PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I grew up 2.5 miles from Fenway Park growing up. Baseball was one of my favorite sports but when the Angels paid Mike Trout 435,000 million I haven't watched a game since. Fuck the Angels for paying him that kind of coin especially since he has done nothing to get his team to the playoffs. Fuck baseball and their insane contracts.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The money has to go somewhere, why not the players who sacrifice most of their lives and well being to the sport?
Most of their lives were spent, as kids, playing a kids' game. Well, until they signed deals to play minor league or college ball. So, they have been well paid for basically risking nothing. Oh sure one fatality I know of and some concussions, torn muscles and the like. But, they know the risk-reward and, like smokers, chose the "game.". For most, the rewards are few. For more than a few the rewards are phenomenal. I don't begrudge the money they make but, the ones risking moneys are the owners. So, the moneys should mostly, and justly, go to those taking the financial risk, shareholders and individual owners.

• Love
Reactions: Chasing Embers

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
One can do both. I watch or listen to competition events to see people at the top of any discipline do their thing. A bunch of 40 year olds playing a game of baseball at the local park, while fun, isn’t the same as watching what’s capable at a professional level.

Two different experiences that serve very different objectives.
Fair point

Reactions: fireground_piper

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
So this is obviously a polarizing subject. Anyone read the linked article? Thoughts on what the author has to say about the chances of longevity of the game?

I love baseball. It's the only sport I can put up with, and am a big Dodgers fan. However, I haven't watched in a while, mainly because the games are on a 3am (UK time), so it's a bit difficult, and also, it's not been quite the same without Vin Scully.

As for the article. I kind of disagree. Sure fitness and analytics have changed the game, and it's inevitable that they would do so and are here to stay. But universal DH? Live Replay? Putting a timer on the pitchers to improve the 'pace of the game'? And sure, let's make sure every team is in the playoffs. I am a thorough conservative in this area, and pretty much hate all of these 'innovations'.

Having a DH league and non-DH made it more fun. And I liked the fact that umpires could screw up, their individuality added to things. And who cares about 'pace of play'? It's baseball, it's not meant to be fast. As for the ever expanding post season? Just skip the leagues and get straight to it then.

In the 15 years I've been watching it, the game has changed at a quicker pace than it ever has since probably the spitball era, and that kind of pace just ain't baseball.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I love baseball. It's the only sport I can put up with, and am a big Dodgers fan. However, I haven't watched in a while, mainly because the games are on a 3am (UK time), so it's a bit difficult, and also, it's not been quite the same without Vin Scully.

As for the article. I kind of disagree. Sure fitness and analytics have changed the game, and it's inevitable that they would do so and are here to stay. But universal DH? Live Replay? Putting a timer on the pitchers to improve the 'pace of the game'? And sure, let's make sure every team is in the playoffs. I am a thorough conservative in this area, and pretty much hate all of these 'innovations'.

Having a DH league and non-DH made it more fun. And I liked the fact that umpires could screw up, their individuality added to things. And who cares about 'pace of play'? It's baseball, it's not meant to be fast. As for the ever expanding post season? Just skip the leagues and get straight to it then.

In the 15 years I've been watching it, the game has changed at a quicker pace than it ever has since probably the spitball era, and that kind of pace just ain't baseball.
Hey, if the pace of baseball is now too fast, may I suggest test cricket? That’s what I follow strangely enough as an American.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Shh! Rob Manfred might hear you.

Funnily enough, I can't stand cricket.
Like baseball, cricket does have a sense of belonging to a different era and pace of life. I like listening to it in the same way I enjoy listening to a baseball game in the background while smoking a pipe in the backyard.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pace of BB games- for the first hundred years or so of the game, there was little competition for amusement/pasttimes to going down to the ball park for an afternoon.

Then came TV, night games, new rules, but in the face of huge competition for TV eyes and butts in seats. So, those who own the clubs see the writing is on the wall: change or shrivel.

GO GIANTS!

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
I will say this about baseball: it’s the one sport where the experience of live game is almost as good as watching it at home on TV. You get plenty of info on the scoreboards, and the pace of the game lets you digest and think about it. Any other sport, going to the game is a hassle IMO. While it’s kinda fun being there, I get much better view of things, more information, and cheaper food from my chair. And I get tobacco. And I don’t have to fight traffic. And I get replays and analysis. Only thing I miss out on is catching the “Suns in Four” title match.