PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Good evening, everyone. I went ahead and opened my 2nd can of Midsommar. It was tinned on the same date as the other one (July 10,2023).

White powder still present on some parts of the cake, though it's significantly less apparent. Still comes off if touched, still looks like confectioner's sugar under a light. Just like the first tin, the white wrapper in the inside of the tin is also lightly dusted with the powder. Attaching photos for anyone interested.

I'll go ahead and email Smoking Pipes as well as C&D to see what they say. View attachment 295789View attachment 295791
Maybe it’s a special mold inhibitor powder, which is way better than actual mold. Actually, just kidding I have no idea what I’m talking about. But who knows.

chefmike

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
I love this... "you might contaminate yourself" "the thing to remember is that tobacco mold is highly toxic"
I don't think mold is why those big blocky text warnings are put on the tins.
If you have doubts about the health implications of smoking tobacco, yes throw it out. If you are immuno-suppressed, and are still smoking a pipe, I reckon you have made your choice.

And I apologize for any snark heard in the above. It is not personal. I smoke a pipe to calm the many reactionary thoughts I have. But since we are all making wild ass guesses in advance of C&D responding to this gentleman, I will throw out my own: it is packaging residue. The pictures show it all on the edge of the cake. And the statement is made that it covers the paper. My guess (I have a BS degree) is that what is shown in pictures above is transfer to tobacco from the packaging. I bet the powder is on alot of the packaging we discard. I bet it is heavier in places, like maybe the last few tin papers in the bottom of a case. Corn starch, like what is on gloves? A slip additive if they use a machine could be wax or starch?

Obviously this is not current, but at 0:21 seconds in the old C&D tour video they mention they spray the tobacco with "Mycoban". That scares me more than mold. Humans been smoking tobacco longer than we have been spraying it with "mycoban" and then smoking it... (Edited from "Micro" to avoid furthering confusion! See thread linked below. GL pEASE says Myco ban is totally great)

Mold is everywhere. We inhale it all the time. Manage your risk as you choose.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I love this... "you might contaminate yourself" "the thing to remember is that tobacco mold is highly toxic"
If you have doubts about the health implications of smoking tobacco, yes throw it out. If you are immuno-suppressed, and are still smoking a pipe, I reckon you have made your choice.

And I apologize for any snark heard in the above. It is not personal. I smoke a pipe to calm the many reactionary thoughts I have. But since we are all making wild ass guesses in advance of C&D responding to this gentleman, I will throw out my own: it is packaging residue. The pictures show it all on the edge of the cake. And the statement is made that it covers the paper. My guess (I have a BS degree) is that what is shown in pictures above is transfer to tobacco from the packaging. I bet the powder is on alot of the packaging we discard. I bet it is heavier in places, like maybe the last few tin papers in the bottom of a case. Corn starch, like what is on gloves? A slip additive if they use a machine could be wax or starch?

Obviously this is not current, but at 0:21 seconds in the old C&D tour video they mention they spray the tobacco with "Microban". That scares me more than mold. Humans been smoking tobacco longer than we have been spraying it with "microban" and then smoking it...

Mycoban, not Microban.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Good evening, everyone. I went ahead and opened my 2nd can of Midsommar. It was tinned on the same date as the other one (July 10,2023).

White powder still present on some parts of the cake, though it's significantly less apparent. Still comes off if touched, still looks like confectioner's sugar under a light. Just like the first tin, the white wrapper in the inside of the tin is also lightly dusted with the powder. Attaching photos for anyone interested.

I'll go ahead and email Smoking Pipes as well as C&D to see what they say. View attachment 295789View attachment 295791
If you want to bag the tin and put it in the fridge while you wait, you can ship me a chunk off the edge and we can settle this with a microscope.

My strict rule of thumb is that if I feel compelled to take a picture of the tobacco, I just throw it out. Luckily, I haven't had to throw out much over the years, except for a few pounds of Esotericas, GH&co, a few tins of Hearth and Home, and two tins of C&D.
But, if I have any hesitation, I just feel that throwing it out is safer.

The only smart responses on this forum are to just throw it out or to contact the company. You'd have to be insane to take any other advise for potential mold from us dumbasses. I'm not even sure how someone could even enjoy smoking something that they aren't sure about.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
My strict rule of thumb is that if I feel compelled to take a picture of the tobacco, I just throw it out. Luckily, I haven't had to throw out much over the years, except for a few pounds of Esotericas, GH&co, a few tins of Hearth and Home, and two tins of C&D.
But, if I have any hesitation, I just feel that throwing it out is safer.

The only smart responses on this forum are to just throw it out or to contact the company. You'd have to be insane to take any other advise for potential mold from us dumbasses. I'm not even sure how someone could even enjoy smoking something that they aren't sure about.
You mean we aren’t supposed to lick it first?

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas

Obviously this is not current, but at 0:21 seconds in the old C&D tour video they mention they spray the tobacco with "Mycoban". That scares me more than mold. Humans been smoking tobacco longer than we have been spraying it with "mycoban" and then smoking it... (Edited from "Micro" to avoid furthering confusion! See thread linked below. GL pEASE says Myco ban is totally great)

Yeah, there's a bit of snark there, chef. What I actually said was:
But one could potentially contaminate oneself by "handling" the tobacco prior to smoking...

I did not determine it was mold. I did not claim it wasn't mold. I did not evaluate one way or the other. Nor did I attempt to negate the fact that we are literally swimming in a sea of bacteria, viruses, molds, etc.

What I DID, was point out that handling the substance in question COULD expose his system to it in a manner in which he may wish he hadn't.

Getting it on your finger? Accidentally rubbing an eye? Picking your nose? Sniffing it for an "off" smell?

