PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
I just got into pipe smoking in the last year or so. I find my favourite blends contain Latakia. Of course it is not Syrian Latakia. I read a lot of reviews and posts and almost all of them love Syrian Latakia. I wish I had started sooner so I could have at least tried Syrian Latakia for myself. Is it really that different? Any ideas on where I might find some to try?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I just got into pipe smoking in the last year or so. I find my favourite blends contain Latakia. Of course it is not Syrian Latakia. I read a lot of reviews and posts and almost all of them love Syrian Latakia. I wish I had started sooner so I could have at least tried Syrian Latakia for myself. Is it really that different? Any ideas on where I might find some to try?
Syrian latakia blends turn up for sale every now and then. Mac Baren Vintage Syrian is probably the most common. Beware of Ashton Artisan's Blend. Although the label said Syrian latakia up to just a few years ago, Arno van Goor in his Dutch Pipe Smoker blog reported back in 2013 that the manufacturer Kolhase & Kopp had already ran out of the leaf.
I tell you what, a statement made by Mike McNeil about the possibility of Cyprian going the same way doesn't get much talk but, he sounded pretty serious.

Mike S.
The Turks have built new latakia production facilities. I posted a link in another thread to the trade magazine report that I don't have time to hunt down right now.

Last edited:

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Send me your address in a private message, I have something for you.
:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have some of the Mac Barens in my stash, so I'll be interested to see how that smokes. I've never been one to get a heart ache when I'm told tobacco is no longer sold. I'm interested in the outfits that produce and deliver. I can't smoke a daydream. I am enjoying my McC's Dark Star, but when it's gone, it's gone; the McC couple decided to retire, and that's that. I only mourn for the Syrian people and their lot at the hands of their national leader.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
Syrian isn't that different from Cyprian. It is mainly a bit softer and less campfire smokey. Cyprian can be overpowering if used too heavily. Syrian might have a little more aromatic sweet/sour notes. But if you went to the ends of the earth to find Syrian and then tried it you might be a little underwhelmed. It's not THAT much different.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Syrian latakia blends turn up for sale every now and then. Mac Baren Vintage Syrian is probably the most common. Beware of Ashton Artisan's Blend. Although the label said Syrian latakia up to just a few years ago, Arno van Goor in his Dutch Pipe Smoker blog reported back in 2013 that the manufacturer Kolhase & Kopp had already ran out of the leaf.

The Turks have built new latakia production facilities. I posted a link in another thread to the trade magazine report that I don't have time to hunt down right now.
I'll happily take your word for it. That is good news...provided what they use to cure/smoke it is available to them.
Mike S.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I never liked latakia until the Syrian ran out. I got more of a tire fire note in the Syrian to be honest.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
There's a notable difference for sure but I don't care much for either. I've got a pound of the MB Vintage Syrian from 2016 stuck back somewhere. I think I put the original bag in a larger mylar bag and heat sealed it.

Reactions: JOHN72

jrharrigan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
I'll just echo what others have said. There just isn't that much of a difference, and latakia blends are my favorite.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
Syrian is very different than Cyprian. Softer. More incense than smoke.

When I was starting out, the guys in the shop were all smoking lat bombs. It smelled like burning tires to me. Then, I got to try Ashton Celebrated Sovereign - a med strength Syrian latakia English blend. That blend got me going on English blends.

In some of his most popular blends, Greg Pease used both Latakias. My favorite was Renaissance. But, it was already discontinued when I got started.

Later when I got the chance, I tested out all of the McClelland Syrian blends. I chose 3 Oaks Syrian to cellar in quantity.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I was lucky enough to get a tin of Wellauer's Latakia and it was delicious, even though I'm not a Latakia fan. Incense sounds like it.
I haven't tried MacBaren's Vintage Syrian yet, I have it but I'm worried about actual Syrian Latakia percentage in it. Could be just a pinch to justify its name. You can't miss it when it's 100% pure, that's for sure.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I'll happily take your word for it. That is good news...provided what they use to cure/smoke it is available to them.
Mike S.
Here's the report on the new Turkish latakia production: Nurturing a Niche - Tobacco Reporter - https://tobaccoreporter.com/2021/04/01/nurturing-a-niche/
I haven't tried MacBaren's Vintage Syrian yet, I have it but I'm worried about actual Syrian Latakia percentage in it. Could be just a pinch to justify its name. You can't miss it when it's 100% pure, that's for sure.
Syrian latakia was almost half the blend.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013

PM me I've got a boatload I'm willing to part with.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I got a tin of HH Vintage Syrian to try. Quite nice, and I’m glad I got to satisfy my curiosity. But no sense getting too attached since it’s gone.