PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
Frank, it's interesting you should ask about that. I often wonder about it myself because such pipes were in widespread production at one time. I have a pipe exactly as you describe in a small calabash shape from the 1950s, with an acrylic stem and a metal reinforcement band. The manufacturer made lots of clay Peterson system pipes. The only modern clay manufacturer I know of that makes pipes as you describe would be Lepeltier in Vermont, recommended by a user on here. I haven't owned one but they look great.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
molach95 -
I often wonder about it myself because such pipes were in widespread production at one time.
Although many have denied this...the Native American Indian also smoked using the old clay pipe. I've been to farm fields in the Northeastern U.S. where they once populated those areas. I'm talking as far back as the late 1600's. There, along with colorful Indian beads, we have found hundreds of full and broken clay pipes. I know that the first fur traders to this area used to trade away to the Indians, clay pipes for Indian goods.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
Ah sorry indianafrank, I'd meant Frank in NYC (sumusfumus) who was asking about more modern clay pipes. That's really fascinating though that Native Americans were trading for European clay pipes. I suppose it makes sense that the European way of enjoying tobacco would be different enough from traditional Native practises that it could have been attractive to them. I wonder if they traded for European-processed tobacco too? I admit I don't know enough about how the Native Americans consumed tobacco.
Also, in response to the discussion about pipe notches in teeth, this is an example found in an archaeological dig (19thC):
Post-33-b-Teeth-worn-away-by-chewing-on-clay-pipe.jpg

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Did a little digging around at the Lepeltier website and other places. Apparently, ceramic/clay pipes can really heat up, and become difficult, if not impossible, to hold. Churchwarden length stems, etc, were a necessary requirement because of this heat factor.
Lepeltier pipes have a double-wall for insulating against heat from getting to the hand/fingers. A solid, porcelain pipe, while strong, would probably feel like a furnace, and thus, would not work, commercially. Who'd buy one?
So now, I know the answers to my speculations. I thought pipes made from high strength ceramics, would be a viable idea...but, I guess there would be no market for a red-hot pipe that could cook your fingers.
Frank

NYC

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
Frank(NYC), that may be a bit of marketing from Lepeltier. Clay pipes get very hot, but only to the point they're uncomfortable to hold if you smoke them very quickly and burn your tobacco thoroughly. This is why most clay smokers, myself included, actually hold the pipes by the stem like cigarettes or cigars. I only notice how hot my pipe is when I touch it during tamping.
I have yet to smoke my stemmed Peterson system clay but I imagine that because it is quite thick walled it will take longer to heat up, and when it does I can just hold it differently.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Clay pipes get very hot, but only to the point they're uncomfortable to hold if you smoke them very quickly and burn your tobacco thoroughly.
Reminds me this one:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cosmics-pipe-belt-ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.