PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Occasionally, but rarely, I will mix a milder tobacco with a blend I find a bit harsh to take the edge off of it. Most of the time I do not mix blends but will, once in awhile, pack one on top of another in the pipe if I want multiple flavors. Once one finishes the other begins and they are separate and distinct without effecting one another or I've put it down and re-lit. I smoke larger chamber pipes. 20mmx45-55mm.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
i'm thinking about one of those presses. do you think the ones I see on amazon for $16 sufficient for the task?
That is what I’m using. I put the tobacco on a paper plate and microwave for 15 seconds, then I load a sandwich bag and stuff into the press. The bag helps removal and holds in toppings. I crank it down (not a strength contest) and add a 1/4 or 1/8 turn for the first two days. Then wait. You will be surprised at how it changes a blend. For me, it mellows the harsh edges.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
"Haunted Woods" is my mix of 50/50 Haunted Bookshop and Boswell's Northwoods. The drier HB and moister Northwoods mixed together make a perfect ready to smoke dryness (imho) and burns smoothly (and much slower than just HB). The Northwoods mellows out the nic-level of the HB so I can enjoy a whole bowl without feeling like I just got back on shore after a week at sea. 🥴 The ghost must be an olde Engish lady or dandy from way back as the mix releases an unexpected incense/perfume note about 1/3 of the way in, which I do not get from either on it's own... Like a scented powder of old... rose and sandalwood, or..? I speculate the perique is working some magic with the latakia. I can't quite put my finger on this haunting scent...
I pressed it, and it was good.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
"Haunted Woods" is my mix of 50/50 Haunted Bookshop and Boswell's Northwoods. The drier HB and moister Northwoods mixed together make a perfect ready to smoke dryness (imho) and burns smoothly (and much slower than just HB). The Northwoods mellows out the nic-level of the HB so I can enjoy a whole bowl without feeling like I just got back on shore after a week at sea. 🥴 The ghost must be an olde Engish lady or dandy from way back as the mix releases an unexpected incense/perfume note about 1/3 of the way in, which I do not get from either on it's own... Like a scented powder of old... rose and sandalwood, or..? I speculate the perique is working some magic with the latakia. I can't quite put my finger on this haunting scent...
Finished the first pressed cake today. Sooo nice...just glides into an easy bliss. I particularly like that this goes well with beer (so many don't in my experience). I think it is the perfume/incense that supports the tang of the beer (an IPA with a low IBU of 41) and the Latakia doesn't fight it. Developing the story, I do believe the ghost is a dandy with a bowtie, and a name that starts with "M..." I really liked the thin puck that 10 grams resulted in. Just started next press with 20 grams of each ingredient, divided up into four 10g portions, and separated with waxed paper rounds to see how that does keeping the pucks/cakes separate. A week at a time has been good for the pressing.
IMG_2958.jpg IMG_2959.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
most of my blends are either a wild idea that hits me mid smoke (hey this would go great with that other one) or the mix of whatever is left at the bottom of the tin. Fun fact it always seems to either come out so good you start thinking blenders are all over rated or it comes out so terrible it makes blenders look more like wizards.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
most of my blends are either a wild idea that hits me mid smoke (hey this would go great with that other one) or the mix of whatever is left at the bottom of the tin. Fun fact it always seems to either come out so good you start thinking blenders are all over rated or it comes out so terrible it makes blenders look more like wizards.
ain't that the truth! added a pinch of C&D mocha to some pretti 52 to see how that might go and just flattened it all. 52 is gonna stay 'pure' for me!

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
As a new pipe smoker, I’ve been trying a bunch of blends that I thought I’d like, so I’ve got many jarred to try later. However with pouches I didn’t like too much, that there aren’t enough to even bother the cost of a jar on, I’ve picked up a few oz’s of Lane Black Raspberry and Sutliff Sunset Rum-adding a bit of either has made a few good enough to smoke in my rotation to not waste them (Bokrum Riff Bourbon Mix with a little berry is a pretty good “all day but not every day”).
A friend gave me 3oz of Haunted Bookshop he couldn’t stand, that I didn’t like, but I mixed it with a tin of Barbados Plantation and the result was good enough I’ll make more “Haunted Plantation” when it’s gone.

I finally found an aromatic that I really enjoy last week by mixing 2 parts Lane 1Q with 1 part each Sutliff Windsor 805 and Sunset Rum. Just mixed up 8oz of that as my go-to aro.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I like to mix Black Cavendish into a lot of blends that aren't sweet enough for my liking. If I had to do that though I don't buy them again, but it makes it smokable to me so I don't waste it.
I do the same thing. Tobaccos that I won't buy again are mixed with Black Cavendish. Some times it makes a great smoke and other times it makes it possible to clear out a tobacco.