PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
Long time (50+ year) pipe smoker here. Recently I have detected a droplet of moisture on the outside bottom of my pipes. It is a bit sticky. There is no heat at the point of the droplet, and often occurs when I first light my pipe. I’m confused and curious what may cause it. I’ve seen it with several various pipes, all high grade.

Any thoughts?

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Remember high school science class?

Matter cannot be created or destroyed.

Let’s use round numbers.

There’s four grams tobacco in our briar pipe.

One gram of the weight is water.

Where does that one gram of water go?

Thd tobacco burns at about a thousand degrees.

Water turns to steam at 212

The smoke steam is cool at the bit.

That water has to go someplace.

One place it might escape to, is the briar.

It might go through the briar.

Briar is an amazing wood. For almost two centuries men have tried all the woods under the sun, and almost all wooden pipes use Mediterranean briar, which is growth on a root of a heath shrub.

Briar may be the perfect wood for pipes because it’s capillaries are drawing smoke and steam, all the way through, so you wipe the drops off with your hand.

Last edited:

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Proven here countless times, the density of briar prevents it from breathing or absorbing moisture.
Karl Popper once wrote that "In the empirical sciences, which alone can furnish us with information about the world we live in, proofs do not occur, if we mean by 'proof' an argument which establishes once and for ever the truth of a theory."

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Have you dribbled? I only ask in all seriousness. One of the drinks I drink when I'm smoking my pipe, is apple cider, and despite my large mouth, and even larger moustache, I get fluid running down the stem.
Just throwing it out there.

Reactions: anotherbob

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Karl Popper once wrote that "In the empirical sciences, which alone can furnish us with information about the world we live in, proofs do not occur, if we mean by 'proof' an argument which establishes once and for ever the truth of a theory."
Never heard of him but that's way over thinking it. They're just pipes and the same density of briar that makes it extremely burn resistant prevents it from soaking up moisture. Even stain on a pipe is barely on its outer layers.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Right! That does it.
I'm switching to lignum vitae pipes.
Roh 1250. It sinks in fresh water. Briar sucks!
Unfortunately, lignum vitae has absolutely shitty performance when exposed to temperatures higher than about 175 F. It will literally break apart. Source. Much like everything else in life, pipe smoking is a compromise.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob