PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
After reading that interview I finally ordered a pouch. I am looking forward to trying this oh so controversial blend.
Also, remember the tin art from that 'mixture 69' someone got one Christmas? (I think it was a Peck/Harris thing probably?)

Isaac

• Haha
Reactions: hawky454
M

Merton

I think Shane is great. But when I watched this a while ago it appeared to me that he never actually lit the pipe, which did provide a chuckle.

• Haha
Reactions: woodsroad

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I got my pouch of mixture 79 and smoked most of it, my neighbour LOVED it, which is the only reason I did not finish the pouch myself. It was a pleasant enough tasting OTC pouch, I guess you need to like liquorice to enjoy it, since that does come through in the smoke (unlike G & H brown flake liquorice which for me is really not much more than a tin note). I do not really get the floral/soap flavourings that people talk about, certainly not in the obvious lakeland way.
Putting aside all the polarising opinions and reviews on this blend, unless you dislike liquorice I would suggest definitely adding this to the list if you are trying through the OTC pouches. I will not be buying more but certainly enjoyed the pouch.

Isaac.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I got my pouch of mixture 79 and smoked most of it, my neighbour LOVED it, which is the only reason I did not finish the pouch myself. It was a pleasant enough tasting OTC pouch, I guess you need to like liquorice to enjoy it, since that does come through in the smoke (unlike G & H brown flake liquorice which for me is really not much more than a tin note). I do not really get the floral/soap flavourings that people talk about, certainly not in the obvious lakeland way.
Putting aside all the polarising opinions and reviews on this blend, unless you dislike liquorice I would suggest definitely adding this to the list if you are trying through the OTC pouches. I will not be buying more but certainly enjoyed the pouch.

Isaac.
Thanks for the report

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chasing' saved Mixture No. 79 from its punchline status on Forums and hypnotized many of us into trying it. I'm mostly a non-aromatic smoker, with some tobacco forward aros in the rotation for variety. Sure enough, 79 is a good old tobacco forward pouch tobacco (or tubs) that is licorice flavored, but not overdone. It's better than many aromatics, even some pretty good ones. Mostly I like aros with whiskey, rum, liqueur or vanilla flavor, but in 79, licorice does fine.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
OK. I want to play. We have a B&M here in Lutz that sells Prince Albert and a zillion varieties of cigars so logic dictates they will have Mixture No: 79. I think I will pick up a pouch and give it a go. Its not exactly going to ghost any pipe I own. I'll report back in a day or so.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My take from three years ago.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
It’s just not that interesting. And there is no nicotine. So lump it with xxxxx number of ‘Murican blends....just nothing going on.

Reactions: hawky454

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
[
The Brain:
Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky:
I think so, Brain, but if they called them "sad meals" no one would buy them.
/QUOTE] Love Ren and Stimpy to!...

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Given that Mr. chasingembers, a forum member of exceptional standing with whom I share somewhat of an affinity for Captain Black Grape has recommended this blend, I am pleased to report that I have added a pouch to my latest order. I will be happy to share my thoughts with you gentlemen once I have had the pleasure of sampling the blend.

Reactions: Chasing Embers