PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

attic_piper

Lurker
Sep 22, 2023
Central Virginia
Any mold doctors in house tonight?

Just cracked open a tin C&D Midsommar that was tinned on the 10th of July, 2023 and was greeted with this peculiar coloration. I wouldn't call this fuzzy, yet it comes off the finger if rubbed. Excellent aroma; no off smell. I took these pictures with the flash on so the white pops out a bit more than in person.

It almost looks like plume, but there sure is a good deal of it for it being less than a year old. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20240313_202158.jpg
    20240313_202158.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20240313_202252.jpg
    20240313_202252.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I’ve got a tin of that too. Still sealed. I was going to wait until Midsummer to crack it open.

I’m no expert, but if mine looked like that, I’d let it air out a little to see if the white stuff spread. And then I’d probably try a bowl of the least affected portions.

Reactions: attic_piper

attic_piper

Lurker
Sep 22, 2023
Central Virginia
I’ve got a tin of that too. Still sealed. I was going to wait until Midsummer to crack it open.

I’m no expert, but if mine looked like that, I’d let it air out a little to see if the white stuff spread. And then I’d probably try a bowl of the least affected portions.

The weather finally started warming up here so I figured I'd finally give this a smoke. I'll leave it in the tin for a few days and see if it spreads. I went ahead and just opened a tin of Tupelo that was tinned within the same week and I'm happy to say it's free of any white spots.

Thanks for the advice and happy smokes.

attic_piper

Lurker
Sep 22, 2023
Central Virginia
Shine a flashlight on it and see if it sparkles.
I tried doing so and there was no sparkling. It looks like powdered sugar.

When shining the flashlight into the tin I noticed something else, however. The white paper that lines the tin is positively covered in this mystery substance. I ran my fingers through an inch of it and will attach the result for any future mold researchers. Can't imagine plume would spread around the paper like that, so I'll go ahead and assume that I was playing with and sniffing mold spores. Hope my other tin is ok...

Attachments

• 20240313_205346.jpg
    20240313_205346.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 17

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I tried doing so and there was no sparkling. It looks like powdered sugar.

When shining the flashlight into the tin I noticed something else, however. The white paper that lines the tin is positively covered in this mystery substance. I ran my fingers through an inch of it and will attach the result for any future mold researchers. Can't imagine plume would spread around the paper like that, so I'll go ahead and assume that I was playing with and sniffing mold spores. Hope my other tin is ok...
Yikes! Yeah, I would not smoke that.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis

attic_piper

Lurker
Sep 22, 2023
Central Virginia
did you email C&D?
I have not yet contacted anyone. The last time I opened a funky C&D tin was around 2018. I had bought it from Smokingpipes and they offered me a refund when I sent them an email. I'll probably open up the 2nd tin I have tomorrow and see if it's also compromised before reaching out to anyone.

Here’s a review from Feb 21, 2024. updating via yoast - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/13231/cornell-diehl-warped-midsommar/?review=123050

If there was mold/white stuff on his cake, it didn’t seem to stop him from smoking it and enjoying it anyway. When I open my tin, I’ll let you know the result but I may keep it sealed for a bit yet. I’m sure smokingpipes would be good for an exchange if it’s bad. No chance of getting more: it was a rather limited run.
I wouldn't call that a recommendation. I follow the rule, when in doubt throw it out. That's just me.

I know there's lots of debate on smoking moldy tobacco but I probably won't do it. I recall seeing Jeremy Reeves himself popping in on a C&D mold thread in the past ( a fungal tin of Steamworks, if I'm not mistaken) and giving some interesting feedback.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have not yet contacted anyone. The last time I opened a funky C&D tin was around 2018. I had bought it from Smokingpipes and they offered me a refund when I sent them an email. I'll probably open up the 2nd tin I have tomorrow and see if it's also compromised before reaching out to anyone.

