Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I've always felt pipe smoking was much too simple.

Someone needs to design a heat exchange system that will draw moisture and heat away from the chamber walls and cool down the smoke. I"m figuring that all in, including batteries and microprocessor controlled circuitry, we could keep the size and weight down to about equivalent to a brick. Makes it a bitch to clench but think of the advantages.....:ROFLMAO:

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
Popper famously said you can count as many white swans as you like but it does not prove all swans are white. But, if you find a black swan you have proved all swans are not white.

However if you try to smoke a swan it stinks!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Neither Mr. Lee nor Mr. Embers are right. But the latter is closer to the truth. Briar does absorb moisture but minute amounts, forced at high temperatures. (over 400º F.)

That's why when you smoke wet, it takes days to dry the pipe at room temperatures. Also why, if the pipe is smoked dry, a hot water flush will not force water into the briar, as it's a few seconds at 140º, vs. 30 minutes + at over 400º.

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
I've always thought birds eyes were tubes that contain moisture, caught in cross section. Kind of like blood vessels. But according to Wikipedia, it is not known what causes this phenomenon.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Briar does absorb moisture but minute amounts
Just repeating what you and ashdigger have said.

Screenshot_20220713-122641_Samsung Internet.jpg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Proven here countless times, the density of briar prevents it from breathing or absorbing moisture.
When I by accident dunked a Kaywoodie for a few years in a bucket of water, that there pipe done got full on hydroscopic on me, it surely did.:)

When I’m breaking in new Lee, it always tastes good, even new.

But I break one in all the way to the bottom. Near the bottom, during break in, the pipe gets hot and water —-

Condenses from the atmosphere?

Hmmm

Why does a fully broken in pipe no longer get as hot, and where is the water on the bottom of the pipe?

Life is a mystery.

My old old stained Lee apple has no problems with water on the outside of the bowl bottom.

Is it getting trapped inside?

15EEADE7-60B2-475B-AFBD-42724BD264CB.jpeg

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
no clue. When you first light the pipe? More then one pipe does this? Make a video showing your process and hear all the experts condemn you technique. :)
Thanks for the advice, but after 50 years I know how to light a pipe. ?

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I just fired up a Brebbia Linea A with the same situation. I now think it’s the carnuba wax I applied after my last full cleaning ritual a couple weeks ago.

I appreciate all the comments and advice.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Just when I thought I have heard it all, I read a post like the above. I have never heard of anyone dealing with this issue. No newbie, no old timer no one in between.

The carnuba wax explanation makes some sense but I think you would have to put a really thick coat on it and small droplets seem to be too little of an amount. I have owned plenty of highline pipes in my day but I have never seen what you are describing. I will be curious to see if someone comes up with the correct answer.

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
Nor did I ever see anything like it until the past couple weeks.

thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since most pipe smokers don't experience this phenomenon of moisture collected at the outside bottom of the bowl, I suspect it is something about the area where the pipes are stored, like a temperature differential in the room that causes condensation or even a small leak in the ceiling above the pipe rack, some kind of micro climate going on in this particular place. Otherwise, we'd all recognize the pattern and know what causes it. So far, no one else is chiming in with a strongly similar experience.

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I just fired up a Brebbia Linea A with the same situation. I now think it’s the carnuba wax I applied after my last full cleaning ritual a couple weeks ago.

I appreciate all the comments and advice.
I have to admit I was thinking it might be something like that. That doesn't prove a thing but. I was wondering what you might have put on the outside of the pipe. Sorry I have to get sarcastic at times, keeps me from slapping people. Recently there has been some discussions about why does this or that happen that have gotten heated and feelings hurt. In a way I was hoping to at least give a slight hint that such might happen. While also saying that details would probably help because that situation is a bit unusual.

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I have to admit I was thinking it might be something like that. That doesn't prove a thing but. I was wondering what you might have put on the outside of the pipe. Sorry I have to get sarcastic at times, keeps me from slapping people. Recently there has been some discussions about why does this or that happen that have gotten heated and feelings hurt. In a way I was hoping to at least give a slight hint that such might happen. While also saying that details would probably help because that situation is a bit unusual.
I caught that sarcasm and liked it. Best to you and yours.

Reactions: anotherbob

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
Popper famously said you can count as many white swans as you like but it does not prove all swans are white. But, if you find a black swan you have proved all swans are not white.

However if you try to smoke a swan it stinks!
But if you light up a swan neck it can be a pretty fine smoke

Reactions: Sgetz