Menthol Cigarettes Banned By FDA. Can Pipe Tobacco Be Next?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I get it that cigarettes are risky. Studies show that because all cig smokers inhale, the introduction of nicotine and other chemicals is somewhere between 100-200 times the amount that a pipe or cigar smoker that does not inhale receives through the the epidermal layers of the mouth. Sure it's still not good for you and if you inhale well, that's another story.

Cigarettes are made for the sole purpose of delivering nicotine as quickly into the bloodstream as possible. Some would argue it's not even real tobacco that you're smoking.

This interesting video from the History Channel:

Smoking a pipe is kinda like getting "baked" and most of us smoke much less that a cig smoker per diem hence why most of us are not nicotine dependent or addicted. I would miss my pipe if I didn't smoke for a month, but I would be breaking furniture and kicking the dog by day 3 or 4 like a cig smoker.
Now i want to hear about the cigarette’s “humble origins”

• Haha
Reactions: sandollars

Well, I don't know the whole story but it started something like this:

Mr. R.J. Reynolds and his management team were inspecting their pipe tobacco factory.

Reynolds said to one of his team "What are we going to do with all the rejected shit tobacco on the floor that the employees are walking on?"

And the rest is history.... puffy

Mr. R.J. Reynolds and his management team were inspecting their pipe tobacco factory.

Reynolds said to one of his team "What are we going to do with all the rejected shit tobacco on the floor that the employees are walking on?"

Wait, I thought that was Carter Hall. puffy

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Cigarettes are made for the sole purpose of delivering nicotine as quickly into the bloodstream as possible. Some would argue it's not even real tobacco that you're smoking.
Tobacco was cultivated for the purpose of filling a market need. I believe "ready rolled" cigarettes were made for the sole purpose of profit by the manufacturer to meet a market need. The nicotine of a course, a wonderful side effect of the tobacco. The pipe and tobacco marriage was developed for the same reason, nicotine delivery. Burning holding burning tobacco in one's hand and snuffling at it would be a bit painful. Hence a pipe, rolling in something or simply chewing. There is nothing remarkably noble about the pipe. It is/was a simple way to deliver nicotine. Those in the know when tobacco arrived in Europe decried it's use entirely. But, nicotine won out.

Humble? Tobacco was not for the "poor", if that's the way you are using "humble." Rolling your own was simply an alternative to the pipe, snuff and the "chaw." I believe the original users of the weed were "hand rolling" pre-Columbus. Roll the leaf, roll the leaf in another leaf, stuff it in a pipe or your jaw, nicotine is what was/is wanted by the brain. In spite of the deniers of course who wouldn't admit it, nicotine is the only reason people use tobacco. If not for the drug, nobody would have given the weed a glance.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I'm not sure what makes me more nauseous, the people who want to ban tobaccos or the drastic overreaction to it by smokers.

You want menthols after they are banned, spray them with a mint spray.
You want a flavored cigar, then flavor them.
IF... if they ban flavored pipe tobaccos, then flavor you some.

Dependence on corporations to do all of this stuff for you is weak. I make my own wines, grown my own tobaccos, and it's like hearing people who can't cook and order out for all of their dinners scream when they can't get Doordash or their Pizza app work. "We're gonna starve to death!"
+1 ?

1651245032340.png

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Big tobacco can drag this on for years. I don't see it happening too soon. The pipe tobacco lobby better get their shit together as they are next on the hit parade. It is real easy to ban a tobacco that advertises it tastes like Cherry or Vanilla or any other fruit topping.
Since all pipe tobacco is flavored is some way or the other, the subtle flavored blends like a Capstan Flake is not as easy to go after. I don't see the FDA getting a hold of Capstan and reverse engineer it so they can determine the flavorings and then ban them.

Having said that, I did buy Cult Blood Red Moon and Molto Dolce on spec. I figure I can get 500.00 a tin once those flavors are banned. Actually I only have maybe 20 tins of each to have around when none smokers dare to enter my smoking house.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis

"Humble" -- kind of like Wilbur the pig ... close to the earth.;)

Reactions: sandollars

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Tobacco was cultivated for the purpose of filling a market need. I believe "ready rolled" cigarettes were made for the sole purpose of profit by the manufacturer to meet a market need. The nicotine of a course, a wonderful side effect of the tobacco. The pipe and tobacco marriage was developed for the same reason, nicotine delivery. Burning holding burning tobacco in one's hand and snuffling at it would be a bit painful. Hence a pipe, rolling in something or simply chewing. There is nothing remarkably noble about the pipe. It is/was a simple way to deliver nicotine. Those in the know when tobacco arrived in Europe decried it's use entirely. But, nicotine won out.

Humble? Tobacco was not for the "poor", if that's the way you are using "humble." Rolling your own was simply an alternative to the pipe, snuff and the "chaw." I believe the original users of the weed were "hand rolling" pre-Columbus. Roll the leaf, roll the leaf in another leaf, stuff it in a pipe or your jaw, nicotine is what was/is wanted by the brain. In spite of the deniers of course who wouldn't admit it, nicotine is the only reason people use tobacco. If not for the drug, nobody would have given the weed a glance.
"if not for [nicotine]" ... yeah, got to admit nicotine-less pipe tobacco has about as much appeal as non-alcoholic beer.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I would guess some of the drive for the development of the cigarette was ease of smoke while laboring. Just seems logical, A farmer plowing a field could easily do so with a pipe clenched. A ditch digger? The cigarette was probably easier to control. And maybe fit better in a "break."

You can look around in some parts of towns and see people salvaging butts, cigar and cigarette, long enough for a couple of puffs.

I think also, only smoking for five minutes to get a quick fast acting, short lasting nic hit benefitted a working class that was being harassed into shorter work breaks.

In pipes we get up to 10x's more nicotine, except over a much longer period of time, and we continue to absorb the nicotine long after we put the pipe down. But still, it takes 45 minutes to an hour and a half to enjoy a pipe. A cigarette is like 5 minutes, and then back to work.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I’m not sure poking at cigarettes or cigarette companies is a good thing to do. Nothing related to consuming tobacco, or any other of life’s little pleasures, are harmless outside of enjoyment. And so far as the companies that supply our pleasure related needs? Any company down plays and/or ignores any harm their product/service causes to keep making money, no matter what they make. And they all cause harm.

I wrote my representatives here in ct when they tried to ban menthol cigs here. I don’t smoke them, but those who do are in the same boat with us. I’m personally not hoping the alligator eats us last, I’m hoping we can kill the alligator, and make nice looking baccy pouches from its skin lol.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I don't smoke cigarettes, never have, so I don't get very worked up by these announcements nor do I worry much that pipe tobacco will be next. I think the more likely event would be the imposition of additional taxes. Part of the reason I cellar is an assumption that the regulatory landscape will change over time.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I don't smoke cigarettes, never have, so I don't get very worked up by these announcements nor do I worry much that pipe tobacco will be next. I think the more likely event would be the imposition of additional taxes. Part of the reason I cellar is an assumption that the regulatory landscape will change over time.
Like you, I have never smoked cigarettes and I don't worry about the changing regulatory landscape.

Instead, I use stories about higher taxes and tighter regulations as justification to buy more pipe tobacco I like before the changes come in. I may not have the cellars that some of you guys have, but I think I have enough to last me five or six years if I didn't buy anymore.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Apparently menthol hides the taste of tobaccos. Most here appears to like the taste of tobacco.
Funny thing, that. I smoked Cigarettes for 20 years and never ever could stand the smell or the taste. Pipe tobacco though, I could smell that forever. it's a completely different beast. It's like comparing Mountain Grown Folgers to [ insert-your-favorite-small-batch-roaster-coffee-here ]. 1 is 10 year old leftover beans of the lowest Robusta quality roasted and ground at the factory, stored in a warehouse for years before it gets on the shelf. The other is fine, picked and fermented this season Arabicas, roasted less than 10 days ago.

Funny this, some people like the smell and taste of stale coffee.

Not judging, just comparing. puffy