I know there's lots of debate on smoking moldy tobacco but I probably won't do it. I recall seeing Jeremy Reeves himself popping in on a C&D mold thread in the past ( a fungal tin of Steamworks, if I'm not mistaken) and giving some interesting feedback.
The thing to remember about tobacco mold is that it is highly toxic.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I don't see anything in the review about mold or white powders. 🤔
Which is my point. I looked this up because I was curious if there was either a bad review complaining about mold, or a good one proving that there was no mold. That said: just because mold is present in some tins doesn’t mean that many or most will have it. I think that was the case with the bad tins of Carolina Red Flake back in 2016.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Which is my point. I looked this up because I was curious if there was either a bad review complaining about mold, or a good one proving that there was no mold. That said: just because mold is present in some tins doesn’t mean that many or most will have it. I think that was the case with the bad tins of Carolina Red Flake back in 2016.
Got it now, thanks.

Kilgore Trout

Nov 5, 2019
b. Mold concerns
Mold on the lamina creates two issues. The most obvious is its impact on the smell of the tobacco. If it smells moldy, it will be unpleasant to smoke or use in a smokeless preparation.

A more important issue with mold is its potential to create toxins within the tobacco on which it grows. Of greatest concern is aflatoxin (commonly produced by species of Aspergillus, which may be white, black, gray or yellow). Aflatoxins can permanently damage human tissues, including the liver—and can cause liver failure.

When aflatoxin is burned, during the combustion of tobacco, no toxin is detectable in the smoke. By contrast, aflatoxins that are in non-burned tobacco (e.g. snus, snuff, chew, and the wrapper of a cigar in the mouth) are absorbed into the tissues of the mouth and nasopharynx.

So if there is any concern about using tobacco that might be moldy, its use in cigar filler or a cigarette or in pipe tobacco is probably safe. Such tobacco should not be used in smokeless products or as a cigar wrapper.

Whole Leaf Tobacco - Tobacco Problems - https://wholeleaftobacco.com/wiki/tobacco-problems#:~:text=If%20it%20smells%20moldy%2C%20it,black%2C%20gray%20or%20yellow).

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
b. Mold concerns
Mold on the lamina creates two issues. The most obvious is its impact on the smell of the tobacco. If it smells moldy, it will be unpleasant to smoke or use in a smokeless preparation.

A more important issue with mold is its potential to create toxins within the tobacco on which it grows. Of greatest concern is aflatoxin (commonly produced by species of Aspergillus, which may be white, black, gray or yellow). Aflatoxins can permanently damage human tissues, including the liver—and can cause liver failure.

When aflatoxin is burned, during the combustion of tobacco, no toxin is detectable in the smoke. By contrast, aflatoxins that are in non-burned tobacco (e.g. snus, snuff, chew, and the wrapper of a cigar in the mouth) are absorbed into the tissues of the mouth and nasopharynx.

So if there is any concern about using tobacco that might be moldy, its use in cigar filler or a cigarette or in pipe tobacco is probably safe. Such tobacco should not be used in smokeless products or as a cigar wrapper.

Whole Leaf Tobacco - Tobacco Problems - https://wholeleaftobacco.com/wiki/tobacco-problems#:~:text=If%20it%20smells%20moldy%2C%20it,black%2C%20gray%20or%20yellow).
But one could potentially contaminate oneself by "handling" the tobacco prior to smoking...

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Usually you need to eat aflatoxin for it to have an effect. For my part, what I would fear most is a pulmonary mycosis---allergic bronchopulmonary mycosis or pulmonary invasive fungal infection in immune suppressed patients--from inhaled spores.

attic_piper

Lurker
Sep 22, 2023
Central Virginia
Good evening, everyone. I went ahead and opened my 2nd can of Midsommar. It was tinned on the same date as the other one (July 10,2023).

White powder still present on some parts of the cake, though it's significantly less apparent. Still comes off if touched, still looks like confectioner's sugar under a light. Just like the first tin, the white wrapper in the inside of the tin is also lightly dusted with the powder. Attaching photos for anyone interested.

I'll go ahead and email Smoking Pipes as well as C&D to see what they say. 1000002864.jpg1000002861.jpg