PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

deuceswild818

Might Stick Around
Mar 21, 2021
Charleston, SC
Just sayin', the linked article appears to have come from a pro-pot website and the person from the 'AAA' went on to say that the science 'just isn't there' to correlate blood thc levels and 'drugged driving'

If coffee just recently became legal or had just been made available to the general public we would see an increase in coffee levels in the blood of folks involved in traffic accidents...

I think this hits a nerve for so many folks because it is much more a cultural issue than a practical one (which I think was the very point of the prohibition of cannabis in the first place) ...there has been a very successful, deliberate effort to promote 'reefer madness' for the better part of a century, now.
Yeah for me I don't care what people use, but don't try to make everything a lifestyle or cultural thing. Pot is pot, it does somethings good and somethings bad depending on how it is used. When someone uses and changes their whole persona to 'The Dude' from the Big Lewboski we all know this is most likely not going to be a good end result. People just need to use things for what they are and not try to make an identity out of them.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Well, he is musing on a subject. Just like we do in this thread.
I think he has a healthy perspective, considering being anti-cannabis is going against the current these days.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yeah for me I don't care what people use, but don't try to make everything a lifestyle or cultural thing. Pot is pot, it does somethings good and somethings bad depending on how it is used. When someone uses and changes their whole persona to 'The Dude' from the Big Lewboski we all know this is most likely not going to be a good end result. People just need to use things for what they are and not try to make an identity out of them.
That’s just like, your opinion man.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
AND ANOTHER TOTALLY IRRELEVANT DUDE
Couldn't possibly disagree more. There have been few poets in the world that were able to provide the sense of nostalgia, relation to thought, and surprisingly poignant observations as Hank. Was he intelligent? Not really. Was a genius? Certainly not. Was he a good man? Couldn't be more generally abhorrent in many ways.

But the man had a special talent for observation of the human experience in his little corner of the world, and a skill to relate that experience to a wide variety of readers in their little corners of the world in a few very simple lines.

The poet laureate of back alleys and bar fights, drunken arguments and broken prostitutes, and all manner of sordid goings on in some of the dankest, and darkest pockets of the American life. But somehow able to translate those experiences into a thought provoking revelation of humanity that could touch people in all walks of life.

He was a drunken, chauvinistic, abusive, degenerate gambling, self centered asshole. But I rarely discuss American poetry with anyone without his name coming up, and for good reason. His writing went beyond the word, the line, the rhyme, the structure, (in fact it largely completely ignored it) and got straight to the only important thing that poems provide. Feeling. His poems are probably the most structurally and subjectively ugly that can be found. It some of the most beautiful work I have ever read.

That being said, on this particular subject, he is clearly applying his own (very understandable in his case) opinion to the general population. Some things work for him, other things work for others. That's just the way it is.

Last edited:

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Poets often have a lot to say. Never corrupted? Depends on your definition of corruption or sullying.
What I mean is foremost that Buk was a solitary writer.

He never belonged to any literary movement, or any political or religious ideology.
Buk delved on themes close to politics sometimes and he lived in a time where movements like the Beats co-existed at publishers but he always did his own thing with a sound distance to groups and gatherings of all kinds.
Sometimes he is lumped in with the Beats by critics that didn't do their homework, nothing could be more wrong.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Couldn't possibly disagree more. There have been few poets in the world that were able to provide the sense of nostalgia, relation to thought, and surprisingly poignant observations as Hank. Was he intelligent? Not really. Was a genius? Certainly not. Was he a good man? Couldn't be more generally abhorrent in many ways.

But the man had a special talent for observation of the human experience in his little corner of the world, and a skill to relate that experience to a wide variety of readers in their little corners of the world in a few very simple lines.

The poet laureate of back alleys and bar fights, drunken arguments and broken prostitutes, and all manner of sordid goings on in some of the dankest, and darkest pockets of the American life. But somehow able to translate those experiences into a thought provoking revelation of humanity that could touch people in all walks of life.

He was a drunken, chauvinistic, abusive, degenerate gambling, self centered asshole. But I rarely discuss American poetry with anyone without his name coming up, and for good reason. His writing went beyond the word, the line, the rhyme, the structure, (in fact it largely completely ignored it) and got straight to the only important thing that poems provide. Feeling. His poems are probably the most structurally and subjectively ugly that can be found. It some of the most beautiful work I have ever read.

That being said, on this particular subject, he is clearly applying his own (very understandable in his case) opinion to the general population. Some things work for him, other things work for others. That's just the way it is.
I meant irrelevant to this subject. Not disputing his literary influence. One may as well post anyone’s quoted opinion on the subject.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

Cesar Vallejo is an incredibly smart and influential man... does his opinion matter on this subject as well?

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob