PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That's a hard thing to test for, maybe, maybe there are more crashes from people moving in but also maybe they moved there to get high.
But does that have a correlation to drug use? What about an area that grows immensely in population for any other reason? I’m sure there’s the same correlation.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Seriously though they've been used for this reason for years.
Huh. I personally know several lawyers, engineers, doctors, farmers, and midwives that would beg to differ. Too, I know plenty of straight-laced types that don't imbibe, yet set glued to the telly for the bread and circus sportsball games and Hollywood blockbusters/Netfux original binge series.
what are you bringing up confirmation bias for. Why am I talking about bias so much today?

deuceswild818

Might Stick Around
Mar 21, 2021
Charleston, SC
Of course, we would need to clean up the data and make it a multi-variate analysis. This is just a BS playful back and forth, it's hard to prove causation without police records and person surveys being in the mix. Correlation means d**k.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Of course, we would need to clean up the data and make it a multi-variate analysis. This is just a BS playful back and forth, it's hard to prove causation without police records and person surveys being in the mix. Correlation means d**k.
Thank you, that’s all I’m saying. I’m certainly not saying “drive high”... but there are correlations between all sorts of things that in reality amount to nothing.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I've read some studies about pot and accidents and as far as people actually having thc in their system (which isn't even an indication of being high) it actually seems like pot smokers are less likely to get into fatal accidents but more likely to get into fender benders. Kind of like older drivers. Basically pot makes you drive more like an old person.

Reactions: keith929 and BROBS

deuceswild818

Might Stick Around
Mar 21, 2021
Charleston, SC
Thank you, that’s all I’m saying. I’m certainly not saying “drive high”... but there are correlations between all sorts of things that in reality amount to nothing.
I once saw a correlation between more Nicholas Cage movies and suicides, that could be causation without anymore explorations.

Of course, I agree with you, people should simply state their hypothesis as a possibility and not as hard fact without proof.

deuceswild818

Might Stick Around
Mar 21, 2021
Charleston, SC
I've read some studies about pot and accidents and as far as people actually having thc in their system (which isn't even an indication of being high) it actually seems like pot smokers are less likely to get into fatal accidents but more likely to get into fender benders. Kind of like older drivers. Basically pot makes you drive more like an old person.
Haha well, they also drive 15 mph under the speed limit and usually are only going short distances...pizza shop, hoagie place, etc.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
and always ask you're self who is saying something and what their agenda is. It doesn't disprove them but it should give pause. Especially the question of where the money is coming from and if that money would benefit from you believing something. For example it's amazing how much lobbying money the liquor industry puts into antilegalization groups and causes. Cause competition effects their bottom line. Again doesn't mean they're full of it but maybe don't take everything you hear at face value.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I once saw a correlation between more Nicholas Cage movies and suicides, that could be causation without anymore explorations.

Of course, I agree with you, people should simply state their hypothesis as a possibility and not as hard fact without proof.
Shitty acting always makes me want to shoot myself.

Reactions: pantsBoots

deuceswild818

Might Stick Around
Mar 21, 2021
Charleston, SC
Nic Cage is funny sometimes he acts amazingly and a lot of the time (oh my God). He varies so wildly it almost makes me think that there are two of him and they just share a name and a face.
Maybe for FaceOff they actually did work on another guy and that guy is now ruining his reputation. ConAir wasn't bad but ghost rider was something else.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Just sayin', the linked article appears to have come from a pro-pot website and the person from the 'AAA' went on to say that the science 'just isn't there' to correlate blood thc levels and 'drugged driving'

If coffee just recently became legal or had just been made available to the general public we would see an increase in coffee levels in the blood of folks involved in traffic accidents...

I think this hits a nerve for so many folks because it is much more a cultural issue than a practical one (which I think was the very point of the prohibition of cannabis in the first place) ...there has been a very successful, deliberate effort to promote 'reefer madness' for the better part of a century, now.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Just sayin', the linked article appears to have come from a pro-pot website and the person from the 'AAA' went on to say that the science 'just isn't there' to correlate blood thc levels and 'drugged driving'

If coffee just recently became legal or had just been made available to the general public we would see an increase in coffee levels in the blood of folks involved in traffic accidents...

I think this hits a nerve for so many folks because it is much more a cultural issue than a practical one (which I think was the very point of the prohibition of cannabis in the first place) ...there has been a very successful, deliberate effort to promote 'reefer madness' for the better part of a century, now.
Exactly. There is just not data to back up the haters. So then stretch and reach.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I wonder if it will pull pipe makers into another regulatory umbrella one day if it were to pick up. Kind of like how tobacco pipes are now considered a "Tobacco Product" and under FDA regulation, will this transition eventually force them under some eventual form of regulation that one would imagine eventually comes down for the pot world?

Maybe pipe makers will eventually have to go through 2 sets of regulatory inspections for 2 different markets.

Reactions: BROBS