Menthol Cigarettes Banned By FDA. Can Pipe Tobacco Be Next?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Title shortened. See bolded part in the original:

"Menthol Cigarettes Banned By FDA along With Flavored Cigars - Can Pipe Tobacco Be Next?"

This was in the NY Post - I wonder if it will effect flavored pipe tobacco? More importantly I wonder how long it will be before some government FDA drone decides that flavored pipe tobacco is the same as a cigar but without a wrapper. Remember promotion beckons for the zealot who finds something new too proscribe. More staff, bigger office, bigger pension, fatter promotions all paid for by you the tax payer!

Last edited by a moderator:

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
It’s a proposal that has been in the works for 10 yrs. I doubt that you’ll see anything for a few years, but there certainly has been a lot of chatter.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I wonder where regular cigarettes fall into this, considering brands such as Camel spray spice extractives (such as cinnamon) on their "unflavored" blends. Will there be some sort of cutoff in ppm, or will Camel et al reformulate their blends to exclude the flavorings? Or will a suitcase full of greenbacks fix that little detail?

I get it that cigarettes are risky. Studies show that because all cig smokers inhale, the introduction of nicotine and other chemicals is somewhere between 100-200 times the amount that a pipe or cigar smoker that does not inhale receives through the the epidermal layers of the mouth. Sure it's still not good for you and if you inhale well, that's another story.

Cigarettes are made for the sole purpose of delivering nicotine as quickly into the bloodstream as possible. Some would argue it's not even real tobacco that you're smoking.

This interesting video from the History Channel:

Smoking a pipe is kinda like getting "baked" and most of us smoke much less that a cig smoker per diem hence why most of us are not nicotine dependent or addicted. I would miss my pipe if I didn't smoke for a month, but I would be breaking furniture and kicking the dog by day 3 or 4 like a cig smoker.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Pipe blends, like water in Southern California, Nevada and the like, will be available to whose who can afford it. There really is no point in banning something which, while losing in popularity socially, generates much in taxes. Although, as the users of marijuana have quickly discovered, legalization means regulations and increased taxes. So, illicit growers continue to thrive. Some growers preserve a percentage of their legal crop for the underground trade and also vend legally. Home grown and distributed tobaccos may become economically worth the risk in some areas. But, tobacco dependant countries will continue to find a market for their different cash crops.

Gotta love unintended consequences.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
They tried it in Connecticut, IIRC, they didn't have the votes to bring it to the floor for a vote.
Many folks aren't complete unless they are worrying about what might happen in the future. The best bet for those truly worried is to fill the basement with blends. I prefer to try and handle the problems at hand. I do try and project the future when it comes to investing. I have my daughter to think of and I want to be able to afford blends when they get expensive. I should live so long!

I'm not sure what makes me more nauseous, the people who want to ban tobaccos or the drastic overreaction to it by smokers.

You want menthols after they are banned, spray them with a mint spray.
You want a flavored cigar, then flavor them.
IF... if they ban flavored pipe tobaccos, then flavor you some.

Dependence on corporations to do all of this stuff for you is weak. I make my own wines, grown my own tobaccos, and it's like hearing people who can't cook and order out for all of their dinners scream when they can't get Doordash or their Pizza app work. "We're gonna starve to death!"