SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
For those who might of clicked on this thread out of mere boredom and might be of the mind that techno is just one sort of hyper dance music, as I once was, here are some tracks from two of my absolute favorite artists working in the sub genera of minimal techno / loops music. If on the other hand you are already into such music please share some of your favorite tracks and artists.

The Field:

Wolfgang Voigt's GAS:

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
For those who might of clicked on this thread out of mere boredom and might be of the mind that techno is just one sort of hyper dance music, as I once was, here are some tracks from two of my absolute favorite artists working in the sub genera of minimal techno / loops music. If on the other hand you are already into such music please share some of your favorite tracks and artists.

The Field:

Wolfgang Voigt's GAS:

Check out anything from the label A Strangely Isolated Place.

I’m rather new to the genre, and not exactly sure what these differences are. But, I kinda think of those you posted as ambient.
I git turned on to electronica by watching the intro tot he series “The New Pope” on HBO. Sofi Tukker has made many different songs for movies, series, and I even hear them on most commercial s now. I really like their tunes and lyrics.
It isn’t exactly the same genre as yours, but…

Jan 27, 2020
I’m rather new to the genre, and not exactly sure what these differences are. But, I kinda think of those you posted as ambient.
I git turned on to electronica by watching the intro tot he series “The New Pope” on HBO. Sofi Tukker has made many different songs for movies, series, and I even hear them on most commercial s now. I really like their tunes and lyrics.
It isn’t exactly the same genre as yours, but…

Well, minimal techno is somehow related to ambient. These generas are kinda stupid ways to categorize things and don't make much sense but music writers need to earn a living I guess by labeling things.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
You are speaking my language, sir.
ricardo-villalobos-dj-ricardo-villalobos-1.gif

Coming up in Detroit wasn't all bad. For me, the king of minimal is Ricardo Villalobos. I've been wearing these two mixes out recently: tINI B2b Ricardo Villalobos - Circoloco Ibiza 11 09 2013 Desolat - https://m.soundcloud.com/thodoris-maroulis/tini-b2b-ricardo-villalobos-circoloco-ibiza-11-09-2013-desolat

You can't go wrong with most of his stuff. Also heartily recommend Richie Hawtin, Ellen Allien, DJ Hell, and Sven Väth. They play with different styles and genres, but when either hits a minimal groove, it's time to check the speedometer if you're currently in the car.
ricardo-villalobos-dj-ricardo-villalobos.gif

Jan 27, 2020

Autechre's album "Amber" is a favorite

Autechre are one of those artists that despite appreciating I was never able to really get into not for a lack of trying. Do you like Plaid, their long time label mates? I was slated to go see them a few months ago but sadly their tour was rescheduled due to not being able to make any money on it, or so I've read :(

Reactions: kg.legat0

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Well, minimal techno is somehow related to ambient. These generas are kinda stupid ways to categorize things and don't make much sense but music writers need to earn a living I guess by labeling things.

English, Balkan, Scottish - at least we don’t have the same madness in pipe tobacco!

Check out the album “Iridescence of Clouds” by Illuvia.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
I just really like to explore all sorts of music. I’m not opposed nor attracted to just one genre. Thanks for the post.
Me too as well. The day I don't want to explore new music and such will be a very sad day... curiosity might of killed the cat but I believe a lack of curiosity often kills the human spirit.

Reactions: pantsBoots
Jan 27, 2020
English, Balkan, Scottish - at least we don’t have the same madness in pipe tobacco!

Check out the album “Iridescence of Clouds” by Illuvia.

Will do! One of the great things about this forum is it often challenges my assumptions of what other members are into. It's not all Herb Albert and whatnot, thank god.

• Haha
Reactions: BarrelProof

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Autechre are one of those artists that despite appreciating I was never able to really get into not for a lack of trying. Do you like Plaid, their long time label mates? I was slated to go see them a few months ago but sadly their tour was rescheduled due to not being able to make any money on it, or so I've read :(

I have listened to Plaid but have not deliberately dug into their music - I should do that!