Missed Opportunities Or Things You Wish You Had Done.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
As I approach my 60th birthday at christmas I find myself again reflecting upon my life and thinking of all those things I wish I had got involved in but for whatever reasons I never did.

Firstly there is beekeeping, something I see as being a very relaxing pastime that can yield a useful product if one goes about it in a correct manner. I'm no huge fan of honey though I can bear it in small quantities, it's just the fantastic process of the bees converting pollen into honey that fascinates me. I've always envisaged beekeepers as being relaxed, patient types, something that not many folk would say of myself!

Secondly there is cheese making, I'm a great fan of cheese (though I detest goat's cheese!) and am fascinated by the huge variety of cheeses available that are essentially produced from the same basic ingredient. I lived on a farm for nigh on 11 years and though we had no milking herd, the farm across the road did, so access to quantities of milk would not have been a problem but for some reason I never took advantage of the opportunity. Some years ago an amateur cheesemaker here in Cornwall came up with a unique cheese which he then wrapped in stinging nettle leaves, now Cornish Yarg (as it is called) is being sold all over the country and beyond!

Thirdly I would have loved to be able to read, write and more importantly speak Anglo Saxon. Having had an interest in history, specifically early English history since my school days, this has often brought me into contact with scripts originally written in the old language and I so wished I was able to read the original rather than a translated version. I studied to various levels French, German and Latin but was never too good at any of them though if I had concentrated more on German that perhaps might have spurred me on towards learning Anglo Saxon but alas it never happened.

Finally there is bookbinding. This is a fantastic thing to study and has far more aspects to it than one might imagine. Of the four interests I have listed here, this is the only one that I have made any inroads into though by no means could I ever call myself a bookbinder. This interest is partly down to my interest in old books of which I have many, some going back to the early 1600's. I made my own nipping press for the repairing of some of my own books and have learned many techniques for doing said repairs though I have never dared go anywhere near learning how to re-sew bindings, that is a very skilled aspect that needs to be taught practically and not through reading about it.

So guys, what are the things, hobby or otherwise, that you wish you had accomplished in your earlier years but for whatever reason failed to do?

Regards,

Jay.

Jay, those are interesting pursuits that I also have never done. I do know, or have met people who keep bees, bind books, and make cheeses, but I didn’t even know that there were people who still speak Anglo Saxon.

Flyfishing has always intrigued me. I live watching guys mucking about in the creeks. But, the more I learned about it, the more I realized that it just wasn’t for me. But, making flies still appeals to me, but I set at a workbench making teeny tiny things already. And, the last thing I need is another hobby.

Model plane builders impress me as well. I love it when they add such details as exhaust stains and bullet holes, but same as fly making…. I just don’t need another hobby.

Jun 25, 2021
England
I've been reading Anglo-Saxon since I was a boy, and I have fluent German.
Like yourself, I've done some bookbinding, and I'm quite pleased with the results after some practice.

What I would like to have done might sound a bit crazy, but I would have liked to have been a sniper with the SAS.
Furthest I ever got what was the Army Cadets.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I wish I had the sense to go to law school 45 years ago.
I regret not picking up a guitar till I was almost 50
I definitely should have kissed that girl back in 10th grade.

Last edited:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Beekeeping was big on my list of things I want to do. But lawn Nazis here won't deal with it. So started growing figs again. Enjoyed it before, and it has additional benefit of growing my own food. Some sort of exercise would be also beneficial. My body can't take what I loved when I was younger, but riding bicycle again is in the book. Musical instrument is always something nice. Tin whistle, maybe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There's a hockey rink=sports complex I wish I'd invested in 45 years ago. I did work in Russia which I'd wanted to do since a child when I heard my father's stories of Grand dad running logging camps there. There are not ma ny things I passed on when given the chance.

Reactions: JOHN72 and kurtbob

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Bees, cheese, bookbinding — Life in the fast lane! ☝️?lol. —I’d actually like to go back and undo a few things. But we can’t go one minute backward. — Marriages could’ve gone better. My Children I’d have spent more time with. Hobby’s? —- I’ve had many. Started boxing in the 82nd with authorization to train in lieu of PT—Want to know where that may have taken me. But I have very few regrets. I’ve had quite an exciting ride.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
WFO since 1978. No need for regrets or a need for mid life crisis. 3 major armed conflicts, raised 6 kids and many more from the military, 4 wives, road racing motorcycles and have lived in or spent time in many different country’s. I sir am very good with peace and serenity at 56 years on this rock?

Mar 1, 2014
Learn to tell people to F*ck off.
Most mistakes in life are entirely my responsibility, but some of them are a matter of being too trusting of others.
Even if you know nothing, when the primary impact is to your own life then your own conclusions are what matters most.