PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I don't smoke it everyday but I always keep some on hand. I have a briar, meer and cob dedicated to M79 because it will ghost any pipe. I highly recommend this blend to either a new pipe smoker or a seasoned vet. I believe a lot of the negative reviews it gets are from pipe smokers who have never tried the blend and just want to get on the naysayers bandwagon.

Thanks for the heads up Chasing, now I'm confident I must get me a pouch of this ,the sooner the better, Why I was neglecting this so long,,
Wait, you are going to forgo many trusted names in tobacco reviews to side with one of maybe six people I have ever heard of that likes this crap? Ha ha, come on, Chasingembers smokes 1Q mixed with Penzance and says he can taste every aromatic he has smoked... Haha!

I didn't hate it, but I do like licorice toppings and casings. My biggest put off was the tobacco tastes that did come through the heavy aromatic toppings. The burley just wasn't within the range of flavors that I prefer... to put it nicely.

I think it deserves every word of the bantering and raillery that it gets. It has kept this tobacco popular with the contrarians and oppositional personality disorders for years. puf

Last edited:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I didn't hate it, but I do like licorice toppings and casings. My biggest put off was the tobacco tastes that did come through the heavy aromatic toppings. The burley just wasn't within the range of flavors that I prefer... to put it nicely.
The only reason to smoke "affordable" burley is for the topping! The more "modest" varieties of burley are the IPA of tobacco: bitter, bitter, bitter! I just stop when I get to the bottom 1/2 to 1/3rd of the bowl when the bitter starts overwhelming the taste of the toppings and dump it out. Besides the old version of Mixture 79, I'm thinking of the dearly departed House of Windsor Field & Stream. Oh, how I miss thee!

Last edited:
Reactions: oldtoby
The only reason to smoke "affordable" burley is for the topping! Besides the old version of Mixture 79, I'm thinking of the House of Windsor Field & Stream. Oh, how I miss thee! I just stop when I get to the bitter 1/2 to 1/3rd of the bowl and dump it out.
I find codger blends to be more expensive than bulk blends. But, they are more accessible. Personally, I can always find something I would rather smoke instead. But, if someone likes it, then smoke what you like.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
I find codger blends to be more expensive than bulk blends. But, they are more accessible. Personally, I can always find something I would rather smoke instead. But, if someone likes it, then smoke what you like.
That's a good point. Relatedly, I think, codger blends also offer simplicity of choice. It's pretty overwhelming trying to figure out which bulk Sutliff, PS or C&D to try; it seems like there's a blend for every constellation in the sky. Just go for the tried and maybe true.

Last edited:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
How close is 79 compared to the old Field&Stream tase wise?
I still have some old 79, but it's been a long time since I've had the HOW F&S, so take this with a grain of salt. F&S was mostly cubed burley, 79 was and is ribbon. F&S was floral but a different kind of floral than 79. Also not as strong topping wise than 79. They're different enough that one's not a substitute for the other. If I knew HOW was going away, I would have tried to stock up.

Last edited: