hand. I let the jars dry and I store them in a clean dresser drawer. Usually before it’s time to reuse the jar I stick it in the microwave for a good minute as I figure that will kill off most anything that would threaten my tobacco. So far so good, I’ve never had a mold outbreak from tobacco stored in a jar (knock on wood). I don’t like using bleach so I don’t even keep it on hand.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My mother would always disinfect glass jars with a little swish of brandy before reusing them (after washing them of course). I always reuse jars, but get new lids for them.
I have some C&D tins in storage, you guys are making me a little worried about them now!

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I hand wash, air dry, then oven sanitize when introducing new jars to my tobacco closet. Oven set at 240F, clean jars go in about an hour.
I only had one blend get moldy in 22 years; although, I don't smoke C&D blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.