The original concern was potential mold. Some may only think that smoking it is the only way one could be "exposed" to said potential toxin, and I was simply reminding that there's other means of exposure to said potential toxin. Per the original concern...

Alluding to the alleged health risks of tobacco was not helpful to the question.

OTOH, I agree with you that contacting the manufacturer is the reasonable thing to do; it may be a different substance; mold is everywhere; and we inhale potential toxins all the time.

Cheers

attic_piper

Lurker
Sep 22, 2023
Central Virginia
Update for anyone interested:
Smoking pipes customer service responded telling me that it doesn't appear to be mold, but looks more like "antifungal compounds".

"These compounds are typically combined with a carrier agent during the tobacco blending process. While some dissolve completely, others only partially dissolve, necessitating proper agitation to ensure uniform distribution. Occasionally, those that don't fully dissolve can accumulate in the tobacco, creating the appearance you've observed."

Furthermore, they suggest I monitor the situation. If there is no heightened indicators of mold proliferation it's unlikely to be mold, and I can proceed to smoke the tobacco "without concerns".

C&D's response ( allegedly written by Jeremy Reeves himself ):

"I have seen this crystalization only rarely and I am not sure precisely what causes it, but I think it is likely mold of some type."

He proceeded to offer setting up a return via smokingpipes so that I may get some store credits in return, and so that they could get the 2 tins back for "further analysis". No mention of antifungal compounds.

I'll go ahead and return it, but not before I secure a small sample for my own analysis!

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Smoking pipes customer service responded telling me that it doesn't appear to be mold, but looks more like "antifungal compounds".

"These compounds are typically combined with a carrier agent during the tobacco blending process. While some dissolve completely, others only partially dissolve, necessitating proper agitation to ensure uniform distribution. Occasionally, those that don't fully dissolve can accumulate in the tobacco, creating the appearance you've observed."

Furthermore, they suggest I monitor the situation. If there is no heightened indicators of mold proliferation it's unlikely to be mold, and I can proceed to smoke the tobacco "without concerns".

"I have seen this crystalization only rarely and I am not sure precisely what causes it, but I think it is likely mold of some type."

He proceeded to offer setting up a return via smokingpipes so that I may get some store credits in return, and so that they could get the 2 tins back for "further analysis". No mention of antifungal compounds.

I'll go ahead and return it, but not before I secure a small sample for my own analysis!
Sounds like you got two different responses — which would result in two very different actions — from basically the same people. But like you, I’d do what the expert (Jeremy) says to do.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas

Very interesting, different answers. Keep us updated if you hear anything definitive from an analysis.

ChefMike might do a dance in the kitchen if it turns out to be a residue. :col:

Reactions: attic_piper

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The way that white stuff is laying on the tobacco, it doesn't look like mold. It looks like the antifungal nearly all pipe tobacco processors (and commercial bakers) use. Probably calcium proprionate, NOT miconazole.

Either way, by forum rules, and common decency, you should have reached out to C&D before posting here.

attic_piper

Lurker
Sep 22, 2023
Central Virginia
The way that white stuff is laying on the tobacco, it doesn't look like mold. It looks like the antifungal nearly all pipe tobacco processors (and commercial bakers) use. Probably calcium proprionate, NOT miconazole.

Either way, by forum rules, and common decency, you should have reached out to C&D before posting here.

I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with the intricacies of processing and distributing pipe tobacco ( and commercially baked goods). If the nature of the original post is against against forum rules I expect moderators will delete the thread. Common decency? Am I to suppose that bringing another individual's character into question in such an abrupt and lowbrow manner is considered common decency in Pennsylvania?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with the intricacies of processing and distributing pipe tobacco ( and commercially baked goods). If the nature of the original post is against against forum rules I expect moderators will delete the thread. Common decency? Am I to suppose that bringing another individual's character into question in such an abrupt and lowbrow manner is considered common decency in Pennsylvania?
For goodness sakes, pal.
It’s in the forum rules, that you violated, for a reason. Don’t try to blame me for your transgressions.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
There's plenty of "mold check" threads here. You didn't do anything taboo. It is a request for advice/help and not a complaint.

"12. Complaints About a Service / Product / Maker / Brand

Publicly posting a complaint about any service, product, maker, or brand is only allowed AFTER you have contacted them directly with the issue, and given them 36 hours to respond, and another 24 hours to resolve the isuue.

We DO NOT ALLOW posts like this:

"I am unhappy with this pipe I just bought because of....... How in the heck could they even sell this thing... blah blah blah. Should I call them and complain? Should I return it?"

Yes. You should contact them before making a post about it, and you should only post about it if it is unresolved."
I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with the intricacies of processing and distributing pipe tobacco ( and commercially baked goods). If the nature of the original post is against against forum rules I expect moderators will delete the thread. Common decency? Am I to suppose that bringing another individual's character into question in such an abrupt and lowbrow manner is considered common decency in Pennsylvania

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I'd have to disagree with your assessment.
Even so, I don't understand why folks ask for a long-distance diagnosis based on a few out-of-focus and poorly detailed pictures. Normally I don't make an assessment, it's too easy to be wrong. The best advice was stated earlier, if in doubt throw it out, or contact the seller/manufacturer.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Even so, I don't understand why folks ask for a long-distance diagnosis based on a few out-of-focus and poorly detailed pictures. Normally I don't make an assessment, it's too easy to be wrong. The best advice was stated earlier, if in doubt throw it out, or contact the seller/manufacturer.
I wasn’t clear, sorry. I agree with all that 100%, but the OP shouldn’t be posting about the mold concern without first going directly to C&D.