Missed Opportunities Or Things You Wish You Had Done.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Regrets, yeah, yeah, yeah, I've had a few
But then again, too many to mention here in this limited space.
I did what I had to do, pretty often. Most of the time anyways

Sweet Moses I hate that song! It's the narcissist's anthem. Live life, learn from your mistakes and move on, find joy in what and who you have.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I think I am fairly content. I could not start taking opportunities until I really believed in myself, and that process took some years, is what it is and here we are!
I do make a point of taking present opportunities.

Reactions: HopHand and JOHN72

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Great thread, I’m enjoying reading the responses too.

I wish I would have stuck with making pipes, I got into it, I mean it was a main passion of mine for a few years but life got complicated and I let that part of my life go. I still have all the machinery and tools so I hope to get back into it someday. Not just pipe making but wood turning in general, I found it to be very rewarding.

Leather work, specifically making boots/shoes is something I would like to get into as well.

I have many more but I won’t bore you all with my wants, wishes and regrets. I’m 41 so I still have time.

Bookbinding is something that while watching the series “You” had me thinking I would love to try my hand at that. I started researching it and I found it fascinating, though I’ll probably never get there.

I’ve dappled in cheesemaking, it’s a lot of fun too.

I wish I would have taken something I’m passionate about and made a living out of it. I very much respect those who have done just that.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Not investing big money in Pfizer 2 years ago.
Or Tesla/bitcoin 10 years ago, or, or, or…

Been working with Parma (big pharma) for nearly 10 years now, my bosses always told me that investing in pharma is typically considered like putting your money in the bank as in it is safe, big pharma rarely falls out, but equally rarely jumps up, covid is an exception.

I am nearly 40 now and already regret feeling old and on a set path by 25. Now I see it wasn’t true back then but it is true now with two kids. That’s the watershed for me: responsibility for other people, that’s when change becomes hard.
Got a friend, same age, who was offered, and took the opportunity to be a factory manager in a country considered dangerous for europeans, and a boatload of money. He has no family, he’s a bit of an adventurer. Got another friend who was an oil engineer in an Arab country, also made a boatload of money, had to be evacuated by the Greek military when shit hit the fan big time in the Arab Spring. Also single at the time. I envy their guts to be honest.

Reactions: jewman22

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Flyfishing has always intrigued me. I live watching guys mucking about in the creeks. But, the more I learned about it, the more I realized that it just wasn’t for me. But, making flies still appeals to me, but I set at a workbench making teeny tiny things already. And, the last thing I need is another hobby.
My mother hated both fish and fishing but some how won a fly tying kit or set or some such thing. She set into it and continued to make them my entire childhood and for as long as we stayed in communication probably still does to this day yet as far as I'm aware never once used one herself.

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Flyfishing has always intrigued me. I live watching guys mucking about in the creeks. But, the more I learned about it, the more I realized that it just wasn’t for me. But, making flies still appeals to me, but I set at a workbench making teeny tiny things already. And, the last thing I need is another hobby.
My mother hated both fish and fishing but some how won a fly tying kit or set or some such thing. She set into it and continued to make them my entire childhood and for as long as we stayed in communication probably still does to this day yet as far as I'm aware never once used one herself.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
I guess I've always been the kind of person that if I wanted to do something I did it. No matter the cost to myself or others. It's made life one hell of an adventure but also considerably more difficult then required and left a lot of casualties in my wake.
At this point all my wish I hads are really more wish I had nots.
Such as not adventuring while my peers got educations, not started using, not treated the (ex) wife the way I did or walked out on my young family. It's the normal responsible life/adult/decent human being things I wish I had done. The fun bits on my list I pretty much covered to excess?‍♂️